PDA

View Full Version : AA back flying JFK - Stansted

maem01
2007-07-10, 10:20 PM
Read in Wall Street Journal that AA is starting in October a schedule from JFK to Stansted. Interesting to see if MaxJet makes good offers in light of some competition.

PhilDernerJr
2007-07-10, 10:31 PM
Are the two airlines even competition. They offer different services. MaxJet is really and only first class airline, while AA offers mostly economy of course.

Does AA have something up its sleeve? How many first class and business seats does AA currently offer? I'd assume this would be a 762 or 763 route.

hiss srq
2007-07-10, 10:42 PM
I doubt a 762 route. I do not forsee AA running 762 across the pond anymore.

T-Bird76
2007-07-10, 10:50 PM
http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7275
Posted already.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-07-10, 11:15 PM
Interesting... The airlines are starting to realize how much of a cash-cow the NY-LON route really is... How long do you think it'll be before AA, or any other airline for that matter, refits a 757 with all business class seats, and offers service between LON and NY with prices comparable to those of Maxjet? Only in AA's case, they have the advantage of a mileage program, and a worldwide route network, along with other partnerships both aviation and non-aviation related.

Even if AA, or any other large airline, were to break even/lose a marginal amount of money on this route (or other like it), connecting services (even with a small number of pax connecting through JFK to get to LON), and the mileage program (aka. getting people who fly a lot and fly business to go with AA for future travel) could put AA in the green in the overall scheme of things...

I'm no airline market analyst or anything, and I dunno if the demand is there, or if AA could take a hit trying to push Maxjet out of the market, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, and I have a feeling something like this could work, especially if certain deals/promotions are tied into it...

If nothing else, AA starting service to Stansted is due primarily due to the rail link between downtown London and the airport. Hopefully because of this, fares on this route will be low, and comparable to other airlines... Plus now you can connect from AA to Ryanair or Easyjet!