PDA

View Full Version : Book signing & launch party - Aircraft: The Jet as Art

maem01
2007-05-19, 08:27 PM
In the May Hudson Valley mag - Chronogram (Arts. Culture. Spirit) they are advertizing that the Center for Photography at Woodstock and the Golden Notebook are pleased to Present;

A book signing & launch party of AIRCRAFT: THE JET AS ART, PHOTOGRAPHS BY JEFFREY MILSTEIN,

ON SATURDAY MAY 26, 5-7PM AT THE CENTER FOR PHOTOGRAPHY AT WOODSTOCK (http://WWW.CPW.ORG & WWW. WOODSTOCKARTSCONSORTIUM.ORG) 59 TINKER ST, WOODSTOCK, NY 12498 845-679-9957

IN CASE ANYONE IS INTERESTED

mirrodie
2007-05-20, 09:14 AM
I've been waiting to see/hear more about this book.

Finally there was a review on amazon. Wasn't it Gordon who had the book? WOuld you agree or disagree?

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
Disappointed, May 18, 2007
By G. Wong (Toronto, Canada) - See all my reviews
As an aircraft enthusiast and someone who appreciates art I was very excited to see this book. Finally, someone recognizes that airplane liveries are more than just a paint job and corporate brand but also an art form. Unfortunately the book author/photographer has failed to appreciate the art himself and instead fell in love with his execution of the photographs. The cover should have been a big clue as to how the book was going to be. It is the underside of a 737-300 which is probably the worst angle to appreciate the livery on the plane. You really don't see much of the artwork of the plane from this angle at all especially since the centerline of the plane acts as a seam. More than 60% of the book are shots of the undersides of planes. So unless you want multiple pictures of what the underside of a 737 or 757 looks like, you won't see much artwork. The other 40% of pictures include several head-on shots of planes where seeing the artwork is almost non-existent. The photographer seems to have chosen the two worst angles to shoot the planes to highlight the liveries on them. I am very disappointed with the book and if I completely missed the point of it (as one might argue) than I would say the title and passage on the back were very misleading as to what I should expect. [/i]

Tom_Turner
2007-05-20, 10:22 AM
A well written critique, that, without having seen the book, but hearing about it before, I suspect will be general reaction of most spotters (us).

Whether the photographer/author did have something else in mind we are missing, or not, he will surely be labeled a "heretic" in no time anyway... :)

If so, at least it will be in keeping with the notion that all "art" must offend someone... :)

Tom

I've been waiting to see/hear more about this book.

Finally there was a review on amazon. Wasn't it Gordon who had the book? WOuld you agree or disagree?

1 of 1 people found the following review helpful:
Disappointed, May 18, 2007
I am very disappointed with the book and if I completely missed the point of it (as one might argue) than I would say the title and passage on the back were very misleading as to what I should expect. [/i]

mirrodie
2007-05-20, 12:52 PM
WEll I just went through this weeks mail and magazines and came across this in ...Endless Vacations Magazine. Good timing. Looks that book is getting billing all over the place.

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/aartac.jpg

Mayi757
2007-06-27, 12:03 AM
What's the special livery or airline on that yellow 757? Looks like it has some purple and I can't think of any existing livery combination like it.

Whoever identifies it is too cool.

And yes very weird that most of the pictures are of planes' bottoms.. I guess the guy is an expressionist artist and wanted an unusual angle that perhaps shows the upside-down nature of the world today or something? lol there is really no other explanation.

Iberia A340-600
2007-06-27, 12:06 AM
What's the special livery or airline on that yellow 757? Looks like it has some purple and I can't think of any existing livery combination like it.

Whoever identifies it is too cool.

And yes very weird that most of the pictures are of planes' bottoms.. I guess the guy is an expressionist artist and wanted an unusual angle that perhaps shows the upside-down nature of the world today or something? lol there is really no other explanation.

America West 757-200 "teamwork", which is actually no longer.

http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1173842/L/

stuart schechter
2007-06-27, 12:53 AM
I have the book and even though it is the underside, it is fun to guess what livery it is from the underside.

Mayi757
2007-06-27, 12:59 AM
IIRC the teamwork plane wasn't that strong of a yellow like in that drawing but wOoWow man, that's impressive! good catch :mrgreen: gracias!

That captions says it was the last one so I guess all special c/s 757s are gone.. what a shame :/ The A319 specials are great too, they just dont look as good on such a short plane in my eyes.

MORS-AB-ALTO
2007-06-27, 10:24 AM
I saw this book at Borders last week. Basically it's all shots of commercial aircraft from the underside on a white background.

eric8669
2007-06-27, 10:31 AM
also saw this book at Borders. Based on the Aircraft and Schemes photographed in this book it looks like a lot of the shots were taken at LAX.

Eric