PDA

View Full Version : Fox 5 Chopper Makes Emergency Landing on Baseball Field

Matt Molnar
2007-08-09, 04:06 PM
SkyFoxHD Makes Emergency Landing in Brooklyn Ball Field (http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=4010996&version=4&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1)
Engine Cover Comes Loose

MYFOXNY.COM -- While on patrol over New York, the crew of SkyFoxHD experienced some nervous moments Wednesday evening when an engine cover came loose and began flapping around, striking the blades. They found an almost-empty ball field in Brooklyn and landed. No one was hurt. Watch the video of the landing. Click for video. (http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=4010996&version=4&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1)

Gerard
2007-08-10, 12:07 PM
WOW!! Hear the voices of the crew when they see this from inside the ship? That tail camera sure came in handy!!

emshighway
2007-08-10, 01:35 PM
WOW!! Hear the voices of the crew when they see this from inside the ship? That tail camera sure came in handy!!

"I thought you closed the hatch!!!" :roll:

Matt Molnar
2007-08-10, 05:49 PM
Funny how the guys painting the third base line seemingly went about their business without noticing a helicopter landing in centerfield.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-08-10, 09:13 PM
Funny how the guys painting the third base line seemingly went about their business without noticing a helicopter landing in centerfield.

Haha, I noticed that too... But, come to think of it, I used to work a few hundred feet from where the helo landed (I worked for Cityparks during the summer as a coach) and the NYPD would always come around over there, and fly real close to those abandoned buildings, and IIRC sometimes land on them and on the fields... Maybe these guys were just used to it and didn't really think twice about it...

Gerard
2007-08-10, 09:52 PM
Haha, I noticed that too... But, come to think of it, I used to work a few hundred feet from where the helo landed (I worked for Cityparks during the summer as a coach) and the NYPD would always come around over there, and fly real close to those abandoned buildings, and IIRC sometimes land on them and on the fields... Maybe these guys were just used to it and didn't really think twice about it...

Except PD is allowed. I wonder what the aftermath of this landing was. Did they just secure the
cowling and depart or did they wait for PD to file a report. If they even notified PD. As they were
landing you can hear some cockpit transmissions and I believe it sounds like they are telling
someone they were making a precautionary landing. Good job on the pilot cooly finding an LZ and
putting down safely.

cancidas
2007-08-10, 10:55 PM
that looks like a very good field to touch down in. in an emergency, ATC can't deny the guy the right to land. especially with a helo over the city with so many people on the ground in potential danger. i would assume they landed, secured the cowling, took off again and called the FSDO to tell them what happenned. that's what i would have done.