PDA

View Full Version : F-22 and combat?

nikon50bigma
2007-07-19, 11:45 PM
Why do you think the F-22 isn't currently being used in Iraq and the rest of the middle east?

moose135
2007-07-19, 11:53 PM
What makes you think it isn't :wink:

Actually, it's not needed. The F-22 is an air superiority fighter (actually I think they are referring to it as an "air supremacy fighter"). Its role is to gain and maintain air superiority over the battlefield. There are no opposition air forces to deal with in Iraq or Afghanistan, thus no need for the F-22 in theater. Should things heat up with Iran or some other nation with a credible air force, it wouldn't take long to deploy a gaggle of Raptors if the need arose.

And btw, from what I've read and heard from Red Flag and other exercises, the F-22 is scary-good at air-to-air combat.

nikon50bigma
2007-07-20, 12:28 AM
Have the Euro Typhoon and Raptor ever gone head to head in Red Flag?

USAF Pilot 07
2007-07-20, 11:49 AM
And btw, from what I've read and heard from Red Flag and other exercises, the F-22 is scary-good at air-to-air combat.

I was talking to some 15 drivers a while back, along with I want to say a one or two star 15 pilot who was one of the first trained up in the 22, but doesn't fly it, and the 15 guys were saying that they were "shot down" out of nowhere, before they could even see the 22 on their radars... The 22 pilot said it was like shooting fish in a barrel, and that he'd been tracking the 15s from over 200 miles out, and I think was 150 out when he "engaged" them....

moose135
2007-07-20, 02:13 PM
Heard stories out of Red Flag that the Raptor had built up something like a 140-2 kill ratio - one kill came when the F-22 ran out of missles and was running for home, the second came when the pilot jumped something like 4 F-16s. He shot down the last one just as he was killed, but it wasn't a smart move to start with.

I was talking with the Raptor pilot at the McGuire open house, and it sounds like an amazing plane to fly. We were joined by a guy who once flew F-15s in the Israeli Air Force, and they started trading war stories. He asked the Raptor pilot if the F-15 can even see the F-22 on radar. The Raptor pilot smiled and said "Next question..."

You can't hit what you can't see.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-07-20, 03:45 PM
Yea it's an amazing plane, and the thrust vectoring system is awesome to watch for real...

But... I dunno how much of a need we will have for the 22. Yes, we need to always stay one-step ahead of our enemies, especially in the field of air superiority and air dominance, because it makes a statement (a very expensive on at that) which is why an aircraft like the 22 is necessary, but unless we go to war with China (which might not be too far fetched sometime down the road) the 22 might never see much combat. If we were to go to war with Iran (definitely not too far fetched) the 22 would undoubtedly see some action.

The JSF, (F-35) will probably be a much more resourceful aircraft in that it will be able to hit ground and air targets... I can't wait to see that aircraft come on-line.

flyboy 28
2007-07-20, 03:54 PM
Isn't the 22 capable of air to ground missions though? It has that sleek stow-away missile bay. 'Cause they can probably throw some Mavericks in there or something. Or not. I'm not up on air force stuff. I'm a navy guy. :)

moose135
2007-07-20, 04:09 PM
Isn't the 22 capable of air to ground missions though? It has that sleek stow-away missile bay. 'Cause they can probably throw some Mavericks in there or something. Or not. I'm not up on air force stuff. I'm a navy guy. :)

No, it's not made for moving mud, that will be the F-35's job. That stow-away missile bay helps keep it stealthy, no big honkin' missiles hanging off the wings.

nikon50bigma
2007-07-21, 09:22 AM
Yea it's an amazing plane, and the thrust vectoring system is awesome to watch for real...

But... I dunno how much of a need we will have for the 22. Yes, we need to always stay one-step ahead of our enemies, especially in the field of air superiority and air dominance, because it makes a statement (a very expensive on at that) which is why an aircraft like the 22 is necessary, but unless we go to war with China (which might not be too far fetched sometime down the road) the 22 might never see much combat. If we were to go to war with Iran (definitely not too far fetched) the 22 would undoubtedly see some action.

The JSF, (F-35) will probably be a much more resourceful aircraft in that it will be able to hit ground and air targets... I can't wait to see that aircraft come on-line.

I just have a feeling that the F-35 will be something like, "jack of all trades, but master of none."
Since they've been ordered by almost all the branches of the military.

moose135
2007-07-21, 08:52 PM
I just have a feeling that the F-35 will be something like, "jack of all trades, but master of none."
That will make it the perfect replacement for the F-18 :wink: