PDA

View Full Version : Serious JFK Ground Delays

PhilDernerJr
2007-06-12, 08:52 PM
All this week I've seen some long delays at JFK, but last night takes the cake. Due to storm cells in the area, I heard that there were 120 aircraft in line to depart....no exagerration.

Many aircraft were taxiing out, sitting for hours and returning to the gate because their crews were timing out.

Really wild stuff. I can only imagine what was going on up in the tower. I've never seen the taxiways that packed in my life.

stuart schechter
2007-06-12, 09:15 PM
They also shut down the WAVEY intersection exit point of the NY airspace. That was causing problems.

AirtrafficController
2007-06-12, 09:30 PM
well looks like its going to be a hectic job for me unless i get tower controller :lol:
im thinking the ground controller must of gone wild :lol:

AA 777
2007-06-12, 10:52 PM
I was listening to JFK ground/clc last night and it was quite the show to say the least. The delays from pushback to takeoff were 225 mins at around 1230am.

Tonight was not much better. Its going to be an ugly summer. And with B6 and DL adding flights at peak times its going to be rough...

Laxgoaly
2007-06-12, 11:36 PM
tonight at TEB there were seriouss ground delays, it was getting insane with 25+ biz jets in queue for departure

NYCMedic
2007-06-13, 12:01 AM
The ground delays were up to 210 mins at one point. One of my flights had a taxi time of just under 2 hrs and another held at the gate for 1 hr and had a taxi time of 30 mins....Oh Yeah the first flight had a wildlife strike on RWY 4L. Apparently at this time every year large turtles lay eggs on the sand near the RWY and my 752 happened to take out a few stragglers.

hiss srq
2007-06-13, 12:04 AM
Same thing at LGA we are pushing 3.5 hours at times from call to taxi to off.

mirrodie
2007-06-13, 09:45 AM
Would have loved to see the taxiways. GOt any pics?

Yep, this summer will be fun.

lijk604
2007-06-13, 09:57 PM
This "summer" is has not even started yet, and it is hell. I'm looking forward to at least 2 "quiet" days of no rain/thunder in the Northeast. Hopefully, Mother Nature will listen.

njgtr82
2007-06-13, 11:35 PM
This "summer" is has not even started yet, and it is hell. I'm looking forward to at least 2 "quiet" days of no rain/thunder in the Northeast. Hopefully, Mother Nature will listen.

Haha, you mean no rain or thunderstorms east of the Mississippi? I agree with you 100%.

ISP Pilot
2007-06-14, 01:49 AM
Sorry I don't have any pics. I flew into JFK on Monday on B6 1308 from IAD. Sched dep was 5:25pm actual dep time 9:25. I was originally on B6 1310 sched dep 8pm but delayed to 10:30pm so I was able to standby for the "earlier" flight. Comair's JFK flight was cancelled. Many folks had int'l connections and were freaking out. Landed at about 10:30 on 4R and sat on 31R for about 30 minutes waiting to cross 4L because they wanted to get the departures out. Finally crossed then had to wait on the ramp for another 20 minutes because we couldn't taxi in - the ramp was closed due to lightning. After the ground crew guided us in, it was another 10 minute delay for the missing gate agent to hook up the jetbridge. I did get a $25 credit for all of this waiting from B6 though despite the delay being caused by weather and ATC delays.

cancidas
2007-06-14, 02:48 AM
Many aircraft were taxiing out, sitting for hours and returning to the gate because their crews were timing out.

believe me bro, i feel your pain! fridays are my mondays and i end up getting stuck at work into the wee morning hours. even the curfew which used to be our saving grace runs away and hides. i do think it's very humbling that while so many adavances have been made in aviation, nobody wants to go up against mother nature...

kc2aqg
2007-06-14, 02:56 PM
JFK has been awful lately. Going out to Paris on DL on 6/1, we sat at the gate for 1.5 hours because of congestion in the alleyway and taxiways (Ground wouldn't let planes out of the alleyway), then 3 hours taxiing around the airport including a half hour shut down on rwy 31L. The actives were the 22's, so we had a hella long taxi out there, and a 5:40 PM departure became an 11 PM takeoff.

Arriving back from Paris, I was scheduled to connect onto a DL Conx flight to CVG departing at 7:40. Well, every 15 minutes they would update the board with a departure time of 15 minutes later, which they did to all of the DL Conx flights departing after 7 PM. Finally at 10:30, they canceled my flight and one or two others. Took another hour for me to retrieve my checked bag (btw, avoid DL Conx at JFK at ALL COSTS).

I have a 4:30 flight out to Atlanta making a connection to BHM this sunday, and I'm hoping I won't miss the connection. Judging by the last two weeks at JFK, I'm not too hopeful...