PDA

View Full Version : 5-9-07 JFK - The Mounds

MORS-AB-ALTO
2007-05-12, 12:07 PM
After dropping my future father-in-law off at the Terminal 6 I decided to do a little spotting. First time really around JFK so after some exploring around the airport perimeter I found Bayswater Park, but the arrivals were set up for The Mounds so off I went. Found it with some dead reckoning so my fiance and I parked the car and took too up resindence. Got there around 10:00 AM and really wasn't anything arriving except for a few domestic Delta flights. I was shooting into the sun and was about to leave until I saw a few heavies lineing up.

We were there for about a half hour when I see a unmarked Impala roll up and I start thinking "Here we go". I really payed not attention and continued shooting while I saw the 2 female officers approaching out of the corner of my eye. They made their way up the hill and both offered a handshake introducing themselves. The 2 officers were actually NYPD school security and said that some children in the school were concerned about someone outside with a large camera. Mind you recess was not in session so no kids were outside so I guess they were noy paying attention and looking out the window. Anyway, my Fiance says " That's good that people are concerned and you follow up on such things". I explain that I'm just an enthusiast and taking pictures of airplanes and received that bewildered look we all know. I offered the officer my ID before being asked and one took information while I explained that I was not on school property. The two then wished us a nice day and left to answer another call. Afther they departed we saw a few school officials outside giving us dirty looks for about 10 minutes before returning inside.

We stayed until about 11:30 and I got Air France, ANA & AA 777's, Singapore & JAL 747's and a few others. I will definately have to return when the light is better in the late afternoon.

On a funny we saw one of the biggest rats we've ever seen. It was galloping accross the soccer field in broad daylight before making it's way over the mound and into the marsh area only about 20 feet away from us. We were almost ready to pick up rocks! Makes me want to watch my step next time.

mirrodie
2007-05-12, 01:18 PM
TOo bad I missed you. Was out there from 0900 to 1200

Iberia A340-600
2007-05-12, 02:47 PM
First time I've heard about an incident at the mounds!

Tom_Turner
2007-05-12, 08:38 PM
There are easily issues at the mounds on school days, and once in a while at other times.

Mors - Are you sure it was a rat and not a muskrat? (or possibly a possum).

Its a "natural area" or what passes for one at least. I am fairly sure the community doesn't need injured, mutilated rats in the soccer field.

Tom

MORS-AB-ALTO
2007-05-13, 12:22 AM
Definitely not a opossum or a muskrat. I live adjacent to West Hills County Park and have seen both along with most everything else except deer. I'm not El Chupacabra so I wouldn't leave mutilated rat corpses around the community. :) Although seeing one walk around so freely in the daytime puts your guard up, especially after being bitten by a raccoon when when I was 10.

Tom_Turner
2007-05-13, 12:56 AM
Thats awful being bitten by a racoon.

I take it wasn't rabid? Don't know if the medical procedure has changed for that, but I have heard it was very involved and painful..?! shots to the stomach or something?

I guess there probably are dumpsters by the school...and plenty of water etc. I usually see pheasants of some type there on the soccer field at dusk..so I thought it wasn't too bad but I guess there must be an infestation of rats if they're so bold in the daytime now.

MORS-AB-ALTO
2007-05-13, 01:19 AM
My father and I had to catch the raccoon to avoid the series of shots in my stomach. As far as I know that's still the only cure. Felt bad for the thing after the fact, but it had to be euthanized to test if it had rabies. I was on the ground bagging leaves when i see this thing come right up to me out of the woods and then all hell broke loose.

Although I'm really a military fast jet guy the mounds were enjoyable and I can't wait to go on a better day with the light behind me. I've gutted my US airshow schedule this year to go to the UK for RIAT and Belgium for Kleine-Brogel so I'll be frequenting local points more often this year.

SengaB
2007-05-13, 02:44 AM
My last experience was at the mounds..They were not as kind to me and the other guy as they were to you.

Senga

wunaladreamin
2007-05-13, 12:54 PM
Hey Rob, you better call someone next time before you go. I've been hounding your old lady to let you come out and play! Oh and wish her a happy mother's day from me as well.