PDA

View Full Version : 757 bird strike

Midnight Mike
2007-05-31, 10:54 AM
Amazing what a little birdie can do to that million dollar engine.

Esvqi5J_BxA

AirtrafficController
2007-05-31, 02:48 PM
wow thats amazing, fried chicken anyone? :lol:

adam613
2007-05-31, 02:58 PM
I'm surprised it took him so long to shut the engine off. Great video!

Midnight Mike
2007-05-31, 03:37 PM
I'm surprised it took him so long to shut the engine off. Great video!

That was normal, shut the engines off at about 400 feet..... Look at where the bird strike took place, right as the tires were off the runway, at that point, they need the engines for lift....

Moose can correct me if I am wrong. :?:

PhilDernerJr
2007-05-31, 04:19 PM
I also think that there is a checklist that they msut run through before shutting them down in that stiuation, which there was going simultaneously with the busy time of takeoff.

lear45
2007-05-31, 06:05 PM
When you loose an engine at that point, after V1, you are not going to abort. You have to fly the airplane first, accelerate to VR, rotate and climb out, usually to 1500' AGL(in our airplane) and THEN worry about shutting the engine down, fighting a fire, etc. There are engine shutdown checklists to run and you have to decide whether you are going to attempt a restart(if it has shutdown) or not(NOT in this case). They did a great job. You have to fly the airplane, no matter what is going on. It did not take that long to shut the engine down. It is not something you just do right away. You have to evaluate what happened and what the status of the engine is.

hiss srq
2007-05-31, 11:26 PM
Yep, as with what Lear said, fly the plane first do all else later. Your primary objective is to get altitude between you and the ground first, than evaluate, act and take it from there. In the LR23/35 above 200 knots the airplane handles pretty well on one engine but the objective is to fly above all. Than like said aboive you evaluate whether to relight or to continue on as is. If you are above your MLW you decided how critical getting down is verses loosing weight (burning or dumping fuel) and take it from there. I have had an engine out during climb out once out around 28 grand climbing through heavy weather. We made a swift descending left turn got below 26 and relit her. Not a bird strike but certainly an engine out issue in the climb.

nwafan20
2007-05-31, 11:29 PM
Sort of a random question but:

The pilot called mayday. What is the difference when calling an emergency between pan and mayday? What situation should use which one?

SP-LPB
2007-05-31, 11:39 PM
Here's the whole video:
http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_ ... -8457.html (http://www.flightlevel350.com/Aircraft_Boeing_757-200-Airline_Thomsonfly_Aviation_Video-8457.html)

Sort of a random question but:

The pilot called mayday. What is the difference when calling an emergency between pan and mayday? What situation should use which one?

Mayday means that there is an imminent danger to life, triple pan usually means that there is no immediate danger.

hiss srq
2007-06-01, 02:25 AM
Pan pan pan is distress, it is in laymens borderline need to solve some things but something is going on to break it down. Mayday in laym,ens means **** hit the fan, imediate danger is posed, were going back. Basically in Ryan terms.

PhilDernerJr
2007-06-01, 08:44 AM
The extended video is great. Listening to that pulsating noise fromt he engine is wild. I wonder how the was for the pax on the aircraft.

Delta777LR
2007-06-02, 01:28 AM
Ive seen the video over and over again at flightlevel350.com its amazing for Simon Lowe to be there at the right place at the right time. I cant imagine how scared the passengers were.