PDA

View Full Version : A Happy Encounter at JFK on May 6

shamrock838
2007-05-19, 04:45 AM
Greetings,

On May 6 (Sunday) I was at JFK doing my spotting thing solo-like and chanced across three amiable, middle-aged Britons doing the same thing at an indoor non-Terminal 4 location.

These gentlemen were really into the spotting thing … European-style? … so I introduced myself as a rank newbie to the scene. I was accepted on the spot and drawn into the world of aircraft spotting in a way I never expected.

These chaps each had a well-worn copy of air-britain.com’s AFQR 2007 (Airline Fleets Quick Reference) where each airline is listed along with every aircraft in their inventory … by registration number … with engine type and airframe history … et al. Each time an aircraft landed … taxied by … or took off … one of them with binoculars calmly called out the airline and registration number while the others dutifully checked their AFQR to see if it was new to them. Usually they had seen it before … either here or somewhere else in the world ... as their AFQR’s were copiously red-marked with hundreds of previous confirmations.

They cheerfully related their craft and experience to me … calling upon their m-a-n-y years of experience … replete with colorful anecdotes … in various parts of the world … including Europe, Africa, Australasia, etc. Ah … the stories and adventures they shared. Also … they knew … simply knew … instantly and on sight … almost every airline and aircraft type down to its modification type and probable history. For example … tidbits such as how to differentiate between a Boeing 777 and an Airbus 340 on the ground by its landing gear alone … three wheel sets rather than two … if I got that correctly. And how some of the newer Boeing 757s are coming out with winglets, etc. All of you know this of course … but it was new to me.

It was through them that I learned the existence of air-britain.com … and of course … nycaviation.com. So if anyone here wants to blame someone for pointing me in your direction … they’re the ones! [LOL]

We just stood around there … yakked … and spotted for easily two hours … in plain view … with passengers and airport types passing by in fits and spurts … and not a hint of undue attention. They took down their sightings while I photographed selected aircraft like it was the most natural and accepted pastime. I added to my limited ... but growing ... store of airline knowledge by the minute … learning more in just those two hours than I had in my entire life to date.

They had been stationed there for all that day plus 7-8 hours the previous day (SAT). They were certainly into their craft and provided me with a splendid introduction into aircraft spotting. I thought afterwards … if other aircraft spotters are even half as unselfish … sharing … and genial as these chaps … I’ve come to the right hobby. Hopefully that will continue to be so.

We remain in touch via e-mail … one is a transplanted Briton now in Providence, RI while the other two are back in Essex just E of London … by now. Indeed … two of them are snail-mailing me separately ... as I speak … sample copies of air-britain.com publications to give an idea of what’s available out there in the wide world of aircraft spotting. In their worldwide experience they concluded that our collective hobby seems to be more developed … more widely practiced … and more publicly accepted over there … especially in the UK, the Netherlands, and Germany … than on this side of “the pond.” Interesting.

Just thought I’d share this …

Mike (shamrock838)

PhilDernerJr
2007-05-19, 04:56 AM
Glad you had a good time and got to see what spotting is all about....planes and friends.

tipek
2007-05-19, 11:19 AM
I guess you have spent two hours too much with them. Now everybody is chap to you? :) Last year I was spotting for two days with British spotter. For the next few weeks I would call peopel "bloke" :)

Rafal

BTW - New B757s are not coming out with winglets. There are no new 757. The production line was closed few years ago.

AirtrafficController
2007-05-19, 11:32 AM
good job chap