PDA

View Full Version : iTunes protected files=NOT FAIR

Mellyrose
2007-07-03, 10:33 PM
So, I just went to burn a CD for Phil's mom (I hardly ever burn CDs anymore, being that I don't drive anymore) and when the CD came out, it only had 5 of the 17 songs in the playlist burned to it.

Upon further investigation, I realized that the missing songs were all ones that I had purchased ("m4p" files) and they are protected from burning I guess. But seriously WTF? I bought the music, I should be able to do whatever I please with it (within legal limits). I would think that the PIRATED music I was burning would be the files that were unable to burn.

I think this is a load of horse****. Does anyone know a way to get around it? I Googled around and only found half answers and programs that didn't seem to want to run on my Mac.

BOOOO! :(

GrummanFan
2007-07-03, 10:52 PM
I get my music from a site called Ruckus because my school has some sort of deal with them which allows students to get music for free. However, each song has a license attached that expires in a month and must be renewed, and it prevents transfer to other media.

There's a program I use called FairUse4WM. It allows you to remove the Widows DRM licenses off of protected music files, with practically no loss in quality (I don't notice a difference). However, you must be using Windows Media Player 10 or 11 Beta for it to work, and, most likely, Windows.

I know of no such program for a Mac. If you have an old PC around, you can just turn it into a music license-ripping machine. Thats what one of my friends did.

nwafan20
2007-07-03, 11:17 PM
Apple product fails again Mel!!! :D

My friend uses this: http://www.hymn-project.org/

Mellyrose
2007-07-04, 07:45 AM
Blah blah. Do you use iTunes? That's right...I bet you do. ;)

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

hiss srq
2007-07-04, 07:49 AM
Mor ammo for my anti Steve Jobs products vendetta.

Mellyrose
2007-07-04, 07:58 AM
Apple product fails again Mel!!! :D

My friend uses this: http://www.hymn-project.org/

The download page isn't very comprehensive - or maybe it's only for Windows.

nwafan20
2007-07-04, 12:54 PM
Blah blah. Do you use iTunes? That's right...I bet you do. ;)

Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.

No, I don't use that crap software, I use real software, I am running 2 different DJ programs, UltraMixer and Club DJ Pro.

Mellyrose
2007-07-04, 08:39 PM
Haha - you told me! ;)

But seriously. I really need to figure this out. :cry:

USAF Pilot 07
2007-07-08, 07:44 PM
Just take a walk on the wildside and be a bad girl and use Limewire... ;)

Mellyrose
2007-07-08, 09:03 PM
I actually do! But lately I'd been buying a lot of music because it was more convenient and the music I was interested in was newer and more difficult to find a decent version of on LW!

BOOOO :(

Greeney
2007-07-08, 11:42 PM
Go Mac!!!! Thats all I have to say...

heeshung
2007-07-09, 10:49 AM
The easiest way that I know is to use the hymn-project software, although I'm not sure if it's Mac-compatible.

The way I do it that's sure to work, but long and tedious is to use my mp3 player which has a line-in port and connect the computer output to the line-in and I record with the player. Then I can transfer the files which are encoded from analog to mp3 inside the player to my computer.