PDA

View Full Version : EWR spotting

JZ1
2007-05-08, 10:14 PM
Hi: after visiting JFK and LGA many times, I now want to do some spotting in EWR. What are the locations you can recommend for EWR?

Iberia A340-600
2007-05-08, 10:47 PM
I'd would suggest using either Ikea or Long-Term parking lot 6.

Ikea is great for departures when 22 is in use and Long-Term lot 6 is good for arrivals for 22.

If 4 departures are going on I'd say try Long-Term lot 7 as you should be able to get a nice side on shot of the aircraft lifting off.

Winglets747
2007-05-09, 08:25 AM
Isn't Ikea a no go, or has it gotten better?

SengaB
2007-05-09, 10:40 AM
Every place at EWR is a no go.
EWR is not recommended for spotting unless there is something there you HAVE to get. If not don't go.

Senga

dampfnudel
2007-06-17, 12:33 AM
I had to go to Ikea last week to look for something. I didn't find what I was looking for, so I decided to have some meatballs and then drive home (Brooklyn). Anyway, when I got to my car, I decided to take a couple of pictures of it since I just washed it. I wasn't even thinking of taking pictures of the planes landing on 4R when the security guy pulled up next to me giving me a warning to stop taking pictures.

He also warned me that my memory card could be confiscated by the police. Did that ever happen to anyone ?

Tom_Turner
2007-06-17, 02:08 AM
Yes, I believe it has happened.

TT

LGA777
2007-06-17, 06:50 PM
Ikea at EWR has to be one of the worst spots in the NYC area as far as security and Police hassles, I believe it under the jurisdiction of the notoriously spotter unfriendly Elizabeth Police Dept. But the Swedish Meatballs in the cafe upstairs rule and the view from up their for at least watching the action is great.

Regards

LGA777

markg
2007-06-18, 02:52 PM
He also warned me that my memory card could be confiscated by the police. Did that ever happen to anyone ?

Back in '03 when I was still using film, I got the whole film confiscated by PAPD while at IKEA. Even though I had non-aircraft photos on there, I was told the film would be destroyed.

Ari707
2007-06-18, 03:55 PM
its incredable how much it has changed there, The cafe used to have outdoor seating and I used to sit outhere for hours with my camera and scanner while my wife shopped

nwafan20
2007-06-18, 06:06 PM

Back in '03 when I was still using film, I got the whole film confiscated by PAPD while at IKEA. Even though I had non-aircraft photos on there, I was told the film would be destroyed.

You should have stood up and fought it, that is illegal seizure of property, even if it has aircraft photos, which are not illegal.

That is against the law for them to do that and they would be in serious trouble!

Tom_Turner
2007-06-18, 09:43 PM
He's not the only one this has happened to.

And its not just the Port Authority or Elizabeth Police that are alleged to have done this. {I wouldn't really expect the Port to do this nowadays, but who knows..)

One can be "detained" - along with your car and property for a long time while matters are sorted.

I applaud anyone that goes the distance here to stand up for their rights, and maybe establish some precedent or common sense over there, but I would also hate to see some niave newbie spotter on this site go over to EWR IKEA area and run into a collosal hassle for quoting their rights.

Tom

You should have stood up and fought it, that is illegal seizure of property, even if it has aircraft photos, which are not illegal.

That is against the law for them to do that and they would be in serious trouble!

JZ1
2007-06-19, 08:47 AM
Has anyone tried the location slight to the south of IKEA, in the parking lot of the hotel (Courtyard by Marriott) there? I wonder if you will fair better there.

Tom_Turner
2007-06-19, 01:54 PM
You might do better there JZ. No one can say for sure.

Any given day you may be fine anyplace in the area, but one of tte issues is Homeland Security considers the eiiree area one of the most sensitive in the coutnry. You have the Container Ship port, (and cutoms police), the railroad lines, all kinds of fuel tanks, EWR itself, Goethals Bridge, and I-95 going by, the Cruise Ship berth etc..... There are a lot of agenices involved and a lot of paranoia to go along with legitimate concerns.

Don't let it stop you JZ. Just get your plane(s) and get out would be my advice.. Go in with a plan.. The odds stack up against you if you are doing any carefree shooting.

FlyingColors
2007-06-24, 11:52 AM
Has anyone tried the location slight to the south of IKEA, in the parking lot of the hotel (Courtyard by Marriott) there? I wonder if you will fair better there.

I can Tom.

There are "no parking" signs on that street. So that's an issue right off the bat.
Plus you have lots of windows looking at you.
The planes are a bit high and you have to shoot around the tele wires and polls.
Not a great spot at all.

FlyingColors
2007-06-24, 12:04 PM
When going to IKEA you need some props and tack.

For starters, forget about picking out your maximum vantage point.
Loners get attacked immediately. You have to park near other cars to appear "normal"
I've be told by cops they don't even want people to look at the airport!

Walk yourself into the lobby of IKEA and get a free catalog. Return to your car and slap it on the dash so it can be seen. If your timing is good you can "read it" while the patrol is passing by. Why piss off a customer?

Light Poles: look around, they have added cameras to some of them-watch out.

Elizabeth cops: love to park right by the fence. If so-you can "forgetttabouuti Tony"
Drive around and pray he gets a call about the last french cruller at DDs.

G-BOAD
2007-06-24, 12:27 PM
When going to IKEA you need some props and tack.

For starters, forget about picking out your maximum vantage point.
Loners get attacked immediately. You have to park near other cars to appear "normal"
I've be told by cops they don't even want people to look at the airport!

Walk yourself into the lobby of IKEA and get a free catalog. Return to your car and slap it on the dash so it can be seen. If your timing is good you can "read it" while the patrol is passing by. Why piss off a customer?

Light Poles: look around, they have added cameras to some of them-watch out.

Elizabeth cops: love to park right by the fence. If so-you can "forgetttabouuti Tony"
Drive around and pray he gets a call about the last french cruller at DDs.

I love the way that post sounds. Like Spotters Bourne Identity :D

FlyingColors
2007-06-24, 12:36 PM
Unfortunate but true.