PDA

View Full Version : A Visit To The Airplane Shop

Bellucciman
2007-05-03, 04:03 PM
I went to the Airplane Shop over in Fairfield, NJ during my lunch hour this afternoon. It's great since I work so close to that area but the traffic is usually pretty bad so I don't go too often during the week. But, today, I said screw it since it's so nice out there! I could have spent hours there looking at all of the cool stuff. I found a Delta L1011 1/200 and a ATA 727 1/200 as well. I was going to pick up both but when I went to the counter to pay I found I didn't have my wallet! Left it at the office! So instead I went for a America West Boeing 757 1/200 instead (Bargin price at $9.95). Paid with the only $10 bill in my pocket! I asked the woman at the counter if there were any openings in the company :D She said no, so I went back to the office :cry:

mirrodie
2007-05-03, 07:14 PM
I've never been there but I suppose its like Disneyworld for us ;)

Been keepin an eye on the Hogan selection. I like their size and detailing.

T-Bird76
2007-05-03, 07:18 PM
I've been to the one in Vegas and its awesome.

wunaladreamin
2007-05-03, 07:37 PM
Been to the Jersey one a couple of times. It's sweet!

NYCMedic
2007-05-03, 07:55 PM
I miss the one in the East wing of the old Terminal 4/ IAB at JFK

stuart schechter
2007-05-03, 08:04 PM
I want one to come to the city. I was looking for one for a while but I don't want to drive to Fairfield.

T-Bird76
2007-05-03, 08:09 PM

How many years ago was that? When I was up in Calgary last month they have a store in the airport "Just Plane Fun" what a fantastic store from what I could see since it was closed. Rather a large selection of models and other aviation related goods.

Iberia A340-600
2007-05-03, 08:33 PM

The first time I entered the new Terminal 4 a couple of years ago was to look for the shop. Much to my dissapointment I was told the shop had been closed when the IAB had been torn down. :oops:

I have been to the Airplane Shop in Fairfield a couple of times and love it. I actually haven't gone in a couple of years though. I tend to do most of my model ordering from Germany now.

G-BOAD
2007-05-03, 09:47 PM
I went there a year and a half ago. Its a great store, but slightly overpriced. Now I typically order from Berlin or Amsterdam.

VikHathi
2007-05-03, 11:47 PM
Its a sweet store/mail order operation. With an intense selection.
I live like 5 min. from it, but only been their once. The owner wasn't in when I went there, but one of the employees was lingering around and I commented to him that this is such a cool store and he's like - "Its funny, we get people from all over the world whom order from us, and I dont see what they see in this stuff - I never could get into this".

I found that a bit odd that an employee would want to work there, given they have no interest in the items they carry. The owner must have liked him for his honesty to hire him.

RDU-JFK
2007-05-04, 08:18 AM
I want one to come to the city. I was looking for one for a while but I don't want to drive to Fairfield.

In the late 80s/early 90s the Airplane Shop used to be called "The Plane Shop"--23 West 45th Street in the city. Before then it was The Train Shop. Anyways, the old Plane shop had a lot of cool stuff, but then they moved to Willis Avenue in Albertson, Long Island. They then moved to Fairfield which is where they are now.

Anyone here remember the old "Plane Shop"?

Bellucciman
2007-05-04, 08:49 AM
So, I get home last night and rearrange my other models, because I have a great spot for this new one. I put the thing together and notice a few nicks and a little paint peeled from the nose. Ok, no problem it's "slightly used", that would explain the $9.95 price tag. I went to mount the model to the stand and the stand is for a 1/100 not a 1/200, the damn thing doesn't fit!

Oh well, back to the store today! :P
This time I'll have my wallet with me :twisted:

stuart schechter
2007-05-04, 09:06 AM
I wasn't on this earth in the late 80's! I may take a trip down there to see this!

NYCMedic
2007-05-04, 11:38 AM

How many years ago was that? .

Summer of 2000.....I distinctly remember the Cuban Sandwiches and Cookies at Roger's and making fun of a coworker for getting his haircut in the barber shop next to the airplane shop......Now come to think of it, The Airplane Shop had a Kiosk at Roosevelt field mall as well.

moose135
2007-05-04, 11:42 AM
All this talk about this place gets me interested, so I hunt up their web site, and look to see just where they are located. And then I realize - I've been past that way on I-80 or Rt 46 only about 10,000 times, and never knew they were there! I guess I'll have to make a point of stopping in the next time I'm heading to PA.

FlyingColors
2007-05-04, 04:28 PM
[quote="stuart schechter":506a7]I want one to come to the city. I was looking for one for a while but I don't want to drive to Fairfield.

In the late 80s/early 90s the Airplane Shop used to be called "The Plane Shop"--23 West 45th Street in the city. Before then it was The Train Shop. Anyways, the old Plane shop had a lot of cool stuff, but then they moved to Willis Avenue in Albertson, Long Island. They then moved to Fairfield which is where they are now.

Anyone here remember the old "Plane Shop"?[/quote:506a7]

They are in their second Fairfield location for just a few years now.
The original one was on Passaic Ave.

FlyingColors
2007-05-04, 04:30 PM
All this talk about this place gets me interested, so I hunt up their web site, and look to see just where they are located. And then I realize - I've been past that way on I-80 or Rt 46 only about 10,000 times, and never knew they were there! I guess I'll have to make a point of stopping in the next time I'm heading to PA.

My home is real close, so let me know if your comming out my way!