PDA

View Full Version : New to All This But Ready to Learn ...

shamrock838
2007-05-11, 07:26 PM
Greetings to all ...

I just joined NYC Aviation.com and am glad to have access to a forum like this. At last I'm no longer "alone out there."

Since I’m a new member … a little background on moi first. I’m actually of retirement age … though I pass for mid-50’s … really. I’m still working at CBS Television after 39 years … and may retire after reaching 40 years in 2008.

I’m also an honorably discharged military veteran … married 35 years with two grown children in their 30’s. I live in Flushing (Queens) on a direct line with LAG runway 31 … so I always know when the winds are from the NW <grin>. I don’t drive so I depend of public transportation and my own two feet. I’m a longtime photographer and have a circa 2003 Canon D60 SLR with interchangeable telephone lens, which probably looks “serious” … aka “suspicious?” … to the authorities.

I have a host of questions about aviation spotting … including the “national security” aspect ... since I’m rather protective of my rights as an American citizen who served his country militarily and honorably.

At any rate ... I’ll now start posting these accordingly.

One question at the outset: - to anyone’s knowledge is NYC Aviation.com forums monitored by “non-aviation spotter” interests such as security and government agencies who may not have our best … albeit innocent … hobby interests at heart? It would seem logical for them to do so since we're most likely on their radar screens. And how do all of you cope with this?

Any advice … suggestions … tips … et al on all this will be most welcomed. Thanks.

Mike (shamrock838)

PhilDernerJr
2007-05-11, 07:55 PM
Welcome to the site!

We have several members who are employed by various governm,etn agencies, but I would honestly, not be surprised if it was otherwise monirtored, which is fine by me.

We face a threat that is very real these days, and God forbid someone join the site as a spotter whom is ill-intentioned.

hiss srq
2007-05-11, 09:14 PM
Welcome to the family Mike. It is a family really.

mirrodie
2007-05-11, 11:31 PM
Welcome in my friend.

nwafan20
2007-05-12, 09:20 AM
Welcome to the site!

Granted, I don't live around NYC, so I don't deal with the security issues that you guys do, but I know it can be difficult.

The best thing to do is stay calm, cool, and collected (and polite). Explain to them that you KNOW this hobby is perfectly legal. It might be best to print out the PHOTOGRAPHERS RIGHTS brochure here: http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

I don't feel it really poses a threat if other people are monitoring this site, it will just show them that we are actually a good group of people who are probably some of the most law abiding citizens around.

Most of us around here have DSLR cameras that draw attention.

shamrock838
2007-05-12, 10:18 AM
Welcome to the site!

The best thing to do is stay calm, cool, and collected (and polite). Explain to them that you KNOW this hobby is perfectly legal. It might be best to print out the PHOTOGRAPHERS RIGHTS brochure here: http://www.krages.com/phoright.htm

Matt ...

THANK YOU for this link! I've already downloaded and printed this information. Just having it with me in the field ... in case ... is a positive thing. I may even carry along a couple of extra copies to offer to persistent security types. Being new to this ... and "alone out there" can be daunting at times.

Thanks again.

Mike (shamrock838)

nwafan20
2007-05-12, 10:43 AM
Welcome to the site!

Matt ...

THANK YOU for this link! I've already downloaded and printed this information. Just having it with me in the field ... in case ... is a positive thing. I may even carry along a couple of extra copies to offer to persistent security types. Being new to this ... and "alone out there" can be daunting at times.

Thanks again.

Mike (shamrock838)

No problem, I was linked to it by someone on this forum, I keep it with me at all times, might as well pass it on! It is great information written by a lawyer to present to security guards and police officers when being questioned on your rights.

PhilDernerJr
2007-05-12, 11:47 AM
Keep in mind that the "photo right" doesn't protect you in places like airports, where rules (not necessarily laws) can be set about photography by airport management.

nwafan20
2007-05-12, 12:31 PM
Keep in mind that the "photo right" doesn't protect you in places like airports, where rules (not necessarily laws) can be set about photography by airport management.

But, as detailed in the information, if you are on public property (off airport grounds) you can take pictures of the airport and airplanes.

But Phil is right, if you are on their property, they have the right to kick you off.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-05-12, 01:37 PM
Hello, and welcome!