PDA

View Full Version : What JFK Terminal Is This Pic Taken ?

N790SW
2007-08-12, 06:34 PM
Hey Guys:

I know this picture maybe before your time for many of you, but can anyone tell me what Terminal it was taken from- because it seems like there CO ground equipment around the plane along with PA cars so maybe World Port? Heres the Pic: Also note the Captain is a tad off the centerline lol. I think this was the early days of OA Service to JFK?

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1246041/L/

stuart schechter
2007-08-12, 07:38 PM
Terminal 4 maybe? One good thing i would suggest is not hotlinking and just post a link to the photo.

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-12, 07:39 PM
It looks like what is currently the hardstand area by T4 to me as well.

N790SW
2007-08-12, 07:45 PM
Thank you Stuart for the advice!! - Was T4 the world port terminal?

Art at ISP
2007-08-12, 07:49 PM
The World Port eventually became Terminal 3. I believe this was a normal parking spot on the north/east side of what now is Terminal 4. If you notice, there are a bunch of TWA planes on the distant left, indicating that perhaps this aircraft was parked at the old IAB but close to the Saarinen TWA terminal (now Terminal 5). For those familiar with current ops this may be in the general area where CO now departs--gates 2 or 3.

If I recall correctly, when originally built in the 1950's the IAB did not have more than a couple of jetways, so this would have been a normal parking situation there.

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-08-12, 08:46 PM
I say T4 judging that there are TWA a/c right next to the plane and the way the terminals are laid out at JFK, the picture was taken very close to the right side of T5 (TWA) which is where T4 is.

N790SW
2007-08-12, 10:57 PM
I wonder why the pilot was off the center line lol =P I guess someone was used to flying the DC-6s lol

Tom_Turner
2007-08-13, 12:18 AM
I think this is the center section - roughly - of the old IAB. (T4 now).

The TWA aircraft are possibly not at the landmarked TWA Building but rather at IAB as well, as both TWA and Pan Am would go there first for customs. This would explain KLM being to their right. [although a very similar scene/view of KLM & TWA would be seen daily over by the TWA building as KLM parked just adjacent there as well].

I believe Olympic operated from the other side of IAB at this time, and it would place the Eastern ground equipment there as well (for their caribbean flights) in the right spot as we see here.

Tom

Idlewild
2007-08-13, 08:43 AM
I'm looking at the oil/gas tanks in the background as well as the instrument/ILS house in the distance on the right side. I'm gonna say the north side of IAB if not the TWA Butterfly. The tanks being in Inwood and the ILS boxed by the 22's and 31's.

N790SW
2007-08-13, 12:10 PM
Back then, did they do the normal bank when they left 31L?

PhilDernerJr
2007-08-13, 12:15 PM
The pilot being a foot off the centerline doesn't mean anything.

Speedbird1
2007-08-24, 08:37 AM
I have been a regular visitor to JFK since the late 70's and never saw a Southwest aircraft anywhere at JFK. Also, Continental was never a regular visitor to JFK until recently. I feel that the photo might have been taken at Islip, Newark or LaGuardia. There is a chance it did visit JFK, as I have seen strange charters there. I once saw an "Hawaiian Air" DC10 at the IAB about 10 years ago as well as an MEA B747 and a Hapag-Lloyd Airbus. I think the MEA was being operated by Egypt Air.

RDU-JFK
2007-08-24, 09:05 AM
If not the old IAB it might be the old "Temporary Terminal" where T6 currently is now?

Idlewild
2007-08-24, 11:00 AM
Back then, did they do the normal bank when they left 31L?
If you're talking about the late '70's and since, yes, they all banked left. Although I have seen some aircraft over the years just go straight over Brooklyn and lower Manhattan after TO, and only at night. In fact I was in a JetBlue that did that a few years ago on its way to Seattle around 12 a.m.

Tom_Turner
2007-08-24, 09:16 PM
Its definitely JFK airport (Idlewild at the time); not EWR, LGA or Islip; Its not debatable really.

Is that really Continental Ground equipment? I don't believe it is. More likely some service company with similar logo...

The shot is not over by T6 or the background would be different; its either on the North end of IAB next to the TWA butterfly as Idlewild suggests or possibly near the center section of IAB as I suggested.

AS for 31L departures, folks have remembered watching the Loftleider (Icelandic) CL-44s make the turn, so I suppose its been at least the very early 70s as Idlewild indicated.

Hope this helps,
Tom

Idlewild
2007-08-25, 04:48 AM
It could be Ogden aviation equipment. Either that or an extinct airline such as Mohawk.