PDA

View Full Version : Boeing, Airbus Await Word On US Airways Order

Midnight Mike
2007-05-21, 01:04 AM
Boeing, Airbus Await Word On US Airways Order
Fri, 18 May '07

Announcement Expected In Paris Next Month

A vigil of sorts is underway in the commercial aircraft industry, as rivals Boeing and Airbus await an announcement by US Airways of who will get an order for as many as 90 new widebody jets.

US Airways Senior VP of Planning Andrew Nocella added to the intrigue, in a recent interview with the Seattle Post Intelligencer.

"The analysis continues," Nocella said. "It has turned out to be far more complicated than we had thought going into this."

Airbus desperately needs some good news to rally shareholders and employees, and is thought to be the favorite to get an order for the A350 WXB. But it may also have to make deep concessions to hold the order, after a scrapping of the plane's original design has put it years behind the competition from Boeing.

"The Dreamliner is a plane we can see and touch very, very soon," Nocella said. "The A350 is a fresh design that will have a few advantages because of the five years of extra development time."

Adding to the speculation is the carrier's past history with Airbus. As Aero-News reported, Airbus provided some $250 million in financing for US Airways' 2005 acquisition by America West. Shortly after the funding was announced, US Airways announced a 20-plane order for the original, non-XWB A350.

The purchase is thought to be an influential one within the industry. Nocella says US Airways won't announce its decision until the paperwork is complete, but hopes that will happen by the Paris airshow in mid-June.

hiss srq
2007-05-21, 01:06 AM
I expect the French to get royally bitch smacked in the face not once but twice front hand and back hand. Heres to a Boeing order!

stuart schechter
2007-05-21, 09:27 AM
As much as I LOVE boeing, because Airbust supplied $250M to US, I think that to gratify Airbust, they will go with AB.

T-Bird76
2007-05-21, 10:24 AM
As much as I LOVE boeing, because Airbust supplied $250M to US, I think that to gratify Airbust, they will go with AB.

US Paid off that loan in full and has no further obligation to Airbus. US is going to go with what suits them the best for their future long term goals.

Winglets747
2007-05-21, 11:04 AM
I think this one is up in the air.

US says they will go with a single-manufacturer order, praise the 787 to no end, yet the 739 doesn't fit in their fleet (although it would be much better for transcons than 321s).

hiss srq
2007-05-21, 12:00 PM
Actually the 739 would fit very well to the fleet contrary to beleif. The reason is those who hold the 737 type rateing simply need diffrences training. It is like going from the E-170 to the E-175. Systems diffrences are minimal even though the 739 is a glass cockpit. CO pilots and WN crew routinely fly one leg on a 733 and than go fly the 73NG's. The engine is essentially the same with systems diffrences being minimal. Not only that when your talking about an order of that size and magnitude it is completely justifyable. It is a diffrent niche airplane.

Winglets747
2007-05-21, 03:23 PM
Err, sorry. I should have clarified that 739s would be an entirely new plane whereas US already has 321s.

nwafan20
2007-05-21, 03:25 PM
I don't know why, but I just have a feeling this is going to go to Airbus, I hope my feeling is wrong though.

PHL Approach
2007-05-22, 12:58 AM
Ryan is correct. This will be a Boeing order across the board. I've seen hints on "The hub" listed in some obscure locations using the 787 as an example for a comparison. It was just put up a few days ago too.... hmmmm. Also I don't think they will be morons and order the 321's. They definately know the problems with the Airbii on the Transcons.