PDA

View Full Version : Congressman calls for ban on helicopters over Manhatten

cancidas
2007-06-10, 10:21 AM
Congressman calls for ban on helicopters over Manhatten
By Kate Sarsfield

A New York Congressman is planning to reintroduce legislation next week designed to close key loopholes in the helicopter homeland security safety net by requiring helicopters to fly over water only while in Manhattan airspace.

Republican Antony Weiner, who tried and failed to introduce the bill in 2004, says: "Treating small aircraft just as seriously as we do jumbo jets is a welcome change, but it's only half the job." He adds: "We are taking a common-sense step to make New York safer. Right now it is completely legal for helicopters to hover over buildings in Manhattan - that's what we are trying to ban."

He says: "History, known intelligence reports and common sense show the need for tighter regulations to secure the skies around Manhattan. It's not just a matter of safety for pilots and passengers, but also of security for citizens on the ground."

The legislation would require the Secretary of Homeland Security to designate High Threat Helicopter Flight Areas which would be protected by the following restrictions:

All helicopter flights to remain over water except for on final approach and takeoff from heliport.

All passengers and baggage on helicopters to be screened by the Transportation Security Administration.

Helicopters to remain in contact with the Federal Aviation Administration regarding their flightpath, regardless of altitude.

"Current FAA regulations allow helicopter operators to fly anywhere in the city - under certain altitudes," Weiner says. "I believe that this situation presents an unacceptable risk that must be alleviated." Weiner has also called on FAA administrator Marion Blakey to "issue an emergency FAA directive to prohibit all non-essential helicopters from operating in airspace over New York City".

Police, medical, and other authorised helicopter traffic would exempt from the legislation. US trade body the Helicopter Association International was unavailable for comment.

they never stop. i'm tired of hearing about congressmen bitching about aviation in the city! how many private helos do we really have cutting through airspace over the city? the cory lidle incident brought out incresed moaning from schumer about small airplanes flying the VFR corridor in the city. i think it's time to research how many accidents have occured in and around the city due to GA aircraft.

Tom_Turner
2007-06-10, 11:01 AM
The aptly named WeinerBoy surfaces again...

<< "I believe that this situation...>>

In his expert opinion... This is like former New Jersey Governor McGreevey putting his boy friend in charge of NJs security....

What poor judgement.

Why not ban trucks from city limits as well...and have Homeland Security screen every single person getting onto a subway or bus.

You'll never be mayor WeinerBoy.

Gerard
2007-06-10, 11:08 AM
Weiner is nothing more than a grandstanding clueless politician. If he had ANY CLUE about Manhattan helo operations he would know that ALL helicopters flying around Manhattan have to be in contact with LGA ATC and they all utilize 123.075 or 123.050 to give their positions when on the Hudson or East River corridors and to contact one of three Manhattan heliports. Tour operators VOLUNTARILY changed their routes so they DO NOT fly over Manhattan any more. Corporate/private/charter operators only fly over Manhattan when transitioning East/West (and reverse) by using the Midtown Route which is actually over the East Side, Central Park, West Side above the 80s. The only helicopters "HOVERING" over Manhattan are the ENG (TV) copters, PD ships or film copters (N355AG out of FRG is a regular) and they also are there only with the permission of LGA ATC who they constantly keep in contact with. Also all the TV copters utilize 123.025 to keep talk amongst themselves regarding altitude and positioning. With at least 6 or more newscopters working a big story that is essential. BTW, if you can ever monitor that freq. during a news story it can be pretty interesting and some of the pilots have a dark sense of humor.
This is Weiners second attempt at this lame bill. The last time he held a news conference at the West 30 St Heliport and when he attempted to get into the facility the manager tossed him out on his butt.
Hopefully voters will toss him out on his butt when it is time to be re-elected.

adam613
2007-06-10, 02:08 PM
Why not ban trucks from city limits as well...

I'm surprised nobody suggested that after the moron who lost the roof of his truck in the Lincoln Tunnel a couple of weeks ago...

hiss srq
2007-06-10, 02:39 PM
No kidding. Politicians need to stay out of aviation. There is no place for them in it. Afterall what is next. All airports must be built on islands so blue ice cannot fall on people.

Matt Molnar
2007-06-10, 02:53 PM
You'll never be mayor WeinerBoy.

Hopefully voters will toss him out on his butt when it is time to be re-elected.
If the general voting public actually spent even a couple of seconds considering the logic of harebrained ideas like this, Chuck Schumer would be chasing ambulances for a living rather than being the senior senator of the State of New York. In other words Weiner will be fine, and as of now I would say he's the front runner for the '09 mayoral race.

Tom_Turner
2007-06-10, 03:37 PM
Chuck Schumer has taken a United States Senate seat and turned it into a glorified "Public Advocate" position; We'd be better off with Mark Green poking around bodagas to inspect the price tags on cans of tuna fish and setting up roadblocks in Central Park to issue tickets to bicycle riders without helmets.

Mayor Weiner Boy - thats a scary thought.

So, he's going to start out by inconviencing corporate executives and dealing a blow to the tourism industry? He's real bright.

Hopefully he runs afoul of Comrad Baron's chief of staff....

TT

cancidas
2007-06-10, 03:41 PM
the fact that schumer is the senior senator is disturbing enough, the moron only got elected a few years ago.

PhilDernerJr
2007-06-10, 08:30 PM
UGh, and I shook this man's hand 2 weeks ago. If I had known, I'd have talked some sense into him as he walked all by himself down College Point Blvd.