PDA

View Full Version : EWR: "Runway disaster waiting to happen?"

Tom_Turner
2007-05-03, 03:07 AM
http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=5261595 (http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=5261595)

Runway disaster waiting to happen?Eyewitness News Exclusive
Eyewitness News

(Newark - WABC, April 30, 2007) - Air traffic controllers at Newark Liberty Airport are speaking out and warning the public that the FAA is ignoring their worries about close calls at intersecting runways.

The Eyewitness News Investigators Jim Hoffer has this exclusive story.
For months, air traffic controllers at Newark held off talking to us on camera in hopes that the FAA would change the way they claim is a risky landing pattern involving intersecting runways. Days ago, they decided they were tired of waiting and it was time to tell their story.

It was a November day in 2005, air traffic controller Phil Wagner's worse day in his 12 years working the tower at Newark Liberty Airport.

"I'd say it was real close. The closest I've ever seen in my career," he said.

Two commercial jets were coming in for a landing at Newark at the same time on intersecting runways -- usually not a problem unless winds, poor visibility or timing forces one of the planes to abort its landing. And that's exactly what happened in this case. The pilot of the jet landing on runway 11 aborted his landing and started to climb directly into the path of the other plane landing on runway 22.

Air traffic controllers say there have been other close calls and there will be more in the future, because they say, landing planes simultaneously on intersecting runways especially when visibility is bad is just too risky.

"What's wrong with it is we're looking at is running two airplanes on converging courses that if one of the airplanes go around, they're going to hit somebody," said air traffic controller Russ Holleran.

For more than two years, Newark air traffic controllers have been urging the FAA to do something about this controversial procedure involving intersecting runways yet they still continue.

"All we're asking for is for the FAA to assist us in doing our jobs. It's our mandate to keep airplanes from colliding and we just want the tools and the help to do that," said air traffic controller Ray Adams.

One of those tools is the Converging Runway Display Aid, a radar that assists controllers in the safe landing of planes. But because of technical problems, it "has been disabled." Controllers say they need that radar or they need landings on intersecting runways to be staggered rather than simultaneous -- but that could slow down traffic.

Jim Hoffer: "Why does this continue? Is it because of capacity, because the FAA wants to get as many planes in as it can?"
Ray Adams: "FAA is under immense pressure to keep capacity high at Newark Airport. That pressure comes from the airlines."

In a response late today, the FAA said these landings are done "only in conditions where controllers can clearly see the incoming planes," adding "controllers are responsible for safe separation between airplanes."

And if there is a potential problem, "a controller is expected to use standard procedures to maintain safety, including asking one plane to abandon its landing and make a second approach."

That's exactly what this controller says he did and he swears it nearly led to a mid-air collision.

"This is a risky procedure and it needs to be stopped," Phil Wagner said.

The FAA says it only runs the intersecting landings during good weather. Controllers say even when it's clear, aiming two aircraft at each other leaves little margin for error.

PhilDernerJr
2007-05-03, 08:34 AM
*yawn* These articles pop up every 6 months or so about an NY airport. It really becomes the boy who cried wolf.

erpiu98
2007-05-03, 08:40 AM
Two commercial jets were coming in for a landing at Newark at the same time on intersecting runways -- usually not a problem unless winds, poor visibility or timing forces one of the planes to abort its landing. And that's exactly what happened in this case. The pilot of the jet landing on runway 11 aborted his landing and started to climb directly into the path of the other plane landing on runway 22.

I am not an expert but why and how would you use intersecting runways if weather was a factor. One of those aircrafts might have been landing in a cross wind which could have been one of the reason for the go around.
PS: How do they do it at LGA?

stuart schechter
2007-05-03, 09:13 AM
They were most likely using LAHSO and 11 intersects about 300 feet away from the end of the runway.

njgtr82
2007-05-03, 05:05 PM
They were most likely using LAHSO and 11 intersects about 300 feet away from the end of the runway.
LAHSO is only used when landing runway 4R. In this configuration the plane to 22L needs to be through the intersection before the other plane crosses threshold or the plane landing 11 needs to be on the deck holding short.

mirrodie
2007-05-03, 06:53 PM
*yawn* These articles pop up every 6 months or so about an NY airport. It really becomes the boy who cried wolf.

That is exactly what I think. There was no real news, so they went into the regurgitated news file.

uplander
2007-05-03, 08:50 PM
Let's say this was true. I'm not an expert, but what difference would it make if the RW11 landing was aborted? Even if it landed, the timing would still put in on a collision course with the 22 landing.

And doesn't every landing really have to account for a possible missed approach? It just doesn't make sense to me that they would allow simultaneous landings.

On that note, what about simultaneous landings of the parallels? Is that ever allowed at EWR?

JetBlueAirwaysFan
2007-05-03, 08:58 PM
One mistake at EWR could mean HUGE disaster if you ask me.

njgtr82
2007-05-03, 09:33 PM
Let's say this was true. I'm not an expert, but what difference would it make if the RW11 landing was aborted? Even if it landed, the timing would still put in on a collision course with the 22 landing.

And doesn't every landing really have to account for a possible missed approach? It just doesn't make sense to me that they would allow simultaneous landings.

On that note, what about simultaneous landings of the parallels? Is that ever allowed at EWR?
It doesnt make no sense if you ask me. If you watch the video on the link, thats what the one controller said happened and how it was a close call. The runway 11 arrival went missed. They can do simultaneous approaches if the pilots can maintain visual separation on final because the runways are in such close proximity. But this doesnt happen very often.

One mistake at EWR could mean HUGE disaster if you ask me.
One mistake anywhere could be a huge disaster.

FlyingColors
2007-05-04, 04:33 PM

That is exactly what I think. There was no real news, so they went into the regurgitated news file.

Ditto.

No news like bad news sells. (especially speculations)

Mateo
2007-05-07, 10:17 PM
The standard config at EWR is to land on the outer (4R/22L) and depart the inner (4L/22R), with RJs thrown in on either 11 or 29 as the winds dictate. I don't know if I've ever seen or heard of simutaneous arrivals on the parallels (which are fairly close together, so it's visuals only).

Tom_Turner
2007-05-08, 12:03 AM
I don't have any illusions regarding the motives of "EyeWitness News" mind you....

But these three controllers are have put their names out there.

Any speculation on their motives?

Just curious...

PHL Approach
2007-05-08, 01:37 AM
The standard config at EWR is to land on the outer (4R/22L) and depart the inner (4L/22R), with RJs thrown in on either 11 or 29 as the winds dictate. I don't know if I've ever seen or heard of simutaneous arrivals on the parallels (which are fairly close together, so it's visuals only).

Yea, There is no operation for simultaneous approaches. It would be just way to much for one local controller to handle that.

FlyingColors
2007-05-08, 01:28 PM

I have seen it, not often at all.

adam613
2007-05-08, 03:12 PM

I'm not sure if EWR allows simultaneous approaches to the parallel runways, but even if they did, the problem here is being caused by simultaneous operations on the INTERSECTING runways.

stuart schechter
2007-05-08, 08:50 PM
Well the Rule is (if I remember it)if the Runways are closer than 2500' centerline to centerline, they are treated like one runway. Of course you can have a plane holding on one and landing on the other but in case of a missed approach, they would have a lot of work on their hands.