PDA

View Full Version : SLR Anyone?

Laxgoaly
2007-06-20, 12:17 AM
I am looking to buy a "beginner" DSLR... I used to have a Nikon D50 and i REGRET selling it... anyone selling any DSLR's or have any suggestions for a beginner?

nwafan20
2007-06-20, 12:18 AM
Get the Canon Digital Rebel XTi, best consumer SLR.

cancidas
2007-06-20, 01:17 AM
if you sold the nikon body, do you still have the lenses? IMO, get the D50 back!!

pgengler
2007-06-20, 09:11 AM
If you still have Nikon lenses, or flashes, or other accessories that would only work on a Nikon, pick up another Nikon body. If not, my usual recommendation is to go to a camera store where you can try out (for example) the D50 and the XTi. Hold each one like you would when you shoot, to see how each one feels. You might find one body fits your hands well while another is too small or too large. Also, try changing common settings on each camera (shutter speed, aperture, ISO, etc.); does one body or another make this easier or more intuitive? You don't want to end up with a camera that frustrates you.

Typically less important are the accessories (lenses, flashes, etc.) for each system; is there something you need that's only available for one system (I'm not sure what sort of thing this might be, though) then you should weigh that, too.

Also, if you try the XTi but don't like how it feels, also try out a 30D. It's the next higher model of camera from Canon, so it's more expensive, but it's larger, less plastic-y, and more sturdy-feeling.