PDA

View Full Version : T5 Flight wing moves at JFk

bluejuice
2007-05-02, 10:24 AM
The remaining piece of the flight wing from the original TWA terminal was moved yesterday to make way for the continuing construction at our new home. The wing was placed on dollies and began its move early in the AM. By the end of summer it should be in place at the end of our terminal overlooking the field

T-Bird76
2007-05-02, 10:40 AM
Can elaborate on this a bit? What flight wing? Are you referring to the airside gates that were part of the boarding area that were close to T4? I know the larger airside boarding area was taken down or are you talking about the white tubes? If it is the gate area what is jetBlue doing with it? Keeping as part of the history of T5? Will they're be gates on it or is it just going to be used as waiting area so to speak? I’m very interested as I had no idea any part of the airside gates were being saved.

Jonesbeach
2007-05-02, 12:04 PM
If I remember correctly, they are moving it to the end of terminal closest to T4. And I think they are putting some historical stuff in there. Unfortunately, it's all the way at the end of the concourse and you have to be ticketed to get to it.

bluejuice
2007-05-02, 12:43 PM
The final location for this piece will be right out by Taxiway alpha. and be used as an observation area. Although you will have to go thru security it will be a great viewing area as it will be overlooking 22 R and 31 and taxiway Alpha. I will try to post a picture later when I get home of the piece on dollies

T-Bird76
2007-05-02, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the infor guys that is certainly wonderful news to hear. I really do like the way jetBlue is saving the history of TWA at JFK. They've done more to honor the TWA name then American has.

bluejuice
2007-05-03, 03:29 PM
ok here is a picture of it before the move. I should have some more in a couple of days...
http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k312/shepmp/twa_terminal_trumpet.jpg[/img]

T-Bird76
2007-05-03, 03:32 PM
I've stood at those windows many times before, wonderful to see this being saved. :D

stuart schechter
2007-05-03, 07:34 PM
Great piece or architectural work! Can't wait to be standing in there again!

T-Bird76
2007-05-05, 10:16 PM
Here it is in place, its going to be an observation lounge for waiting passengers. its in a perfect spot to. You can nail some nice shots from inside in the afternoon.

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/T5_JFK.jpg

bluejuice
2007-06-14, 08:03 PM
Ok everybody especially all you TWA fans get your DVR going as the move of this piece will be on MEGA Movers in the next week or so. Ill fill you in when I get the details

bluejuice
2007-06-22, 07:35 PM
OK here is the info June 28 on the History channels Mega Movers they will show how the piece was moved to its present location