PDA

View Full Version : Anyone listening to JFK tower? -radar services terminated

nwafan20
2007-05-18, 07:19 PM
So, I just tuned into JFK tower, and the second transmission I hear is a pilot of a Cherokee trying to make small talk with the controller (the one who lashed out at those overseas airlines) during the international rush. Here is what I think I heard:

Cherokee: So, how about that weather?
JFK Tower: Cherokee ******, I don't have time to chat right now, radar services terminated climb.... (don't remember the whole thing)
and then in a very humble voice comes" Climb.... thanks for your help (in a humble and sarcastic voice)

Fun :D

AirtrafficController
2007-05-18, 07:33 PM
yep ATC is a serious job

T-Bird76
2007-05-18, 07:45 PM
yep ATC is a serious job

Nah that's just JFK tower, you should hear how these guys treat allot of the pilots. Its a stressful job but a degree of professionalism should be maintained. I recently heard a controller yell at a Delta pilot for no reason at all. The pilot made a simple request and the controller started to yell at him about having Delta's entire fleet on the ground and he should tell the ramp to get with it. This kind of stress and overreaction are not called for.

hiss srq
2007-05-18, 07:49 PM
It happens. Trust me when your trying to keep a picture in your head during a rush and someone calls in with information request not vital to information you just kind of react because you are trying to maintain that picture and focus. Even here with ramp control when I am trying to keep a sequince in my head I do not want to be bothered with needless banter like oh is this and this happening.

Iberia A340-600
2007-05-18, 08:03 PM
I was listening to one of the ATC clips from the JFK tower that they have on YouTube

http://youtube.com/watch?v=SUnVlyyar4M

And my favorite part of the clip is when the ATC guy says to an Iberia A340-600:

"Your enable to do anything in that plane of yours sir."

:lol:

NYCMedic
2007-05-18, 08:12 PM
I agree that useless banter should be kept off of the airwaves when traffic is at its peak, but at the same time the job of ATC and also ramp controllers does require one to multi task in a faced paced and sometimes stressful environment. I know it is hard to decipher a lot of what many foreign cockpit crews are trying to say, but again professionalism and a calm, collected demeanor should be a controllers priority.

hiss srq
2007-05-18, 08:38 PM
Oh, I completely agree. Right now my biggest frustration lately is the French Canadians flying JAZZ CRJ's into LGA. Sometimes they will go off inot a banter and I will be like whoa whoa hold up last aircraft to call please repear callsign and request slowly. I am a bit fast paced so when I get hard accents it slows my picture and my progress. The other thing I hate is Saabs, umph! Than they sit for ever it seems like on Alpha before they are ready to get moving and cause litteral traffic jams sometimes here at LGA. Earlier today I was working three at once on diffrent corner of my authority. urrrrr

AirtrafficController
2007-05-18, 10:26 PM
looks like im headin to a stressful job

hiss srq
2007-05-18, 11:04 PM
You certainly are. Espesially if you want to work Terminal or TRACON here in the New York area unless you go up to an airport like BDL.

njgtr82
2007-05-18, 11:48 PM
when a VFR aircraft leaves the class B airspace, atc terminates radar services unless they're gonna receive flight following from the tracon

Informant
2007-05-19, 03:31 PM
when a VFR aircraft leaves the class B airspace, atc terminates radar services unless they're gonna receive flight following from the tracon

This is the real reason, with the Cherokee out of his hair , this controller has one less aircraft to give traffic advisories to, and the pilot can just as easily go to LGA or APP for flight following.

PHL Approach
2007-05-20, 12:20 AM
It's really not as stressful of a job as everyone says it is. Sure if you add a few mesoscale complexes across your finals during the summer then yea sure it will get a bit hairy coordinating releases out of the hold with the Center and vectoring guys all over and off the final in every which direction. Other than that if your humble then everything is good.

Informant
2007-05-20, 02:06 PM
It's really not as stressful of a job as everyone says it is. Sure if you add a few mesoscale complexes across your finals during the summer then yea sure it will get a bit hairy coordinating releases out of the hold with the Center and vectoring guys all over and off the final in every which direction. Other than that if your humble then everything is good.

Break rooms with recliners, sofas, satellite tv's, closets full of soda and snacks... you're right its not!

hiss srq
2007-05-20, 02:07 PM
I like the cab personally. Who needs a break room? Being payed to spot is great stuff.

PHL Approach
2007-05-21, 12:10 AM
I like the cab personally. Who needs a break room? Being payed to spot is great stuff.

Ehh cabs are boring. Usually overcrowded due to the floor space being to small. Nothing beats blendin' dem finals.

hiss srq
2007-05-21, 12:11 AM
LOl that is why we would work well together agt LGA, No fights for a swap lol.

DHG750R
2007-05-21, 01:21 AM
It happens. Trust me when your trying to keep a picture in your head during a rush and someone calls in with information request not vital to information you just kind of react because you are trying to maintain that picture and focus. Even here with ramp control when I am trying to keep a sequince in my head I do not want to be bothered with needless banter like oh is this and this happening.

I completely understand the frustration . One thing I used to stress to the ramp controllers was it's your job to control the overall mood on the radio . Loose control and the crew's will run all over you.
Some were better than others at multi tasking while keeping the big picture . Ground control is a lot like that , only bigger
Fortunately i've had the benefit of seeing it from both sides.

hiss srq
2007-05-21, 01:28 AM
I completely agree. I find tha though Colgan is the biggest pain in the arse they are also the ones who speak up and make it fun as well.