PDA

View Full Version : Brand new to spotting

mriggers99
2007-01-25, 02:08 PM
I'm completely new to this stuff. I want to go spotting at JFK this weekend. Ive checked the maps on the site. Anybody have any tips where a newbie should start. Just looking to do some visual spotting, not taking photos. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Also is there a site where I can get a schedule of flights for JFK this Sunday.

Again try to give me tips in basic English ...I'm very new to all of this.

THANKS GUYS!![/b]

Mellyrose
2007-01-25, 02:24 PM
First off, welcome to the site!

For "schedules", check out arrivals on: http://www.flytecomm.com

Go to "Track a Flight" and then drop down the menu for arrival airport to "New York (Kennedy), NY". You can leave the departure airport blank to get a list of every arriving flight on that day.

For just watching, I'd start somewhere like Planeview Park (Point A on the map - runway 4 arrivals/departures in the distance) or McNeil Park (point D on the map - runway 22 arrivals/31 departures in the distance) for LGA. They are the most public friendly and have benches/grass. Bundle up though!

mriggers99
2007-01-30, 10:41 AM
Well I went out to the Howard Beach spot at JFK on Saturday and to Planeview Park on Sunday. Had a great time.....Im definitely hooked now. I took my (now Pathetic) sony point and shoot ...and was basically disgusted with the results after seeing photos on Airliners.net etc. I guess my next question is whether anybody has any tips on a starter camera. I noticed in your spotting maps you guys mention alot of the sites need up to 400mm lenses...should I start there? Again all your help is greatly appreciated...just really excited about getting into this. Thanks

Also I read an article on this camera...the lens that comes with it is up to 300mm...let me know what you think and if I should start in that area.

T-Bird76
2007-01-30, 10:51 AM
Well I went out to the Howard Beach spot at JFK on Saturday and to Planeview Park on Sunday. Had a great time.....Im definitely hooked now. I took my (now Pathetic) sony point and shoot ...and was basically disgusted with the results after seeing photos on Airliners.net etc. I guess my next question is whether anybody has any tips on a starter camera. I noticed in your spotting maps you guys mention alot of the sites need up to 400mm lenses...should I start there? Again all your help is greatly appreciated...just really excited about getting into this. Thanks

Also I read an article on this camera...the lens that comes with it is up to 300mm...let me know what you think and if I should start in that area.

I guess the question you need to ask yourself is, do you want and can you afford to spend the money on a DSLR that will allow you to use a 400mm? A good "starter" DSLR and I hesitate to call it starter because of the amazing results you get from it but the Canon Rebel xti is less then 1000 and produces some great results. Now that's just the camera next you need is a good lens. Two suggestions, one go with Canon's EF 70-300mm or if you can swing it the 100-400mm L lens. The price of the 70-300mm is about 500 I think, the 100-400mm is 1400, so you’re talking a big difference here.

If your looking to spend less look at a hybrid DSLR. These are basically point and shoot cameras with advanced features and a powerful zoom lens that may accept an extender to further increase the power of the zoom. Panasonic has a few out that are pretty dam good, so does Canon. The cost for these are generally allot less the DSLRs.

mriggers99
2007-01-30, 10:57 AM
Looks like I have my research work cut out for me...... I will look into both types ..and hopefully Im out there getting good shots soon. Ill probably have a million more questions in the future..Thanks for your help. Also does anyone know about the BA strike did they settle that garbage yet..suppposed to fly JFK to LHR in March.

T-Bird76
2007-01-30, 11:59 AM
Looks like I have my research work cut out for me...... I will look into both types ..and hopefully Im out there getting good shots soon. Ill probably have a million more questions in the future..Thanks for your help. Also does anyone know about the BA strike did they settle that garbage yet..suppposed to fly JFK to LHR in March.

Yes they did and you should fly Virgin Atlantic anyway, lol

mriggers99
2007-01-30, 03:53 PM
I wanted to try out the economy premium service......when I did some web research every blog i hit said that BA's premium service was better.than virgins..so thats why I went with them....both were giving the same price..1300 for 2 RT ...Oh well Ill try Virgin next time. Has anyone flown premium ..whats your take on it?

nwafan20
2007-01-30, 08:41 PM
I hope they have it resolved! BA canceled their DTW flights for this week and next because of the strike!

T-Bird76
2007-01-30, 08:43 PM
I hope they have it resolved! BA canceled their DTW flights for this week and next because of the strike!

They did resolve it.

nwafan20
2007-01-30, 08:45 PM
Ok, thanks. Glad to hear it!

mriggers99
2007-01-31, 11:20 AM
So what should I be looking at to get web site quality photos.....Telephoto zoom, telephoto, or super telephoto?

SmAlbany
2007-01-31, 11:36 AM
So what should I be looking at to get web site quality photos.....Telephoto zoom, telephoto, or super telephoto?

Those terms can be subjective. I think that most people prefer a zoom to a prime lense since most of our subjects are moving towards or away from us.

If you want to compare apples and apples look for the focal length of the lense (ie the 300mm or 400mm mentioned earlier). If you are looking at a non-DSLR camera, they usually give a 35mm camera equivalent focal length of the lense on sites such as dpreview.com. I would recommend that site as a good starting place to see reviews of the various cameras.

I don't regularly shoot in NYC, but I find that a 70-200 suits my needs very well up here in Albany. I also have a 1.4X teleconverter if I need a little more reach.

If your goal is to consistently get pictures on jetphotos or airliners.net, you really need to invest in the DSLR. You may be able to occaisionally get a shot on with a lesser camera, but it takes perfect lighting conditions and perfect photo composition to get in.

Good luck,
Dan

T-Bird76
2007-01-31, 11:36 AM

Well are you looking at a lens or a hybrid digital? Narrow your search to the kind of camera you want then look at the lens. As for a DSLR lens the zoom range from 70 to 300 and of course 400.

mriggers99
2007-01-31, 11:48 AM
Well, yesterday I went and took a look at the Canon XTi like you recommended. I liked it alot and its within a price range I can handle. Now as far as the lens. Am I looking at just canon lens or are there other third party lens that I can buy for it?

T-Bird76
2007-01-31, 12:15 PM
Well I'd prob go with the Canon 70-300 with IS. You can go for a cheaper lens but I'd just save that money and get the 70-300 IS. I thinks its about 500. If you can afford to drop the 1400 for the 100-400 L lens then go for it but the 70-300 is a great lens for the money. Also get it from B and H, best prices and they are very reliable. DO NOT GET IT FROM BEST BUY OR CIRCUIT CITY!