PDA

View Full Version : JFK-EZE, a trip never happened

JZ1
2007-02-17, 12:51 AM
Hi, now I am back at my home again, fuming about the cancelled trip and terrible treatment from AA, all due to canclled AA flight last night.

We planned for an extensive trip in South America. Yesterday was the big day and we were supposed to be on AA 955 JFK-EZE. The flight was off to a late start, instead of the scheduled 22:10 departure, we didn't board until after midnight and didn't push back until close to 1 am. Given the harsh weather and all the horror stories the day before at JFK, and the fact that we had about 70 standby passengers for our flight, we felt lucky that at least we were now on the way. The plane was 100% full with at least 30-40 young children on board. I commented that it's almost like a flight to MCO.

A few minutes after the taxi, we stopped and the enginer turned off. Then came the announcement that the generator in the right engine was broken. They were calling maintenance to come and re-set it on the spot, if it didn't work, they would get back to the gate and try from there. Of course the reset ddin't work and we returned to the gate; and of course the next announcement was that they couldn't fix it and we had to switch plane.

So at around 2 am we all matched off the plane, with several kids screaming. Then it became clear that if we didn't make into the plane parked next door, load all the catering and luggage, all in the next 35 minutes, the flight crew would became illegal to fly the 10 hour trip to EZE. There were a few attempts to board the passengers. In fact, the first class passengers were boarded. But finally they announced that the flight was canclled.

There were 3 agents there to help the over 300 passengers. They made a few general announcemnets and handed out the AA 800 number. Obviously, they were simply asking the passengers to fend for themselves. People were very tired and angry. One flight attendant did make the effort to calm the people by bring out some juice and water and serve the passengers. But it simply was too little to mean anything.

We had a tight connection from EZE to USH the next day; and a cruise from there. The word-of-the-mouth was that they only had available seat to accommodate us from Feb 21 onwards. We knew we wouldn't make the trip. The fact that we have bought travel insurance, and we are entitled to full refund under this kind of situation, made us decide to cancl the trip and opt for full refund from AA.

So we went to the gate area to pick up our luggage. At the same time they annouced the cancellation, they told us to find the luggage at luggage area B1. We waited and waited. Every so often, they would make announcement that the luggage would appear in the next 10-20 minute; but it never materialized. People got very angry and confronted the service agent. They started calling him liar and demanded to see him manager. But it didn't help the situation. Time went by and by 6 am we decided to head home first and come back later for the luggage.

My wife and I returned around 11 to find luggages with EZE tag lying around the B1 area. We simply picked our luggage and walked away. During the whole time nobody came to check on us. Anyone can come and just walk away with anything they want to take. It's very scary situation.

At the end, it's a big disappointment. I was hoping to post some Argentine avaiation photos here when I return from the trip. I guess we will try it again next year. For now, it remains an unfulfilled dream.

hiss srq
2007-02-17, 01:04 AM
Unfortuneately when it comes to issues like that the agents hands are tied. Not all passengers are bad, most are quite the opposite actually. The fact of the matter is we have certain guidelines to follow when we do things and it looks like the agents did the best they could with what they had. Unfortuneate for the pax that is not much. We feel for people but we are not willing to loose our jobs over a passenger either. I hope in future you have a better experince. I have heard alot of horror stories from AA recently. All and all I am sorry your trip failed to happen. Better luck in the future headding down.

Matt Molnar
2007-02-17, 01:30 AM
Sorry to hear that, JZ1, that really sucks. Good example of why you should get travel insurance for long expensive trips.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine flew to EZE on AA 955 last week.

mirrodie
2007-02-17, 12:21 PM
Hi, now I am back at my home again, fuming about the cancelled trip and terrible treatment from AA, all due to canclled AA flight last night....
...There were 3 agents there to help the over 300 passengers. They made a few general announcemnets and handed out the AA 800 number. Obviously, they were simply asking the passengers to fend for themselves. People were very tired and angry. One flight attendant did make the effort to calm the people by bring out some juice and water and serve the passengers. But it simply was too little to mean anything....
...Anyone can come and just walk away with anything they want to take. It's very scary situation

I am trying to see how you were terribly treated by the airline.

A) The delays from weather are well-known and understandable.

B) From what I read on a flyertalk.com post, the equipment was subbed from a 777 to 767, so the intent to ameliorate the situation was clear.

C) There were 3 agents handling 300 passengers. If 7 AAgents were doing hte same task, I am sure the complaint would not change. That is human nature.

D) Their advice for pax to call the reservations number was a smart one. The more time wasted on line, waiting for those 3 AAgents, the smaller chance of possible outcomes.

E) re: the FA with the juice and water, Kudos to her! But it's sad that you can't even see the smallest effort by individual to help out the situation. What would have been enough to "mean" something for you?

F) Anyone can walk away with your luggage. Happens in every airport, all the time. Not sure how this situation was different.

If you were in a position to orchestrate changes, how would have handled things differently?
Good thing you had the travel insurance though.