PDA

View Full Version : Landing Lights Park off LGA Approach Runway 4

shamrock838
2007-06-03, 05:22 PM
Greetings ...

Though probably lesser known than its “nearer neighbor” … Plane View Park (PVP) … to the end of LGA runway 4 … Landing Lights Parks (LLP) has an identity of its own as I’ve learned from experience.

Though LLP is located just a couple of blocks “outward” from PVP … arriving aircraft still swoosh overhead into LGA at dramatically low visual ... and high aural ...levels. These can be overwhelming ... even alarming ... to the uninitiated.

LLP also has a prominently sited and fenced in FAA landing lights facility … hence the park name. This alone deters me from photographing arriving flights here even though it’s a public park. I remember being stopped … questioned … and requested by NYPD to “move on” when photographing arrivals and departures from a small hill … really a knoll … just NORTH of the Grand Central Parkway ... i.e. within the precincts of LGA. The NYPD indicated an FAA landing aid facility at the corner of said hill. Remembering this … I avoid photographing at LLP as well.

But there’s another … aural … feature of LLP that I’ve noticed. It’s not the actual breathtaking passage of these beautiful, fast-moving airliners just seconds from touchdown. It’s the weird whistling, rippling, almost ethereal sound of rushing, twisting air that follows just seconds later. Call it “jet-wash” … “wake turbulence” … whatever. I’ve never heard this phenomenon at PVP.

Every time I hear it I’m reminded of the ill-fated American Airlines Flight 587 … a fully-loaded Airbus A300 … that left JFK on the morning of November 12, 2001 only to crash seeming seconds later into the community of Belle Harbor in the Rockaways with the loss of all 260 passengers and crew aboard plus five unsuspecting unfortunates on the ground.

Some reports blamed wake turbulence from the JAL 747 that immediately preceded AA587 down runway JFK 31L. Another report blamed her first officer for violently over-correcting for the aforementioned wake turbulence that resulted in 587’s tail section being completely wrenched off.

Whatever the ultimate cause … I always think of this tragedy … the second worse in U.S. aviation history … whenever I hear or read about wake turbulence. A poignant footnote to the tragedy is that American Airlines has never again designated one of their flights as “587.” The number had been permanently retired.

[For the non-drivers amongst you …

Both PVP and LLP are easily reachable by local transportation. The Q33 city bus shuttles between the 74th Street & Roosevelt Avenue and LGA’s main passenger terminal … passing within a block of both parks in succession. Get off the LGA-bound Q33 at Astoria Boulevard and 83rd Street and LLP is diagonally across the street to the left. Get off the Q33 a few minutes later at 23rd Avenue and 87th Streets and PVP is also diagonally across the street ... again to the left.

BTW … the Q47 city bus also shuttles between the 74th Street & Roosevelt Avenue and Marine Air Terminals. Get off at 82nd Street and Astoria Boulevard for LLP. Or … get off the next stop ... at 82nd and 23rd Avenue ... and walk one long block downhill to PVP. Or just walk directly from LLP to PVP in a few minutes. Just be sure in advance that the winds are from the NE and confirm via ATIS that LGA runway 4 is indeed taking incoming flights.

Mike (shamrock838)

Matt Molnar
2007-06-03, 06:47 PM
The sound at Landing Lights Park is really cool, and you get to see the aircraft at a unique angle.

Don't hesitate to photograph there, it is a public park owned by the NYC Parks Department. Only the lights themselves are FAA property.

Also, the M60 and Q19A buses stop there as well.

shamrock838
2007-06-03, 07:05 PM
The sound at Landing Lights Park is really cool, and you get to see the aircraft at a unique angle.

Don't hesitate to photograph there, it is a public park owned by the NYC Parks Department. Only the lights themselves are FAA property.

Also, the M60 and Q19A buses stop there as well.

Hey ... Gotham Spotter ...

Thanks for replying. I realize the public park factor at "Landing Lights Park" and will probably give it another photographic try as I have no interest whatever in FAA facilities. My interest is solely the photography of our common group hobby interest ... commercial airliners as "up close and personal" as possible.

And thanks for the M60 and Q19A references as well!

Mike (shamrock838)

lijk604
2007-06-03, 07:27 PM
Mike,

That is "jet-wash" or more technically, wake turbulance that you hear. It is very prominent from 757's, and can also be heard from 737's & ERJ's, albeit just not as loud. I do not recall ever hearing it when a CRJ or A320/A319 goes overhead. The wild thing is how delayed the sound is from the 757's. They fly over, the jet roar does down, they are just about to touch down, and then WOOOSH! comes the wake. You wont hear it too much anymore, but the DC10's were probably the biggest offenders! Caused by the huge solid flaps on those babies.

John

moose135
2007-06-03, 09:01 PM
That's why I love it when a 757 flies over when I'm at the cargo plaza at JFK - you really hear and feel it there!