PDA

View Full Version : Query About Scanners on Planes

NYARTCCFAN
2007-08-01, 04:18 PM
Ok I know there have been numerous discussions about scanners aboard flights and wheather or not it should be on or off in the cabin. I do not plan to listen to the radio on the flight going on Vacation to FLL but my question is which baggiage should I pack it in Carryon or Checked. Which would cause the lesser difficulty with the TSA ?

lijk604
2007-08-01, 04:24 PM
Checked.

kc2aqg
2007-08-01, 05:02 PM
Carry-on. I've never been questioned by the TSA for carrying a scanner. Now, mine is actually a portable ham radio and I always have that excuse, so maybe it's different, but they look pretty similar. Now that I have an aviation-band radio (being a student pilot), I'll be carrying that radio probably from now on instead of the ham radio. But I'll still be taking it with me in my carry-on, using it in the terminals, and possibly onboard while on the ground given the circumstance.

In terms of switching it on in the cabin, I've used it with headphones before on the ground during JFK delays and nobody has said anything. While in the air, I didn't want to take the risk, nor would I even know what freq to tune into. So I would say don't even bring it out when you get in the air and only bring it out in the cabin if you are on the ground either shut down or not actively taxiing around.

stuart schechter
2007-08-01, 05:22 PM
I always have it on me in carry-on. Since I control for a virtual network, I know most of the frequencies in New York. I just try to listen to the instructions from the pilots out of NY.

emshighway
2007-08-01, 05:58 PM
You can do either but I would suggest carry on.