PDA

View Full Version : Regarding memory cards, speeds and errors.

mirrodie
2007-06-26, 10:46 AM
I am hankering for a 2 Gb or perhaps even 4Gb card.

I have a few Sandisk Compact Flash II cards that I am relativley happy with.

Considering our (I mean, what we all like to shoot here, that is, fast moving aircraft ;) ) applications, Is hte newer "Sandish Extreme III" worth getting? What does the 'faster speed' pertain to? I know its not shutter speed but trying to out my finger on it.

mirrodie
2007-06-26, 10:48 AM
OR should I consider the Extreme III 4Gb card?? Only $69 seems reasonable!

Matt Molnar
2007-06-26, 11:12 AM
$69 for 4 gigs sounds like a deal. Sandisk has an Extreme IV line now, so the Extreme III's should drop.

pgengler
2007-06-26, 11:39 AM
I am hankering for a 2 Gb or perhaps even 4Gb card.

I have a few Sandisk Compact Flash II cards that I am relativley happy with.

Considering our (I mean, what we all like to shoot here, that is, fast moving aircraft ;) ) applications, Is hte newer "Sandish Extreme III" worth getting? What does the 'faster speed' pertain to? I know its not shutter speed but trying to out my finger on it.

The "faster speed" is based on how long it takes to write or read some amount of data to/from the card. The advantage to faster cards is that they write faster, so the camera's buffer clears faster, so you don't have to wait as much. This is basically only a factor in burst shooting, where you do fill up the camera's buffer.

Of course, the card isn't everything, and the camera also affects the speed; if the camera can't get data to the card as fast as the card is writing it, the camera is the bottleneck. I know that some of the older model Canons (DReb, 10D, etc.) are a lot slower than the newer ones, and it doesn't matter how fast the card is in that case.

I shoot with a half-dozen SanDisk Ultra IIs and I've never felt that the extra speed of an Extreme III or IV justified the premium pricing.

moose135
2007-06-26, 11:53 AM
Like Phil said, the speed of the card is a factor of how fast data is written to the card. With my old 300D, and a 4 shot buffer, it was a factor. With the 30D and a huge buffer (25+ shots, I think) I haven't been able to shoot fast enough for it to be a problem.

However, at $69 for a 4GB Sandisk Extreme 3 card, I just ordered one. That's about the lowest price I've seen.

mirrodie
2007-06-26, 12:34 PM
I might pick up the 4gb myself. I thought the price was real good, esp. with free shipping.

T-Bird76
2007-06-26, 12:58 PM
Save your money and go with the 2 gig, there is no reason you need a 4 gig as I can't guess where you'd even come close to ever filling it up.. Or go with two 2 gig cards, its always good to have an extra card incase your primary card dies, which I've seen happen.

mirrodie
2007-06-26, 01:10 PM
, there is no reason you need a 4 gig as I can't guess where you'd even come close to ever filling it up.

I guess you've never shot with Fred Miller ;)

mirrodie
2007-06-26, 01:19 PM
Addendum..

Tom,

the 2 Gb Extreme III card is $40.98

the 4 Gb Extreme III card is $68.95 +includes with Rescue Pro Data Recovery Software.

What do you think...? Anyone?

HOly cow, new info.

2 Gb Extreme IV is $58.30

4Gb Extreme IV is $84.95

So now I guess I need further advice:

Looking at either the:

4Gb III for 68.95(with resuce software) or

2 Gb IV for 58.30..... I'm leaning towards this one but would I be happier with the 4 Gb III??? --help! :shock: Do I go with a faster card or one that carries more images for $10 more?

moose135
2007-06-26, 01:27 PM
Save your money and go with the 2 gig, there is no reason you need a 4 gig as I can't guess where you'd even come close to ever filling it up.. Or go with two 2 gig cards, its always good to have an extra card incase your primary card dies, which I've seen happen.

I've got a 2GB, a 1GB and a 512MB. At the McGuire air show, I filled both the 1 & 2 GB cards by the end of the day. Fred has an 8GB card (and I almost got one, but the rebate deal ended before I ordered, would have been under $90) and I don't shoot like he does, but there are times when I get close on the cards I have (Pocono races are another example - especially if I don't get to download pictures at night). For the price, I couldn't pass it up.

cancidas
2007-06-26, 11:58 PM
mario, i've got 2 1-GB cards and it works. they will record as fast as i can fill up the buffer on the camera. aside from that, why would you want to limit yourself to just one card? say you dropped your 4 gb card into a sewer.