PDA

View Full Version : Rent a laptop.

mirrodie
2007-05-06, 11:21 AM
I have a little solo trip coming up and was thinking of renting a laptop.

My only goal for its use would be to edit my photos while in flight(figure 8 hours of flight total). Therefore it would need to be a laptop with photoshop 7 or higher.

Has anyone done this before? What are costs like?

moose135
2007-05-06, 11:40 AM
I saw this and thought "I just read about someone wanting to rent a laptop..." then I realized you had posted the same question on a.net. At least I'm not losing my mind (well, at least not about this!)

T-Bird76
2007-05-06, 11:55 AM
http://www.rentapc.com/

We use them at the office all the time when we do system training and need 10 or more PC's.

mirrodie
2007-05-23, 11:11 PM
More laptop questions...

I've fortunate to be able to borrow a friends laptop for the weekend I had in mind. All I want to do is edit some photos while in flight.

I'll be using a Compaq Presario. What sort of adapters or power supplies would I need in order to plug into the a/cs power supply? I know laptops run on batteries but I would want to run this into the plane's dc supply. Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

nwafan20
2007-05-23, 11:22 PM
Most airplanes don't have a power supply you can use, what plane and airline will you be flying on?

mirrodie
2007-05-23, 11:46 PM
AA, on a 763 and 752

Seatguru showed dc power sockets at my seat reservations.

actually from aa.com. So having the info below, what do I need?

Powerports
Your seat may be equipped with a DC power outlet. American uses a "cigarette lighter" style outlet delivering 15 volts of direct current. On most aircraft*, a power outlet is available at each seat in First and Business class, as well as selected rows in the Coach cabin. Outlets may be used to operate laptop computers, CD/DVD players, charging cellphone and other devices with a maximum 75-watt capacity. Outlets are located on your seat console, or mounted to the seat frame below your seat cushion. Look for the "lightning bolt" symbol on the overhead bin rows containing powerport-equipped seats. For detailed powerport locations by aircraft type, visit the Our Planes section on AA.com. This information can also be found in the AA Timetable.

DC auto/air power adapter cords can be purchased at most electronics stores or through power cord manufacturers. Keep in mind that power adapter cords are device (laptop or DVD) and model specific. Splitter or Y adaptor cords may not be used. Only one device is allowed per outlet.

Matt Molnar
2007-05-24, 10:35 AM
You need to go to Radio Shack and get this or something similar:

Intec 12V DC-to-110V AC Car Power Inverter (http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2534971&cp=2032056.2032136.2032154&parentPage=family)

You plug that into the cigarette lighter and then plug the laptop's power cord into the device.