PDA

View Full Version : Incident at World's Fair Marina

AirtrafficController
2007-08-13, 06:16 PM
I headed out to the World's Fair marina with my dad for some 31 arrivals. It was a nice but cloudy day to get some shots. I was getting some nice banking from the aircraft and I was enjoying myself. I was at first approached by the director of the marina and asked me politely about what I was doing and we had a nice chat. He later came along a second time and he was friendly. Another guy came along and asked what camera I had and lens and the friendly person went on his way. When I finished shooting, me and my dad headed down the boardwalk to our car. Halfway there, an overweight fellow followed us and asked about what I was doing. He asked us what is the deal with the camera and scanner? I could tell he was distressed when he used the f word a couple of times. My dad started to get a little angry and told him that there were more photographers at JFK. Before an argument broke out, I calmed my dad down and told the fellow that I am an aviation entusiast and that it is my hobby for taking pictures of aircraft. I told him also that its his everyright to ask me what I was doing. I told I knew he would be distressed during these times after 9/11. We later left the marina and headed home.

emshighway
2007-08-13, 06:54 PM
So a fat guy chased you down the boardwalk? I resemble that remark.

Did he identify himself? If not, blow him off.

stuart schechter
2007-08-13, 07:30 PM
When were you there. I was there for 3 hours today on the boardwalk and never got spoken to.

AirtrafficController
2007-08-13, 07:31 PM
I was there from 3 to 5.

Gerard
2007-08-13, 08:06 PM
>When I finished shooting, me and my dad headed down the boardwalk to our car. Halfway there, an overweight fellow followed us and asked about what I was doing. He asked us what is the deal with the camera and scanner? I could tell he was distressed when he used the f word a couple of times. <

Was this yesterday? Maybe a drunken Met fan? :lol:

moose135
2007-08-13, 08:23 PM
Maybe a drunken Met fan? :lol:

Hey, now I resemble that remark http://moose135.smugmug.com/photos/183649857-L.gif

Tom_Turner
2007-08-13, 08:24 PM
There's a guy that frequents that area - occasionally in an army camoflage jacket or shirt. He calls the police and then asserts himself into the dialogue. He can never wrap it around his mind what we do.

Tom

emshighway
2007-08-13, 08:48 PM
There's a guy that frequents that area - occasionally in an army camoflage jacket or shirt. He calls the police and then asserts himself into the dialogue. He can never wrap it around his mind what we do.

Tom

Oh I have to take a trip to the marina and run into him. I'll wrap his head around something :twisted:

Gerard
2007-08-14, 08:41 PM
[quote="Tom_Turner"]There's a guy that frequents that area - occasionally in an army camoflage jacket or shirt. He calls the police and then asserts himself into the dialogue. He can never wrap it around his mind what we do.

Uh,sounds like a CONFIRMED EDP to me!!

cancidas
2007-08-15, 11:57 PM

Tom

Oh I have to take a trip to the marina and run into him. I'll wrap his head around something :twisted:

let me know when you do. my attitude adjuster is just lying around collecting dust these days...

emshighway
2007-08-16, 11:54 AM

Tom

let me know when you do. my attitude adjuster is just lying around collecting dust these days...

Ahh, the good old days of leaving a "Motorola" impression on someone's forehead!!! :mrgreen:

mirrodie
2007-08-16, 03:12 PM
My goodness.

My mommy won't let me go spotting with you kids anymore. You kids are too violent! :shock: :shock:

T-Bird76
2007-08-16, 04:34 PM
My goodness.

My mommy won't let me go spotting with you kids anymore. You kids are too violent! :shock: :shock:

Hey look who's talking.....Howard Beach, winter, towing dude???? Ring a bell? ;)

wunaladreamin
2007-08-16, 06:08 PM
Motorola shampoos for everyone!!!

AirtrafficController
2007-08-20, 09:13 PM
My dad just told me I think someone wrote down our liscense plate # while we were leaving the marina.
I am not worried.

Tom_Turner
2007-08-21, 12:03 AM
We've had at least a couple of instances of people taking down license plates at Planeview Park.

Must be something in the water over there....

Tom

emshighway
2007-08-21, 11:11 AM
People should be taking down a license plate as opposed to confronting someone when they have no authority to.

If you are not doing anything wrong it shouldn't bother you.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-21, 11:28 AM
Well, taking down a license plate will probably give the persona visit from the police at your home or maybe even a tail for a few days, no?

NIKV69
2007-08-21, 12:53 PM
Well, taking down a license plate will probably give the persona visit from the police at your home or maybe even a tail for a few days, no?

I got a little too close to the Janet terminal at LAS with my camera and some guy in a white pickup drove up and wrote mine down. No big deal. I have nothing to hide.

emshighway
2007-08-21, 01:01 PM

PAPD??? :roll: That means they would have to get out of the car :lol:
NYPD?? Not unless you committed a crime.
FBI?? Not a big enough fish :wink:

moose135
2007-08-21, 03:28 PM
People should be taking down a license plate as opposed to confronting someone when they have no authority to.

If you are not doing anything wrong it shouldn't bother you.

A while back I was running around doing some errands, and stopped at the local fast food place for lunch. I was sitting out in the car eating, when I saw a tow truck pull up to a nearby car (with no driver or store employees around) hook up and tow it away. Don't know if it was stalled, illegally parked, or whatnot. I grabbed the camera from the back seat, and took a few shots (through the windshield). I figured if I heard about someone stealing cars disguised as a tow truck operator, I would pass them along to the PD, but I sure wasn't going to get in the guy's face over it.

MarkLawrence
2007-08-21, 03:41 PM
A while back I was running around doing some errands, and stopped at the local fast food place for lunch. I was sitting out in the car eating, when I saw a tow truck pull up to a nearby car (with no driver or store employees around) hook up and tow it away. Don't know if it was stalled, illegally parked, or whatnot. I grabbed the camera from the back seat, and took a few shots (through the windshield). I figured if I heard about someone stealing cars disguised as a tow truck operator, I would pass them along to the PD, but I sure wasn't going to get in the guy's face over it.

Or - it was a REPO Moose - that happens a lot - they just hook up and go....

emshighway
2007-08-21, 04:55 PM
I have seen DOT in Manhattan hook without even writing the summons, they write it when they get to the pound.

As far as the fast food joints and private tows snagging cars, a famous one use to be the Roy Rogers next to St. John's Hospital on Queens Blvd. I blocked the tow with my bus (slang for Ambulance) back in the 80's when I saw them hook an old man's car and he was on line in the store. We walked in and spoke to the man and had him shove his receipt in the manager's face. The tow guy booted the car and tried the "nothing I can do" excuse. Well the old man's son worked NYPD ESU and guess who showed up. Ever see what damage a Hurst Tool can do to a wheel boot?

Boy was the tow guy pissed!!! :mrgreen:

adam613
2007-08-21, 05:01 PM
Ever see what damage a Hurst Tool can do to a wheel boot?

Is it similar to the damage caused by a jackhammer (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_City_of_New_York_vs._Homer_Simpson)? :)