PDA

View Full Version : 20/20 vision +airline pilot

madcatimages
2007-04-11, 11:31 AM
Hello all!
I was wondering if I need to have 20/20 vision in order to be an airline pilot? My eye docter tells me that only fighter pilots need 20/20.
My left is not 20/20. (But it is close) If I can use both eyes I can see 20/20 no problem.

Mellyrose
2007-04-11, 11:40 AM
I'm pretty sure that this rule only applies to fighter pilots and in the military...but even there, they'll accept you after Lasik surgery.

njgtr82
2007-04-11, 11:52 AM
Well I believe your vision has to be correctable to 20/20, thats the rule for air traffic controllers as well.

hiss srq
2007-04-11, 12:10 PM
You are correct that civillian pilots are not required to have 20/20 but correctable. The US Mil. is even fairly leinant these days compared to decades past.

moose135
2007-04-11, 12:11 PM
Individual airlines may have more stringent standards, but from the FAA medical standards (in part):

Eye standards for a second-class airman medical certificate are:

(a) Distant visual acuity of 20/20 or better in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses. If corrective lenses (spectacles or contact lenses) are necessary for 20/20 vision, the person may be eligible only on the condition that corrective lenses are worn while exercising the privileges of an airman certificate.

(b) Near vision of 20/40 or better, Snellen equivalent, at 16 inches in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses. If age 50 or older, near vision of 20/40 or better, Snellen equivalent, at both 16 inches and 32 inches in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses.

Eye standards for a first-class airman medical certificate are:

(a) Distant visual acuity of 20/20 or better in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses. If corrective lenses (spectacles or contact lenses) are necessary for 20/20 vision, the person may be eligible only on the condition that corrective lenses are worn while exercising the privileges of an airman certificate.

(b) Near vision of 20/40 or better, Snellen equivalent, at 16 inches in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses. If age 50 or older, near vision of 20/40 or better, Snellen equivalent, at both 16 inches and 32 inches in each eye separately, with or without corrective lenses.

The full requirements for an FAA Medical can be found at http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/te ... ain_02.tpl (http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/text-idx?c=ecfr&sid=d918e2b1dc7b5486e62d5aca5b6b0c69&tpl=/ecfrbrowse/Title14/14cfr67_main_02.tpl)

As to Lasik surgery, from the FAA Medical FAQ page:

Is a pilot required to report to the FAA that he or she has undergone LASIK or other laser eye surgery to correct vision?
LASIK and other forms of vision corrective surgery have potentially adverse effects that could be incompatible with flying duties. These include:

* Corneal scarring or opacities;
* Worsening or variability of vision;
* Night-glare; and
* Haziness of vision.

The FAA expects that a pilot will not resume piloting aircraft until his or her own treating health care professional determines:

* The post operative condition has stabilized;
* There have been no significant adverse effects or complications; and
* The person meets the appropriate FAA vision standards.

If these determinations are favorable and if otherwise qualified, the pilot may immediately resume piloting but must ensure that:

* The treating health care professional documents his or her determinations in the pilot's health care treatment record;
* A copy of that record is immediately forwarded to the Aerospace Medical Certification Division in Oklahoma City; and
* A personal copy is retained.

The airman may continue flight duties unless informed otherwise by the FAA or another disqualifying condition occurs.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-04-11, 01:03 PM
Yea I don't even have 20/20 vision... I have 20/20 in one eye and 20/25 in the other, but I am still Pilot Qualified in the military. I'm pretty sure the standards are the same regardless of what airframe is flown; at least at the onset of pilot training and all...

As long as your vision is correctable to 20/20, at least in the military, and isn't worse than something like 20/50 uncorrected you can fly.

And you cannot get LASIK in the military. You can get the PRK surgery, which is a little more intensive and has a longer "recovery" period. LASIK automatically disqualifies you from flying, and I think it may just in fact make you ineligible to serve in any type of capacity in the military... (although not sure on that one)

njgtr82
2007-04-11, 01:23 PM
And you cannot get LASIK in the military. You can get the PRK surgery, which is a little more intensive and has a longer "recovery" period. LASIK automatically disqualifies you from flying, and I think it may just in fact make you ineligible to serve in any type of capacity in the military... (although not sure on that one)

This actually changed. Even military ATC guys are getting the LASIK now. I tried to, but had a year and a half left on my contract at the time so they told me I would have to reenlist to get it done. No thanks.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-04-11, 03:12 PM
Ah ok, didn't know that... What I heard was that the flap they cut in the LASIK procedure can come up if you get stuff in there (like sand etc..) or more importantly in chemical attacks, which is why it wasn't being allowed.

I know it's still not allowed for aircrew, but I guess for most other non-rated career fields it is. That's great news, since LASIK is a much easier procedure than PRK!

madcatimages
2007-04-11, 03:27 PM
Thanks everybody! I already had lasik eye surgery, on my left eye, which was the "bad" one. Its is still slightly soft,blurry, but it is extremly hard to tell, I will talk to my eye doc. again to get the facts, but I know that my eye is very close to being 20/20.

Mellyrose
2007-04-11, 05:41 PM
Ah ok, didn't know that... What I heard was that the flap they cut in the LASIK procedure can come up if you get stuff in there (like sand etc..) or more importantly in chemical attacks, which is why it wasn't being allowed.

I know it's still not allowed for aircrew, but I guess for most other non-rated career fields it is. That's great news, since LASIK is a much easier procedure than PRK!

I meant to write about this....Airborne soldiers are not allowed to have that sort of "flap" surgery, because of the risk of it opening up (YUCK) when they jump out of planes.

Mateo
2007-04-13, 09:55 PM
And, just to bring this back to the airline pilot bit, you need the first-class medical (valid for six months) in order to be an ATP, and serve as the pilot in command of a flight carrying commercial passengers. If you're not the PIC, you need a Commercial ticket, which requires the second-class medical (valid one year).

mirrodie
2007-04-14, 12:04 AM
The military is actually providing refractive surgery to its members.

This includes both LASIK and PRK.

The Navy has some great data from the various lasers used for the procedures.

Airline requirements are much less strict than the military.

Not sure I get why the airbornes are not allowed to have flap procedures. They should be jumping with goggles, so flap complications would seem irrelevant.

Madcat, your doc must hav been giving you the military measures. You should be fine for line flying :)

USAF Pilot 07
2007-04-14, 12:28 AM
I think the Navy and the Army are the only branches to use LASIK. As far as I know the Air Force does not. This could have changed recently, but I believe everything in the AF is still PRK.

mirrodie
2007-04-14, 12:47 AM
Honestly, while LASIK is still the most popular, I actually like PRK a bit more myself. It has less risk of complications (y simply avoiding a flap)but a bit longer in the healing phase. Great end results!

stuart schechter
2007-04-14, 11:12 AM
Does one hold better than the other? My father's LASIK has started to VERY slightly blur and his eyes always dry out.