PDA

View Full Version : US Airways - Delta Question

Ari707
2007-01-23, 02:13 PM
If by some slim chance this merger goes through, who do you think would buy the Delta Shuttle?

PhilDernerJr
2007-01-23, 02:21 PM
Fares would go up because there'd only be one.

Someone else would pick it up eventually, though. My guess would be United.

nwafan20
2007-01-23, 06:34 PM
More likely it will be a NW-DL merger, DL wouldn't allow themselves to be bought by US Airways. They would do everything in their power to stop it.

T-Bird76
2007-01-23, 07:22 PM
Its very doubtful that if this does go through that anyone would want the shuttle routes. The shuttle routes are not the huge profit makers some people believe they are. First the shuttle routes see abominable aircraft utilization, second the sector costs and delays into and out of the three shuttle airports are the largest in the country, and lastly the traffic flows are highly fragmented throughout the day.

Untied has absolutely no reason to pick up the Shuttle routes, they have very little presence in the metro area so there would be very little to help them offset costs. The only two that might take a look at it would be CO and AA but the operating costs would still remain and the operation would have to be purchased on a turn key basis in order to keep the costs in line. More then likely if this does happen look to see those slots get bought by other airlines for other uses. The shuttle routes are nothing but pigs.

PhilDernerJr
2007-01-23, 07:32 PM
Untied has absolutely no reason to pick up the Shuttle routes, they have very little presence in the metro area so there would be very little to help them offset costs.

Very good point.

SWABoeing737
2007-01-23, 09:17 PM
More likely it will be a NW-DL merger,

I've yet to understand why you think Delta and Northwest would be any better together.

T-Bird76
2007-01-23, 09:20 PM
More likely it will be a NW-DL merger,

I've yet to understand why you think Delta and Northwest would be any better together.

There's less route overlap between the two airlines. I don't see any mergers taking place. The only thing NW and Delta have going for them is less overlap in the routes aside from that Air Zimbabwe is a more attractive merger partner.

nwafan20
2007-01-24, 10:49 PM
It's because DL will do ANYTHING to avoid being taken over by US.

Think about it, would you rather be bought up, or buy up an airline and keep your name and job? Delta has expressed serious interest in NW. I would hate the merger, not a big DL fan. But if DL were to merge, there is nearly no doubt it would be NW.

T-Bird76
2007-01-24, 11:11 PM
It's because DL will do ANYTHING to avoid being taken over by US.

Think about it, would you rather be bought up, or buy up an airline and keep your name and job? Delta has expressed serious interest in NW. I would hate the merger, not a big DL fan. But if DL were to merge, there is nearly no doubt it would be NW.

Guess what, ppl are going to lose their jobs if DL mergers with NW, only the NW ppl will suffer.

nwafan20
2007-01-25, 06:36 PM
IF they were to merge, I imagine it would sort of be a AA-TWA thing, TWA people get screwed (NW), while AA lives on (DL).