PDA

View Full Version : Camera or PS Color Problems?

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-13, 02:34 PM
So I haven't used my SLRs in a while because of work. I'm now starting to get to use it more, and am remembering some of the problems that I'd been having a while back.

I'm very used to using my 10D for stuff, and then I upgraded to a 20D. I love the speed of the camera and several features that make me feel I was ignorant to how slow and sub-par certain features of my 10D were. However, I had been having a tough time with my camera in terms of exposure and color.

When I look at the pics on the computer, they had a reddish cast. I've tired different exposures, different shooting modes and shutter speeds, but I can't seem to shake this. I can't seem to edit this out in Photosop either, which I would assume would be able to be done in levels.

So I took a sample photo to show you guys. But when I upload the original file (all jpegs, no raw), the cast is gone in the uploaded version that I see!

I compared the linked photo with the file being viewed using Windows Picture and Fax viewer" and Photoshop, and of the three, the uploaded linked version is the only one that does not have this reddish cast.

Here is the link to the photo. the cast I see in Photoshop is a clear, fairly harsh, red cast. I have no idea what you folks will see.

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/_MG_3851.jpg

Does anyone have any idea what this is about?

Is it just the way that uploaded photos look? Maybe it's the color settings in my Photoshop? If it's my PS, then why does it also look red in the Windows Picture Viewer?

NIKV69
2007-08-13, 06:12 PM
I can't seem to edit this out in Photosop either

If you get a lighting like that. It looks late afternoon maybe? You will get a red or yellow cast. Also shooting through windows will cause this. If you don't fine tune the WB before the shot you will get it in the capture. You shooting in jpeg? WB is in stone after you press the shutter in jpeg. Shooting in RAW gives you the ability to fix it in post processing.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-13, 07:43 PM
This shot was later in the day, but I was getting similar results when the sun was much higher.

The thing that was weirder to me was that the red cast seemed to have disappeared once I hosted the photo on webspace and viewed it in my browser. That's something that I don't think white balance can explain.

T-Bird76
2007-08-13, 08:11 PM
Phil did you look at the custom setting and see how they were set? Double check to make sure the Hue setting isn't above Canon's factory preset. If you're not sure about the correct settings reset all the camera's settings back to the default, there should be an option in the menu to do that. Honestly this looks normal for that kind of light, might be helpful if you post a shot you took during normal daylight conditions. Also I just threw the pic in PS and you're RGB historgram isn't all that off.

I played with the photo myself and this is what I got from the orginal. http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/_MG_3851.jpg Again I don't think this shot is that red for the time of day. However it seems really soft for being that close and the kind of close up lens I know you have. One thing I'll say is you're F stop was really really low 4.5...at ISO 100. I would have bumped the ISO to 200 and used F8. I see though you were in TV mode, if you wanted to use TV mode you need drop the shutter down to increase the F stop if you still wanted to use ISO 100. What was you're other F stop settings for you're day time shots?

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-13, 09:19 PM
Good points about the f stop, but as I siad earlier, I was getting similar results with other shooting modes and settings.

How do I know what my photoshop color settings are supposed to be?

Also keep in mind that what you are seeing in that link is NOT what I am seeing of the photo in PS.

Did you reupload that photo? If so, you overwrote mine.

T-Bird76
2007-08-13, 09:27 PM
Good points about the f stop, but as I siad earlier, I was getting similar results with other shooting modes and settings.

How do I know what my photoshop color settings are supposed to be?

Also keep in mind that what you are seeing in that link is NOT what I am seeing of the photo in PS.

Did you reupload that photo? If so, you overwrote mine.

Opps sorry Bro, yeah I did, forgot overwriting was allowed. Sorry man.

As for the color settings I'm not using the same version of PS as you so I'm not sure, you might want to reinstall PS which will require you to set you're color settings the first time you load it.

NIKV69
2007-08-13, 09:46 PM
This is why I like RAW. Firstly turn off all that crap in your camera, no optimizing, hue, sharpness, noise reduction or anything. Also in ACW you can see what the pic looked like at capture by turning off the defaults so you are getting the true raw data as shot. Then you can sit there and adjust everything from exposure to white balance, shadows, contrast you name it. For good captures you won't need any of that but for shots like this it comes in handy. Could you post the original file Phil?

SengaB
2007-08-15, 05:22 AM
I have had a simiar problem in PS. For me it was a bluish cast. Whever I edited or viewed an image of PS it has that blueish cast but when I viewed it anywhere else or on another system or on the net it was gone and the image looked normal. This has happened to someone else I know as well. I contacted Abobe about it and had a lot of testing with it but NOTHING helped. One day it disappeared and never happened again. The images were fine but the program wasn't.
Senga

Tom_Turner
2007-08-15, 11:47 AM
Phil, Senga - maybe nothing to do with what you are experiencing, but interesting reading here. Almost the reverse experience -

http://airliners.net/discussions/aviati ... y#ID279503 (http://airliners.net/discussions/aviation_photography/read.main/279503/?searchid=279503&s=Yevgeny#ID279503)

Tom

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-15, 01:44 PM
Tom, you fixed it! I found this in that thread:

You want sRGB not Adobe RGB.

Your camera should be set to sRGB, and in Photoshop you want Edit> Color Settings> then set your RGB working space to sRGB IEC61966-2.1

and under Color Management Policies set RGB to Off

It looks like the red cast is gone. In fact, it seems as though my Windows Photo and Fax Viewer also changed, as though it follows whatever color settings my Photoshop is set to.

Thanks again.

SengaB
2007-08-15, 04:47 PM
Tom,
Yes it seem to be the same issue eventhough its reversed like you said. For me even when I change and fixed the SRBG its didnt fix ti for me. Oh well I just hope it never happens ago. Tom you might remember when it happened. Itstarted right afet I edied the African International DC-8 we shot at SWF a few years back.
What I'd like to know is how it screwes up if you don't change the settings.
Senga