PDA

View Full Version : Depature vs Arrival Photos

shamrock838
2007-06-03, 05:47 PM
Greetings,

From my comparatively limited experience … I’ve found that photographing arriving flights is far more dramatic than capturing departing flights … given the same observer distance from the end of an active runway.

Near LGA …

Since arriving aircraft touch down not far “in” from the end of the runway … I don’t think anything comes close … in sheer drama and impact … to the l-o-w l-e-v-e-l arrivals to runway 4 as seen from Plane View and Landing Lights Parks. Yet … runway 22 as seen from MacNeil Park in College Point … is another story entirely due to its greater distance. Runway 31 from World’s Fair Marina seems somewhere in the middle.

Since departing aircraft … especially the prop DASH 8’s … leave the runway far before its end … these same locations offer less dramatic views IMHO since the aircraft are already higher in the air and climbing for altitude when passing over the aforementioned spotting sites.

Near JFK …

I’ve had far less experience “down south” … from being a non-driver … and have only visited spotting sites “A” and “E” for runway 31L departures. [A creative mix of research ... local public transportation ... and ardent footwork ... allows me to do this.] I’m waiting for favorable SE winds to open up runways 13L … and especially 13R … for arrivals over the Howard Beach … Cross Bay Boulevard area. Maybe this coming week when I’m on vacation again.

Of course … accessing ATIS in advance is a must here as it easily takes me an hour to get down there from Flushing via the #7 subway and Q53 express bus from Woodside. As for the other spotting sites to the north and east of JFK … maybe the situation will improve for me as I further investigate available public transportation … walking distances … and the neighborhoods themselves … for the feasibility of solo visits. Some member input would help fill some needed information holes here. Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

AirtrafficController
2007-06-03, 05:51 PM
arrivals are more exciting as they are the most fun part of flying

Matt Molnar
2007-06-03, 06:59 PM
Location B on the LGA spotting map is good for watching Runway 13 departures, good for photographing only if you have a long lens. The Q48 from Flushing and another bus which I can't remember (goes to Forest Hills) both stop there.

shamrock838
2007-06-04, 09:17 PM
Location B on the LGA spotting map is good for watching Runway 13 departures, good for photographing only if you have a long lens. The Q48 from Flushing and another bus which I can't remember (goes to Forest Hills) both stop there.

GothamSpotter ...

Yes, the Q48 does stop opposite the pedestrian bridge over the GCP at Ditmars Boulevard and 27th Avenue. The other bus is the Q23 which indeed goes to Forest Hills.

On the other side of the ped bridge ... to the left ... there's a "desire path" that leads up an embarkment to an airport perimeter road with pedestrian walkway alongside. This in turn leads past the Delta/Northwest and US Air terminals. I think it's used mostly by airport workers who live locally.

Mike (shamrock838)