PDA

View Full Version : TSA Awards Private Screening Contract to U.S. Helicopter and

emshighway
2007-01-04, 02:31 PM
WASHINGTON, Jan. 4 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) today announced the signing of a three-party contract with US Helicopter Corporation and McNeil Security Inc. under the agency's Screening Partnership Program (SPP) for the establishment of screening operations to support airport shuttle services at the East 34th Street Heliport in Manhattan.

"TSA remains committed to securing the airspace over New York City," said Douglas Hofsass, TSA's federal security director at LaGuardia Airport. "The new commercial helicopter service from the East 34th Street Heliport will fall under the same security regulations as all commercial flights in the United States. All passengers, carry-on baggage and checked luggage will be screened to TSA's standards for commercial aircraft operators. We look forward to working with US Helicopter and McNeil Security to ensure we continue providing the highest level of security for the traveling public."

In addition to LaGuardia, Hofsass' responsibilities include oversight of security operations at the East 34th Street and Downtown Manhattan heliports.

The SPP was designed to meet requirements established by the Aviation and Transportation Security Act of 2001 (ATSA). Under this program, airport operators can request that TSA replace its federal screening personnel with privately contracted security screeners working under federal oversight.

Under today's unique three-party contract, US Helicopter agreed to provide for and fund all screening personnel at the East 34th Street facility through a contract negotiated with McNeil Security. TSA will provide security oversight and certified screening equipment to ensure that passengers, their accessible property and checked baggage are thoroughly screened for explosives and other dangerous items prior to departure. TSA has enacted a Heliport Security Plan (HSP), which will ensure that the East 34th Street Heliport, like the Wall Street facility, adheres to all TSA regulatory requirements and applicable security directives.

Six airports currently participate in the SPP, including San Francisco International (Calif.), Kansas City International (Mo.), Greater Rochester International (N.Y.), Jackson Hole Airport (Wyo.), Tupelo Regional (Miss.) and Sioux Falls Regional Airport (S.D.). McNeil Security has served as the private contractor for security personnel and screening services at Greater Rochester International Airport since 2002.

Media Contact: Ann Davis

Cell: 617-733-8437

Matt Molnar
2007-01-04, 02:51 PM
So basically airport security is on its way back to private-sector operation?

T-Bird76
2007-01-04, 03:01 PM

No but it prob is much cheaper for the TSA to contract these small stations rather then employee full timers. My own personal opinion is security should go back to the private sector with the so call standards we have in place today. Make these companies accountable and if they fail they get fined. A private business IMO is more motivated to succeed then our gov't any day of the week.

Matt Molnar
2007-01-04, 03:42 PM
It definitely is cheaper, but SFO? Kansas City? Single flights at these airports handle more passengers than USH carries in a week. In almost all cases I agree that private business does a better job than gov't, but I don't think security/law enforcement is one of them. Even if the TSA regulates these companies better than the FAA did before 9/11, there is a real risk that they will award contracts to the lowest bidder who will hire the lowest paid/least qualified individuals to reap the most profit.

T-Bird76
2007-01-04, 03:45 PM
there is a real risk that they will award contracts to the lowest bidder who will hire the lowest paid/least qualified individuals

So basically what your saying is same people just different uniforms.

hiss srq
2007-01-04, 06:34 PM
I think that it is good to out source to an extent but lets not go back to the old ways though. Hopefully we will see quality work put out. My opinon though is that tere going to payt 775 an hour to people who barely speak english and cant tell the diffrence between and ounce and a gallon....

emshighway
2007-01-04, 09:07 PM

There was always a provision in the ATA for this.

there is a real risk that they will award contracts to the lowest bidder who will hire the lowest paid/least qualified individuals

Low blow!! :evil: The caliber of the screeners today is much better than pre 9-11 but you do get what you pay for :lol:

The big difference now is that the airlines don't control the checkpoints. Security is not overlooked for the $$. It is more cost effective for smaller airports to have contracted screening.

T-Bird76
2007-01-04, 10:14 PM

There was always a provision in the ATA for this.

Low blow!! :evil: The caliber of the screeners today is much better than pre 9-11 but you do get what you pay for :lol:

The big difference now is that the airlines don't control the checkpoints. Security is not overlooked for the $$. It is more cost effective for smaller airports to have contracted screening.

I know it was but hey its me... I had to take a cheap shot. :wink:

emshighway
2007-01-05, 02:55 PM
I know it was but hey its me... I had to take a cheap shot. :wink:

It was funny though.