PDA

View Full Version : 500 Members

PhilDernerJr
2007-03-21, 11:20 PM
Minutes ago, two new members, Woz and engine46, were the 500th and 501st people to join our website.

Since it's inception in April of 2004, and the addition of the forums a year later in '05, my goal and that of the staff was to create a place for people inside and outside of this city to enjoy what New York has to offer the world of aviation.

We've found great success as a community here. In fact, this site has grown far beyond the "NYC" domain, but is now a place where the world can discuss anything aviation related, far beyond that of the five boroughs. Growth was natural, brought upon by natural demand for spotter resources and organization. There are now many "local" aviation sites, and none have come close to the attention that this group has gotten.

This is not to pat myself on the back, because all of this is due solely to the people that participate here. New York was at the center of a great event the other day with the A380 arrival, and for me, witnessing history took a far second place to seeing so many other people get to enjoy it.

That happened because dedicated people gathered information and chose to share it with friends here. Notice that the site in itself had done zero reporting or planning for the event, yet traffic was sky high, because literally thousands knew they could rely on what the NYCAviation members had to share about the event here on the boards.

Thank you all for coming here and spending your time with myself and others who share our passion. I want you all to be proud, as I am.

Here's to the next 500!

nwafan20
2007-03-21, 11:40 PM
Congrats NYCA! I am pretty new here, not one of the oldies like Phil or the others, but I have seen this site grow so much in the short time I have been here it astonished me.

Congrats to everyone, especially the ones who made it all happen, most importantly Phil. Without him we would all just be a bunch of plane freaks with no place to communicate :)

So I hearby propose a toast, to Phil and the rest of the NYCA staff for making everything on this site possible! They have devoted so much of their time and effort to this site, all for us.

I really cannot express my thanks to the NYCA staff and all NYCA members for their work and hospitality. At first I was very concerned about posting on a site for the NYC area since I am not from NYC, but I was welcomed with open arms.

Thanks for everything everybody!

stuart schechter
2007-03-21, 11:54 PM
Sweet! We all made it happen! But Phil, you are the brains behind this! Great job!

Nonstop2AUH
2007-03-22, 02:51 AM
Congrats Phil, that's really cool. I want to thank you personally here for creating this site. While many here work at one of the airports or have some other industry involvement, or are into the photography side of things, I'm just a New Yorker who has a lifelong interest in aviation that I always felt was a bit out of place in NYC until I found this site. To some extent, being an aviation enthusiast in Manhattan is a bit like being an opera fan in Oklahoma or something, people think you are a bit strange and possibly even suspicious. I certainly don't get to talk about my interest much with people I know, because they simply don't care. So thanks for providing this outlet for news and discussion, on behalf of those of us who have no one else to talk to!

RDU-JFK
2007-03-22, 08:32 AM
Agree, congrats. I must admit, I am not a photographer. I joined this site after I stopped receiving Phil's monthly aviation e-mail newsletter (forgot the name), and I have used it to talk about NYC and other aviation topics, but I also look at and enjoy the photos y'all take. Even though I have never met any of you since I don't take pictures, I feel that we are all still good friends, even though we might not live in the same area or have even met. People like myself who aren't photographers just just plain old aviation enthusiasts love the site.

Keep up the good work, Phil, and thanks.

Matt
(aka RDU-JFK)

MarkLawrence
2007-03-22, 10:04 AM
I also agree - congrats to Phil and all that make this site possible! I'm also one of the original Aereola (sp I think) Aviation newsletter people and was very happy to find this site when the newsletter stopped. It's got me to NY once already and another trip soon. While I've not met a great deal of the people physically (and I hope to meet more when I get there in May), it is great to share a hobby with some very well knowledged people.

Long may the site prosper - and of course the new site grow!

Greeney
2007-03-22, 10:11 AM
Phil, congrats on reaching a true milestone. The work you guys put into the site is amazing, and without NYCA my aviation photography would never have gotten to where it is today, so thanks again!

For another 500!!!
Jordan

JRadier
2007-03-22, 05:13 PM
Congratulations to you all guys and girls! It was great meeting some of you in 2005 (long time ago) and I will be back (In NYC end of April, but I think I'll stick to the city) I hope this year to get some more shots.

Greetings from the other side of the Atlantic,

Jurgen

Midnight Mike
2007-03-22, 09:52 PM
Phil

Congrats on reaching the 500 member milestone, I am proud to be part of the NYC family!

I too was a member of that newsletter & joined the website when I found out about it.....

Woz
2007-03-22, 11:15 PM
Phil,

Congratulations to you and all the people who make this site happen. I’m honored to be your 500th member!

I stumbled onto your site during all the excitement of the A380 visit to JFK. WOW… have I missed a lot of great information and photos of aviation around NYC the past 12 years.

I’ll be a daily visitor from now on and hope to contribute in the near future.

All the best!

USAF Pilot 07
2007-03-23, 12:21 AM
Wow, I can't believe it's been 3 years since the site's been open, and 2 years on the forums already! Time sure does fly!

PhilDernerJr
2007-03-23, 08:40 AM
Thanks Woz! Welcoem to the site!