PDA

View Full Version : Planning 1st Visit to East of JFK Spotting Sites

shamrock838
2007-05-21, 11:31 PM
Greetings,

[I'm referring to NYCA "JFK Spotting Map" spotter sites C, D, F, and G.]

My goal is to catch incoming arrivals using JFK 31L and 31R ... if the wind continues from the NW and these runways are active. I would hope for a favorable sun angle here.

Being a non-driver ... I'm thinking of taking the LIRR Far Rockaway Branch from Jamaica to such stops as Cedarhurst ... Lawrence ... Inwood ... and Far Rockaway. My viewing options might include: the LIRR station platforms themselves ... and/or some footwork to more favorable locations. I'll have a pocket edition of the Hagstrom "New York City 5 Borough" street atlas with me. I note also that the Q-113 bus zigzags through the area.

Not sure if all this is doable ... or advisable ... for Tuesday (May 22) in the 10am through 2pm (or so) time slot. I would be travelling solo with hand-held camera gear in an anonymous black bag.

So-o-o ... not knowing this area at all ... suggestions ... precautions ... whatever ... are most welcomed ... soonest?. Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

Delta777LR
2007-05-22, 10:57 AM
Well I usually spot at JFK mostly Mondays, Tuesdays and thursdays as for LGA at spot usually from the Bronx, where i live at Throgs neck close to soundview where i catch the runway 22 arrivals. I can always help you with mass transit since i dont drive myself Shamrock. :wink:

T-Bird76
2007-05-22, 11:46 AM
10am through 2pm are the worst times of the day to spot. For the 31s it will be backlit early then a harsh top lit situation, 4 will be totally backlit after 11, 22 will also be backlit except for certain areas along Rockaway. During this time of year into the summer the best times to spot are early in the morning and from 3 on to sunset. If your motive it high quality photos then 10am to 2pm is going to produce poorer quality shots, if you just want to catalogue, knock yourself out then.

PhilDernerJr
2007-05-22, 02:56 PM
Tommy is right...but that's only if you are looking to take photographs. Otherwise, it's not that bad. Definitely rough if you are looking for Jp/Anet atyle shots. If you are just looking to document aircraft for your own personal collection, you should be good.