PDA

View Full Version : 16 plane passengers hurt in turbulence

TallDutch
2007-05-31, 03:24 AM
SIXTEEN people were hurt, two of them seriously, when a KLM passenger jet hit turbulence soon after take-off from a western Japan airport today, a report said.

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines Flight 867, bound for Amsterdam, flew into turbulence shortly after it departed from Kansai airport near Osaka and was forced to turn back, the airline said.

The airline and local officials said they did not have immediate information on any injuries.
But Kyodo News, quoting firefighters, said 16 people were hurt, two of them seriously.

The plane returned to Kansai airport after the incident, the Dutch airline said.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21 ... public_rss (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21825290-38196,00.html?from=public_rss)

AirtrafficController
2007-05-31, 02:45 PM
wow I didn't know heavy jets could experince that heavy turbulence

PhilDernerJr
2007-05-31, 04:19 PM
Any plane can experience turbulence.

AirtrafficController
2007-05-31, 04:44 PM
i understand but a heavy jet, was it wake turbulence or turbulence as in cold air sinks and warm air risses?

PhilDernerJr
2007-05-31, 04:46 PM
Regular turbulence inthis case, but any plane of any size can experience wake turbulence as well.

heeshung
2007-05-31, 05:51 PM
It always seems like most of the turbulence stories you hear about are from that area. One that comes readily to mine is the Air Canada 767 that had to turn back to Tokyo Narita a couple months ago also due to turbulence. I have been through the stretch of sea and land from Japan down to Taiwan or the Philippines multiple times, around the Ryukyu Islands, and it seems like every time I go, there's always some sort of turbulence in that area, sometimes heavy.

Are there specific weather patterns there that are responsible?

RDU-JFK
2007-06-01, 08:17 AM
On Sunday when I was flying back from ICN to JFK we hit some moderate turbulence over...you guessed it...Japan. I had to pour some of my coffee into another cup to keep it from spilling all over the damn place.