PDA

View Full Version : Concorde G-BOAD, formerly by Intrepid, is moving this Friday

mirrodie
2006-12-21, 10:45 PM
from a post from our friends' site at concordesst.com

INTREPID’S CONCORDE TO MOVE FROM MANHATTAN’S PIER 86 TO AVIATOR SPORTS AND RECREATION AT FLOYD BENNETT FIELD IN BROOKLYN
The British Airways Concorde to Move Early Morning on Friday, December 22nd

The Intrepid Sea, Air & Space Museum’s Concorde, owned by British Airways, will be towed from Pier 86 (46th Street and 12th Avenue), Manhattan, to Aviator Sports and Recreation at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn, on Friday, December 22, beginning at 2:00 AM. Concorde is expected to arrive at Floyd Bennett Field at 7:00 AM on Friday morning. **6:30 AM PRESS CHECK-IN FOR ARRIVAL.**

Don Jon Towing will tow Concorde’s barge down the Hudson River, with Jamaica Bay being its final destination. After the water portion of its journey, the plane will be lifted near the seaplane ramp located close to the old Coast Guard Station of Floyd Bennett Field. Over the next several hours, it will be lifted onto a runway and towed about 3/4 of a mile to Aviator Sports and Recreation, its temporary home.

WHAT: Concorde towed to Aviator Sports and Recreation at Floyd Bennett Field in Brooklyn

WHEN: Concorde leaves Pier 86, Manhattan:
Friday, December 22, between 2:00 and 3:00 AM
Press Viewing Area – Pier 84, 12th Ave & 44th St. at Hudson River Park,
Route will pass under the Verrazano Bridge between 3:00 and 4:00 AM,
then pass under Gil Hodges/Marine Pkwy Bridge via Coney Island Channel between 4:30 and 6:00 AM

Concorde arrives in Brooklyn:
Friday, December 22, approximately 7:00 AM, Floyd Bennett Field, next to HANGAR B.
8:00 AM approaching high tide – cranes begin removal from barge
12:00 Noon – with Congressman Anthony Weiner and invited guests
12:15 PM - plane begins being towed on land to its temporary site
1:30 PM – plane reaches Aviator Sports & Recreation

Directions to Floyd Bennett Field: From Manhattan: Belt Parkway to Exit 11S, Flatbush Avenue South. Take Flatbush Avenue for 1.3 miles. The entrance to the field is on the left side at a traffic light. This light is just before the toll plaza for the Marine Parkway Bridge. After passing the guard booth, make your first left. You will see signs directing you to Aviator Sports & Recreation. Make the first right. There will be signs directing you to Hangar B. Take that road directly to Jamaica Bay -- about 3/4-mile.

mikephotos
2006-12-22, 02:27 PM
They were a little late removing it from the badge/ship but finally got the Concorde on solid ground once again. Last I checked (1/2 hour ago) it's still by the water and hasn't begun is journey across the field to Aviator yet. Here's two quick snaps, weather sucked big time.

http://www.aviationwire.net/anetforums/gboad_01.jpg

http://www.aviationwire.net/anetforums/gboad_02.jpg

Thought you'd get a kick out of this guy (Sam Chui?) :)

http://www.aviationwire.net/anetforums/gboad_03.jpg

Mike

Matt Molnar
2006-12-22, 04:20 PM
Great shots, Mike. I wish they had done it during the day, I wanted to get some shots of her going down the river.

mikephotos
2006-12-22, 04:53 PM
Thanks Gotham! Yeah, would have been nice to get more shots if it on the water.

Well, it's now over at the Aviator complex. I love the 'tug' they used :)

http://www.aviationwire.net/anetforums/gboad_04.jpg

From the other side:
http://www.aviationwire.net/anetforums/gboad_05.jpg

Mike

Mellyrose
2006-12-22, 04:59 PM
Wow! Great shots, Mike! :)

mirrodie
2006-12-22, 05:10 PM
WOW! GUess where I'm going Sunday. YAY!

pgengler
2006-12-22, 08:36 PM
I was out from 2 to about 3 this morning along the Hudson hoping to at least see it going by (since I certainly wasn't going to get any pictures of it at that time), but when 3am rolled around and there weren't any signs of anything moving on the Hudson, I decided to call it a night so that I could get some sleep & avoid freezing. Does anyone know what time they ended up leaving Pier 86?

(I really wish this had been a daylight move; I missed getting photos when they first brought it up since I didn't know how to use the camera I had, and I'd love to someday get a photo of it being floated on thr river. I guess I'll have to wait until the Intrepid comes back and they bring G-BOAD back over.)

Winglets747
2006-12-22, 09:22 PM
It's nice to see her on actual ground and not a barge.

Thanks for the photos!

-Will

Tom_Turner
2006-12-23, 09:30 AM
Great to see a "modern" airliner at Floyd Bennett.

Mike - Great Shots! even considering the weather.

Do you know what they mean by the old Seaplane ramp? Is it that area by the hangar with the old aircraft, or is it over by NYPD someplace (where the Coast Guard used to be) or someplace eles? I was never entirely clear on that.

Tom

mirrodie
2006-12-23, 01:00 PM
I have never been familiar with the complex there. Is there an aviation museum there? Or isnt there at least a hangar with older planes? I think I have seen it mentioned before, no?

Tom_Turner
2006-12-23, 01:24 PM
Hi Mario.

Yes, it is simply an old hangar with several aircraft. Usually they'll let you in on a Saturday. Go around the "back" of the hangar to get it - if they're there.

Considering there's not much more than a handful of examples, they are rather nice examples going by type. - though not in the best condition.

Tom

mikephotos
2006-12-23, 01:42 PM
Thanks everyone. Get out there before they put a fence around the thing, if they havent already.

Tom, it was offloaded right behind the hangar where the old planes are. Here's a map (excuse the wonderful boat/concorde drawing)

http://www.aviationwire.net/anetforums/floydbennett.jpg

Mike

mirrodie
2006-12-23, 02:02 PM
(excuse the wonderful boat/concorde drawing)

Mike

I think its a bloody damn good job! Not quite Impressionistic, but grand, IMHO ;)

Thanks for the map. What is the best way there off the Belt?

Also, are they going to keep it available as an exhibit, with fees to be paid? I was under the impression BA wanted AD in a spot where she could still be seen and could gain revenue.

mikephotos
2006-12-23, 02:48 PM
Hahaha, thanks. I'll have to reconsider my career and possibly venture into art :)

Directions are easy from the Belt. Coming from LI, just take exit 11S (Flatbush South towards the Rockaways). Before the toll, make a left at the light (DO NOT GO THRU THE TOLLS). There's a guard booth but you do not need to stop as it's never manned. Follow map below, it's easy.

It will be available to the public I'm just not sure if they are going to charge a fee or not. Knowing Aviators, it'll be expensive...most of their programs are.

http://www.aviationwire.net/anetforums/floydbennett2.jpg

Mike

Tom_Turner
2006-12-23, 03:03 PM
Thanks Mike! That makes sense.

You know there was going to be a small fly-in this fall, but the mounds of earth never did get moved off the end of the runway in time.. (maybe not still)... lets hope for next year.

Tom

mikephotos
2006-12-23, 08:41 PM
Bad news guys. The final resting spot at FBF is pretty horrible for photography. It's now fully fenced and close to the entrance of Aviators. Here are two quick night snaps.

http://www.aviationwire.net/anetforums/gboad_night01.jpg

http://www.aviationwire.net/anetforums/gboad_night02.jpg

Mike

Nonstop2AUH
2006-12-23, 08:51 PM
For those of us NYers who are without a vehicle, does anyone know if there is any way to get there on mass transit?

mikephotos
2006-12-23, 09:06 PM
There is a bus that runs down Flatbush Ave. Check the MTA site and look for a stop along Flatbush somewhere, I believe there are a few by FBF. You can then walk from there. A little bit of a hike but not that far. When do you plan to visit? If I'm available I'd be happy to pick you up somewhere close (on Flatbush) and drive you.

Mike

mirrodie
2006-12-24, 11:28 AM
Well, those last few pics that Mike posted are what I saw last night at 2230.

Regardless, I have to say. I never had thoughts either way of seeing her on the barge. But now that she is on land, for some reason, she just looked magnificient in the moonlight.

I told Mike, but how funny is this? I paid AD a holiday visit :lol: All she was missing was a wreath.

FlyingColors
2006-12-24, 02:30 PM
Were lucky to have her at all.

Lets not forget this country does not appreciate aircraft like the rest of the world.

Chances are good her days are numbered.

Matt Molnar
2006-12-24, 05:48 PM
Were lucky to have her at all.

Lets not forget this country does not appreciate aircraft like the rest of the world.

Chances are good her days are numbered.

I agree that we don't properly appreciate our aircraft, but I don't think G-BOAD is going anywhere. If nothing else, it is a marketing tool in British Airways' top U.S. market.

FlyingColors
2006-12-25, 11:02 PM
Thanks Mike.

Good pics.....and funny comment, lol!

Nonstop2AUH
2006-12-26, 02:21 AM
Mike thanks for the offer (and the pic). Is it me, or does she really look much more at home there than planted on the barge? Pity they can't get a real aviation museum going at Floyd Bennett...

As for relative appreciation of aviation vs. other countries, I was appalled to learn that in the UK some classic British airliners that had been on display were broken up not that long ago for lack of funding. Appreciation is important, but funding, particularly corporate funding, is probably the key to preserving at least larger aircraft.

cancidas
2006-12-26, 05:03 PM
i guess it's time to post these. they were taken the night concorde was switched from the barge that brought it from JFK to the one that it would be on display at the intrepid museum. i don't think that anyone got this close that night. the light was pretty ****ty and i only had a point-and-shoot digital camera but still better than nothing.

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o161/cancidas/IMG_1055.jpg

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o161/cancidas/IMG_1045.jpg

G-BOAD
2006-12-28, 12:32 AM
On my way to IAD we took off from 31L and we passed over it. I will post pics once I get back.

Matt Molnar
2006-12-28, 03:01 PM
If the Aviator complex takes off (yay for puns!), I can see them building a real museum there. I never knew they were building anything there until I started seeing ads for Aviator on buses a few months ago, but they seem to have some serious backing now...they have a promotional deal with MSG which will have Rangers and Knicks making appearances there, and there are now talks of bringing a Rangers minor league affiliate in to play there. It's still a big IF though. It's in the middle of nowhere and not easily accessible by public transportation. And even if they were to build something, the Concorde will be going back to the Intrepid regardless.

moose135
2006-12-28, 05:35 PM
Can the area really support another aviation museum at FBF? In addition to the obstacles Matt points out, we already have three in the area - the Intrepid (once renovations are completed) the Cradle of Aviation, and the American Airpower Museum. I think another one would further dilute the available tourist dollars and end up hurting them all.

cancidas
2006-12-28, 09:43 PM
if they're smart the museum they'll create at FBF will be unique to that airport and show the history of that airport itself... i'd love to tour the old terminal building and hangars even today. there has to be somethng they can do to make it stand out form all the others! let them showcase what part FBF has had in the aviation community even today. NYPD is there, USCG was there (i think.)

Tom_Turner
2006-12-31, 05:08 PM
The Coast Guard did base their helos there, but they left and NYPD took over their (modern) facilities.

Too bad in a way, because the CG kept their area on minimum security and you could walk right up to the helos. NYPD treats the area like Area 51.

I have long wanted Floyd Bennett to really make itself an aviation museum, but we don't need more important/historic types rusting in the salt air..however aircraft that are nearly certain to never be preserved elsewhere - like large airliners..it would be nice to see them lined up upon retirement like the Western Boneyards... a Tower Air 747 would've looked fine out there.

One issue though, is much of Floyd Bennett is still a nature preserve. They have objections to blimp operations even because it (might) bother the birds ...and too there is popular support for "open spaces" these days..which translates to a bike path and not much else.

Tom

Winglets747
2007-01-06, 01:31 PM
Sorry if I missed this, but what's the plan for Concorde at Floyd Bennett? It doesn't look like the cabin is open, but is there a way to get inside the fenced area?

-Will

G-BOAD
2007-01-06, 01:40 PM
Here are my pics. Taken on Dec 25.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/mateu21/cocnorde.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l233/mateu21/SF2006088.jpg

hiss srq
2007-01-06, 06:37 PM
Cool stuff... Its good to see an SST at ANY airport in NY.