PDA

View Full Version : SWF Spotting Locations

Iberia A340-600
2007-03-22, 07:20 PM
I figured since people have been showing in interest in spotting at SWF that I would post a short thread with descriptions of the main spots I use:

I use four main spots at SWF for taking pictures. The two main spots are what I will describe to since the other two are for taking photos of the VIP aircraft. Come VIP week if you would like to know about the spots let me know. Below are two photos that have been taken from each location with a description of how to get there:

Spot #1

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p148/JanuarySWF/airtran2.jpg

This spot is located next to the runway and is good for arrivals and departures. Depending on how heavy the aircraft are they should rotate right in front of you or before. The C-5's usually rotate slightly after. To reach this spot enter the airport and follow the main road all the way till the end until it reaches a hill where you can either go right or left. Take a left and go down to road until you reach the end. You should be at a field of grass to your right with a few concrete blocks scattered around. I usually stand on one of the blocks. If you continue walking past the spot along the fence you will find it will take you on a hike around the airport with some points which over look the runway.

Spot #2

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o282/JetBlueSWF/jetbluewatercannon5.jpg

This spot is good for getting shots of aircraft coming into the terminal. You need to have a lens that fits through a fence to catch the aircraft. The spot is a long-term parking lot located right next to the terminal. I suggest parking else where and then walk in. The spot is easy to find as it is located to the right of the terminal. You can also view aircraft on the VIP ramps from this spot.

Hope these helped and let me know if you need more detail!

Winglets747
2007-03-22, 07:26 PM
Nice info. Thanks, Gordon.

Could you possibly include how much lens power (mm) you need for those two spots?

stuart schechter
2007-03-22, 08:54 PM
Looks like the first one,you don't need any,but I would like to know about the second one too.

Iberia A340-600
2007-03-22, 09:07 PM
For the first spot if your shooting an A320 or 717 you need at least 200mm if you want to fit the whole aircraft in the frame. I believe my 717 shot was taken with 300mm. For a C-5 you'd probably need to be using 300mm.

For the second spot anywhere from 80 to 200mm works good. 300mm and 400mm is too close. However for the VIP aircraft you can view from there a 300mm and 400mm would be good.

PhilDernerJr
2007-03-22, 09:30 PM
Great info Gordon! Thanks!

stuart schechter
2007-03-22, 09:42 PM
Time to upgrade from even these simple shots, my P&S won't handle. 7.3-29.7mm

SmAlbany
2007-03-25, 06:40 AM
Time to upgrade from even these simple shots, my P&S won't handle. 7.3-29.7mm

Not that it's ever a bad time to upgrade ...

but you need to compare your P&S lens in 35mm equivalent terms. Since the sensor is smaller than a piece of film, your 7.3-29.7 is probably more like 30-120 in 35mm camera equivalent terms.

If you look up your camera on http://www.dpreview.com they usually give this information on the spec page.

mncountryboyny55906
2007-04-06, 03:15 PM
Great info. with great spots, I hate to rely on my connections at the airport, but do the police usually stop you down there? Are regular people alowed down there?

~Anthony

Iberia A340-600
2007-04-06, 04:01 PM
Great info. with great spots, I hate to rely on my connections at the airport, but do the police usually stop you down there? Are regular people alowed down there?

~Anthony

I've never been stopped by police at the airport, only by airport security when I was standing right in front of the guard station.

I'm not quiet sure what you mean by "Are regular people allowed down there?"

stuart schechter
2007-04-07, 11:05 AM
35-140MM for my P&S. But the quality just doesn"t come out.

SmAlbany
2007-04-18, 06:14 AM
Well, I had a chance to stop by SWF Monday. Unfortunately the weather was still in major low pressure mode - I left the camera in the car. I went to your spot with the concrete monoliths. I didn't get up on them. Can you get taxiing aircraft from there? From the road you are too low. The only traffic I saw was a G-4 and I could only see the tail and the top half of the fuselage as it taxied by.

I didn't try walking along the fence but it looks like there is a little hill up a bit. Do get a view of the runway from the hill?

Also, I noticed that there appears to be road construction on the property. Office park maybe? Maybe in the future there will be new spots appearing for you.

Don't when I'll have a chance to stop by again - but thanks for the spots!

Dan