PDA

View Full Version : Airline Security 'EZ Pass' A Reality Now At JFK

Matt Molnar
2007-01-17, 02:15 AM
WCBSTV.com (http://wcbstv.com/topstories/local_story_016202212.html)

Airline Security 'EZ Pass' A Reality Now At JFK
'Clear System' In Orlando Already A Hit In NYC

Jan 16, 2007 9:20 pm US/Eastern

(CBS) NEW YORK Frequent fliers are jumping for joy these days. The ones lucky enough to travel through a certain terminal at Kennedy Airport, that is.

That's because JFK now has exclusive rights to an EZ Pass-style system through security at Terminal 7.

Katie DeGraff spent a good part of Tuesday going through the same old security drill -- inching along.

"You're at the airport, it's going to take two hours to get on the plane," DeGraff said.

Not if Steve Brill has anything to say about it.

Brill demonstrated his company's new Clear Registered Traveler System, which has been going strong in a pilot program at Orlando's airport with more than 30,000 users.

Using a card, Brill checked in at the security kiosk, and provided a retina scan or fingerprint.

"When it works well, it's like EZ Pass," Brill said.

"There could be a reduction in how long it takes you to go through the line of 15 to 45 percent. That has a multiplier effect on wait times."

"Clear" is privately funded, relying on an annual fee of $100 from each user. For some it is not worth it because they don't travel enough, but for frequent fliers, it's just the ticket.

"If it saves me 15 minutes each time, that adds up," said Reed Talada, a consultant from Seabright, N.J., who travels by air once a week.

Talada signed up Tuesday and will get his card in the mail after a government background check.

For now, the new service will follow the old rules regarding clothes. The jackets and coats come off, as do the shoes, but new technology has been installed and will be phased in so everything else can stay on.

The Transportation Safety Administration is expected to approve the shoe scan and other technology as soon as Clear service expands to airports in Indianapolis, San Jose and Cincinnati by the month.

Clear also expects to open another set of security kiosks at Kennedy's Terminal 1 in February.

By Dave Carlin, CBS 2 News

(© MMVII, CBS Broadcasting Inc. All Rights Reserved.)

PhilDernerJr
2007-01-17, 11:37 AM
I'm still not understanding this. Can anyone explain to me how they make sure that each person is trustworthy enough to let them stroll through security? Surely it's not just a background check, right?

Matt Molnar
2007-01-17, 11:57 AM
Surely anyone with one whole Benjamin must be a good natured chap, wouldn't you say? Good enough for me!

T-Bird76
2007-01-17, 12:59 PM
I'm still not understanding this. Can anyone explain to me how they make sure that each person is trustworthy enough to let them stroll through security? Surely it's not just a background check, right?

There are different levels of background checks and you don't just stroll through. The process puts you through a very in-depth background check, from criminal, employer, banking, addresses, names, and credit history. Also you are put through an iris scan to verify your identity. My company is signing us up for it in anticipation it will be rolled out to other terminals at JFK and soon LGA.

PhilDernerJr
2007-01-17, 01:04 PM
Honestly, I don't think ANY level of background check can make someoen free and clear thereafter. People can be recruited after the fact. Thigns can happen ina person's lives that amke them change their views and feelings and make them succe4ptable to a lot. Osama himself used to be an ally of ours.

moose135
2007-01-17, 01:18 PM
I was looking at their web site and don't understand what the point of all this is. From their "Questions" page, under "How do I use a Clear lane" after talking about showing your ID to their screener, scanning your "Clear" card, and your biometrics check, they say:

# A Clear attendant will direct you to the designated lane for security screening by Transportation Security Administration (TSA).
# During slow periods, TSA may utilize our designated lane for travelers who are not Clear members to maintain overall throughput in the screening area. Occasionally, you may be asked to wait behind a few travelers who have already entered the lane.
# Remove all metal objects from your pockets, and if you are traveling with a laptop, remove it from its case. TSA will instruct you to remove your shoes as necessary.
# In the designated lane, you will pass through a metal detector and have your carry-on bags x-rayed by TSA.

So you still have to go through screening & have your bags x-rayed. From the way I read this, it sounds like "Pay your $100 and go to the head of the line." Am I wrong?

PhilDernerJr
2007-01-17, 01:20 PM
It might be the same as going through the "crew" lane at security. Maybe it's the same amoutn of security without the long lines. That honestly does make a differnece....unless a lot of people pay for it...it will defeat the purpose.

T-Bird76
2007-01-17, 03:39 PM
The entire point of this system is to avoid the lines. You still have to take your shoes off, go through a metal detector, and send your bags through a scanner. Howerver you don't have to wait on a line of 50 people, that's the attraction to many frequent travelers. The program is years behind schedule being that only MCO is online with it.

Matt Molnar
2007-01-17, 07:54 PM
The program is years behind schedule being that only MCO is online with it.

Five years seems pretty fast for this kind of integration of private enterprise and government resources.

USAF Pilot 07
2007-01-17, 08:47 PM
So $100 to cut lines for a year? What kind of cut is the airport getting from this?

T-Bird76
2007-01-17, 10:02 PM
The program is years behind schedule being that only MCO is online with it.

Five years seems pretty fast for this kind of integration of private enterprise and government resources.

Matt the program was supposed to be rolled out two years ago to alot of other airports.

emshighway
2007-01-17, 10:21 PM
So you still have to go through screening & have your bags x-rayed. From the way I read this, it sounds like "Pay your $100 and go to the head of the line." Am I wrong?

Ding, Ding, we have a winner...

With exceptions.

There has to be an agreement to have a dedicated lane. I can tell you most FSDs don't want this. They are not going to staff a lane just for registered travelers when the other lanes are full. As stated when it is busy you will get on line just like everyone else.

You will still need to go through screening like everyone else. There is a shoe scanner which scans for explosives but not for metals. You will still need to take your shoes off (maybe only if they alarm).

Basically what the registered traveler program does is override the selectee process. By registering and going through the background check you avoid secondary screening, that is of course if you don't alarm.

LGA has expressed no interest in a registered traveler program.

PhilDernerJr
2007-01-17, 11:13 PM
After looking at the realistic implementation of this, I think this will fail.