PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Response To Steam Explosion

Gerard
2007-07-18, 08:35 PM
So around 6:05 this evening a huge steam pipe exploded in Midtown Manhattan at East 41st and Lex/3rd Ave.
Just an unbelievable sight. I'm switching around channels but mainly kept on Channel 7. Didnt see any of the ENG
copters airborne so I have to figure they are down due to weather. Then on ABC at around 7PM anchorman Bill Ritter
said they have just seen the first NYPD helicopter on scene with FDNY officials aboard surveying the area. He started
complaining that it took about an hour and 5 minutes to get this helicopter airborne with FDNY aboard and he lamented
that maybe we didnt learn anything from 9/11 about a quick response with both agencies working together. I started
thinking well I dont see YOUR helicopter and maybe the weather had grounded PD/AU as well. Thankfully NYPD
spokesperson Paul Brown had also heard Ritter and he QUICKLY corrected Ritter telling him that THREE (3) NYPD
helicopters were airborne within 10 minutes of the incident with one (probably the command & control 412, N23FH)
relaying pictures to ground units AND FDNY was aboard.
Knucklehead media.
Fox 5 SkyFOX 5 was the first ENG on scene around 7:15 or so and Newscopter 7 didnt get on scene until about
7:55. I dont think NBC or CBS even went airborne. These ships fly out of NJ so maybe the weather was bad over
across the Hudson.
The one incredible picture was of the red tow truck IN the crater!! That was wild.
What a day with the crazy T-storms this morning now this.

Matt Molnar
2007-07-18, 08:39 PM
There were t-storms just west of the city at the time of the explosion, so if there were any delay in getting the birds up there, it would certainly be justified. That would explain why the news choppers coming from Jersey delayed their response.

emshighway
2007-07-18, 08:42 PM
Joel Bearmen was up for CBS.

PD Aviation was over 80 St/62 Ave in Middle Village on a perp search around 7-7:30 so they were working.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-07-18, 11:57 PM
I was on-scene at 1810, and I'd say maybe 15 minutes after that I saw an NYPD helo overhead... So there was definately one there by 1825, probably a little earlier, and I just didn't see it...

DHG750R
2007-07-21, 04:54 AM
I had LGA CBA on as well as NYPD citywide , N23FH was overhead not long after the initial new report along with 18 and 12

Gerard
2007-07-23, 06:18 PM
>I had LGA CBA on as well as NYPD citywide , N23FH was overhead not long after the initial new report along with 18 and 12<

Reminds me of the response after the Corey Lidle crash on the Upper east Side. I had just left
a doctors appointment on 86/5th when my wife called telling me of a plane/copter crash into a
building. Well no hurry to return downtown to work I walked over to the area. Two of the new
PD Koalas were circling the area, 23FH was over on the Hudson River and Aviation 12/14 was
hovering low level by the crash site. The ENGs were pushed over to Central Park. Pretty wild
scene reminding me of 9/11 the way people were reacting on the street since this was maybe
25 minutes after the crash.