PDA

View Full Version : LGA tower breaking ground?

mirrodie
2007-02-28, 10:14 AM
Did I hear correctly this morning that they are breaking ground for the new LGA tower?

Matt Molnar
2007-02-28, 11:32 AM
I can't find anything about it online but it's possible.

cancidas
2007-02-28, 02:42 PM
i think the actual ground breaking happenend a while ago. it has been at least a month since i last passed through there and was able to look down on the constructions site. back then it looked like excavation had begun.

RDU-JFK
2007-02-28, 03:02 PM
Where exactly is the construction taking place?

RDU-JFK
2007-02-28, 03:52 PM
http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyo ... ?track=rss (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/ny-nylga0301,0,18440.story?track=rss)

emshighway
2007-02-28, 07:34 PM
It was 10:30 but over at the MAT. They made a box and filled it with dirt for the ceremony. So they broke ground 2 miles from where the tower will be.

Nonstop2AUH
2007-02-28, 07:39 PM
I wouldn't call the old tower an eyesore as Mr. Vallone did, it's a landmark from the dawn of the jet age but is probably just way out of date for today's needs. Are they going to demolish it or any chance we can convince them to make an observation deck in there?

hiss srq
2007-02-28, 07:40 PM
I wish they would keep it around. It looks like instead of planes I will be shooting LGA tower for now on at work. I think that as far as controllers go LGA's tower is a symbol of the best of the best in my opinion. That airport has to be tough to work.

cancidas
2007-02-28, 08:57 PM
hiss, time to take a truck and drive over there. the current tower is definately NOT an eyesore, but having been in there i can say that it is outdated and cramped. the equipment is old, but the vantage point is great. i'd keep it in place as it's a landmark and charge visitor access. :P

the new tower will be built by the parking garage, between the down ramp from the departures level and the garage itself. if you drive throught there you'll see the area is fenced off and filled with construction equipment. over by the MAT they're building a new police and fire station for emergency equipment. the current building had to be renovated when they bought new fire equipment and they are still forced to house much of thier police vehicles outdoors on the MAT's ramp. this firehouse will have better access to 4/22. they're also in the process of building a new entrance to the employee parking lot. i only wish that they rebuilt the roads in and around the airport. they SUCK!

emshighway
2007-02-28, 11:00 PM
i only wish that they rebuilt the roads in and around the airport. they SUCK!

The cars all lean from all the left turns we make going around the airport...

Matt Molnar
2007-03-01, 12:14 AM
i'd keep it in place as it's a landmark and charge visitor access. :P
An effort was made to make that happen. The FAA said no, the old tower will be in the new tower's line of sight, so it has to be torn down. :(

Nonstop2AUH
2007-03-01, 04:45 AM
That's a shame, it's such an icon and would make such a great observation deck, espresso bar, whatever. So will there just be nothing left in the space it now occupies?

cancidas
2007-03-01, 01:45 PM
damn... that really sucks.