PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation: Do Not Visit Costco Until Further Notice

PhilDernerJr
2006-12-17, 01:21 PM
After now hearing about two separate incidents that occurred in Costco's parking lot involving n employee telling spotters that the new store manager does not want them there and there they will call the police on us, I am trongly recommending that local spotters do not employ that location for photography.

Doing so would draw unnecessary attention and potentially negative publicity to our group. Not to mention that if the store manager really want to, he/she can probably press charges for tresspassing.

Thankfully, we do have several other options in that area to observe 31R arrivals. I urge you folks to use them instead.

This is unfortunate but expected to happen here and there. Perhaps thigns might turn for the better in the future.

Thanks for your cooperation.

NIKV69
2006-12-17, 01:35 PM
Phil this is good advice but I think we need to define the term "our group" I never mind shooting with you or some of the other guys but I never really liked the idea of being grouped together. As spotters and photographers we also like to enjoy this hobby our own way (sound familiar?) I as all here applaud your efforts in our hobby but you have to remember that we are all individuals and some like to spot that way. I am not saying that I am going to go park in Costco and shoot away today but I am going to be in contact with Mike and see how things play out and act accordingly. I would hope that everyone here from the newbies and veterans act the same way. I just don't like the idea of one person being responsible for the actions of all spotters in this area.

PhilDernerJr
2006-12-17, 02:18 PM
I completely agree with you, Nick. As for the definition of "our group", I'm referncing either the site or the hobby or whomever practices the hobby locally. All I'm saying here is that it's just my own personal recommendation that no one goes there to play it safe.

If someone still wants to go there, then that's fine. However, the negative ramifications that one person experiences if they go there and something bad happens, might also be negative for the group as a whole....making us look bad, causing more strict rules to be placed that prevent us from enjoying our hobby, etc.

If you're implying that I am responsible for the actions of all spotters in the area, I certainly don't mean to come across this way. That is why I titled the thread "recommendation". I can only run my site. I don't own or run the hobby, and all I can do is urge people to do what I think is best for the hobby....they are more than welcome to do or practice the hobby however they please.

I also don't know if this new "rule" at Costco is because of a spotter that did somethign wrong, a new manager that doesn't know enough about the hobby and doesn't want us there, maybe just an employee that is lying to us about a new manager's rules or what. Who knows if they are also barring the fisherman from being there in the same spot, too. Maybe with the holidays, we were taking up valuable parking spaces. Who knows. I just hope that no one here jumps to any conclusions yet.

Again, my original post is just my own personal recommendation and hope that people understnad, agree with and follow. No one is bound to it.

NIKV69
2006-12-17, 02:25 PM
I also don't know if this new "rule" at Costco is because of a spotter that did somethign wrong, a new manager that doesn't know enough about the hobby and doesn't want us there, maybe just an employee that is lying to us about a new manager's rules or what. Who knows if they are also barring the fisherman from being there in the same spot, too. Maybe with the holidays, we were taking up valuable parking spaces. Who knows. I just hope that no one here jumps to any conclusions yet.

It may as well be that some person who couldn't find a spot complained. I have faith in Mike. If he speaks to this person we should be fine. I actually don't like being there on the weekends, it's too busy and this usually happens. I much rather like it early week when I am the only one parked there and there is nothing in the way and not much going on. I am glad Mike has some insight to this. We should get some facts soon and maybe if we don't interfere with the patrons there we will be fine.

sluger020889
2006-12-17, 08:01 PM
I was their on Sat with Idle, Josh, Ryan, Mike and a few others when we were told the new manager didn't want us there. I was all set to talk the manager and see what was up but figured, as an out of towner, it was better left up to the locals to handle the situation. We didn't shoot to much after that as the light was getting bad. I hope all this gets sorted out though...it would be a shame to loose such a great spot.

SCOTYDEMCO
2006-12-17, 08:15 PM
It's the weekend, and the week before Christmas. The lot was packed today. Unfortunatly it's always worse to go in groups. Much more fun, but brings more attention in groups. Today was a great day, but we had to problem slove a bit. I agree with Phil and was going to post this myself. Lay low with going to Costco, give it some time after the holidays. They want the spots for customers.

Mellyrose
2006-12-17, 08:18 PM
I agree with this entirely. I think that it's almost justified for the manager to feel this way. First of all, he's new at this location and is not at all familiar with our hobby and what role "his" parking lot plays in it. Even if he was though, the weekends before Christmas get pretty rowdy at stores like that and I can understand why he'd want as little "chaos" as possible in the lot.

I don't like this news any more than the rest of you, but we have a better chance of being able to one day be welcome there if we respect the request for now.

T-Bird76
2006-12-17, 08:24 PM
I'm very curious to see if he takes the same attitude with the fisherman that are always there. If anyone is in the area they should see if the fisherman remain.

emshighway
2006-12-17, 08:37 PM
I think some are jumping to conclusions. This is the busiest time of the year and the manager is new so he has enough on his plate. Instead of pushing the subject and trying to claim discrimination, why not back off, let the season pass. Then request a meeting and approach it as professionals.

If you need my assistance feel free to ask.

NIKV69
2006-12-17, 09:25 PM
I'm very curious to see if he takes the same attitude with the fisherman that are always there. If anyone is in the area they should see if the fisherman remain.

This is a great point. Something to consider for the future but for now let's let the Holiday run it's course. Plenty of other spots to shoot 31R.

I think some are jumping to conclusions. This is the busiest time of the year and the manager is new so he has enough on his plate. Instead of pushing the subject and trying to claim discrimination, why not back off, let the season pass. Then request a meeting and approach it as professionals.

If you need my assistance feel free to ask.

Thanks but Mike M is already on this. He is a veteran and very respected and he has an inside connection. Believe me he will do the right thing. I think it is best the rest of us not even speak to anyone at Costco.

I would like to hear from Steven Holzinger, rumor has it he may have had a run-in there today. I hope it went well. Also shows the importance to keep up on the events. We didn't need anymore drama.

hiss srq
2006-12-17, 09:48 PM
Kind of depressing that a staple spot for us may be headdedto the way side for now lets hope Magic Mike has it taken care of.

Steven Holzinger
2006-12-17, 10:25 PM
Okay, time for me to chime in... let me set the stage for a minute.

The reason why this thread is here is all because of me. I, my friend Andrew (http://www.flyawayphotos.com), his dad (who were nice enough to give me a ride up, since Andrew really wanted to see Kennedy after going to PHL endless times...and he lives in South Jersey, like me), and my friend Chris (http://www.semperapollo.com) - all of which have never spotted at Kennedy, got together and spent the first hour or so at Howard Beach before making our way to Costco. I had met up with Andy at Howard Beach before we all caravaned over to Costco.

We all arrived at Costco around 11:25 am and were there for a good thirty minutes before an employee came out (he didn't wear anything to show he worked there...at least if you saw him for half a second) and told me, Chris, and Andy (Andrew and his dad were maybe 10 feet away from me) that we had to leave because the new manager did not want us there. Andrew's dad was furious, considering him and his dad (and his mom) were at Ikea no less than two weeks ago, Andrew was taking pictures and the rent-a-cops there gave Andrew and his mom a real hard time and really upset her, which led to his dad carrying phone numbers for TSA and the FAA to back up that the hobby wasn't anything illegal (bad idea, in my opinion). Anyways, the employee told us to speak to the store manager, ADAM. We went in the store, waited for what seemed like at least ten minutes for ADAM, to find out he wasn't in, so we spoke to DAN, an assistant manager. Andrew's dad did most of the talking and I was somewhat outside of the realm of the conversation for the most part but it seemed like at first DAN was taking the side that ADAM wanted. Then, Andrew's dad flashed out a business card - he works for a vendor who supplies Costco with canned food and it seemed like Dan's demeanor took a complete 180. From what I gathered (Andy please correct me if I'm wrong, considering you heard a lot more of the conversation than I did and I was maybe eight feet away inside a loud Costco), it seemed like DAN did not mind us being there but he did want to have to deal with the NCPD. I think it might have also had to deal with Andrew's dad saying he will never shop at Costco.

We ended up leaving Costco (Andy also left as we were changing spots) around 12:45 and drove to Brookville. Bad idea - there's a lot of construction going on back there, so I decided that we hit up Burger King. We got food there and it was also around that time that Scott (ScotyDemco) showed up. We asked the manager who was on duty at BK about what we were doing and he had absolutely no problem with it. In fact, he asked Chris and I about how we specialize in video and even mentioned a project one of his friends did, which was pretty cool. We each gave him a business card, including one from Andrew, and stayed at BK until 3:50. My friend Dan showed up around 2:30 and hung out with us until the very end as well.

I ended up heading home with Chris and when 3:50 came around, JFK had already switched to the 22s. I showed Chris the mounds and decided against filming and shooting there since there was a soccer game going on at the same time, and decided to finish as much more shooting as possible at the park off Brookville (what is the name of that park?). No problems there at all. Chris, Dan, and I ended up staying there until about 5.

I'm very skeptical about this Adam guy... and I would side with Phil and say that we shouldn't spot at Costco, at least until we get this all figured out. It's weird how this is the first time I've had a problem at ANY of the spots but at the same time I think it was a nice head's up from that employee because I was not ready to deal with NCPD cops (I had gotten arrested in New Brunswick for having an open container of alcohol... which was complete toro because it was my friend who had the open container and I was walking a good fifteen feet behind him - luckily for me the arrest was thrown off my record after they realized their mistake).

And that's what happened...

EDIT: Habitat for Humanity came in on 31L... :-(

mikephotos
2006-12-18, 03:07 AM
This sounds like a big mess but I'll see what I can do from my end. I know Dan, nice guy (if we're talking about the same Dan). I am not saying what anyone should do (stop going there or whatever), it's not my place to do so. I would however suggest that you try to keep low-key for a while but again, that's only a suggestion. I'll speak to my brother-in-law tomorrow and get the scoop on where we're at from this point.

If anyone can think of add'l "points" that would be a positive for allowing us to stay without hassle, list them. If I (we) can show that it actually might be a benefit rather than a hassle for us to continue shooting there it would certainly make it easier with the new mgr. I'm not worried about the Nassau PD part, they really no ground to remove us (ask to leave) if we've been given the "okay" by Costco.

Mike

PhilDernerJr
2006-12-18, 04:13 AM
Sounds great, Mike. I think we are all in agreement that we should ease back on Costco usage until this is cleared up.

As for some points I'd mention:

- Many of us spotters are card-carrying Costco members

- Our presence can help either thwart, prevent or document any crimes, suspicious activity or disturbes that happen in the parking lot (other than us! haha)

- Planes are the uber roxor!!1!1!!!1!!! OMFBBBQ!!1!

Please keep us posted, Mike. Thanks so much for helping us out. I'd hate to hear of someone having a tough time with the law or something causing the spot to be ruined for good.

Iberia A340-600
2006-12-18, 08:06 AM
Even if 31's aren't in use today I'll drive by Costco to see if I see any fisherman.

NIKV69
2006-12-18, 08:38 AM
Even if 31's aren't in use today I'll drive by Costco to see if I see any fisherman

Why? The fisherman are not our concern. Nor is the fact they were not asked to leave or have been. Let's not get into a "why are they allowed and we aren't" thing. It is counterproductive and gets us nowhere.

We should also remember that Costco much like other spots is not our personal spotting location and we should be considerate of Costco and it's customers. I advise that we shouldn't go there in a big group when they are at peak periods. I know for some weekends are the only time to shoot but please remember that this is a parking lot for people shopping in Costco. Hopefully if Mike can get us the ok to shoot there we should think about this before you shoot there and consider other locations if the parking lot is very busy. Maybe even just moving to the other side of the lot where it is less crowded. It is a little tougher shooting but not taking up spots from patrons. Always remember we can explain to Costco all we want about our hobby but in their eyes we are basically loitering.

Thanks again to Mike or his efforts. Let's hope he is successful.

Iberia A340-600
2006-12-18, 08:40 AM
Even if 31's aren't in use today I'll drive by Costco to see if I see any fisherman

Why? The fisherman are not our concern. Nor is the fact they were not asked to leave or have been. Let's not get into a "why are they allowed and we aren't" thing. It is counterproductive and gets us nowhere.

We should also remember that Costco much like other spots is not our personal spotting location and we should be considerate of Costco and it's customers. I advise that we shouldn't go there in a big group when they are at peak periods. I know for some weekends are the only time to shoot but please remember that this is a parking lot for people shopping in Costco. Hopefully if Mike can get us the ok to shoot there we should think about this before you shoot there and consider other locations if the parking lot is very busy. Maybe even just moving to the other side of the lot where it is less crowded. It is a little tougher shooting but not taking up spots from patrons. Always remember we can explain to Costco all we want about our hobby but in their eyes we are basically loitering.

Thanks again to Mike or his efforts. Let's hope he is successful.

Nick, I was reffering to Tommy's comment about if he takes the same attitude towards the fisherman as he did us.

NIKV69
2006-12-18, 09:40 AM
Nick, I was reffering to Tommy's comment about if he takes the same attitude towards the fisherman as he did us

Granted but again what does that matter? The fisherman are not involved in this and if we take the path of using the fisherman as some sort of leverage to say why are they allowed to fish and we are not allowed to shoot we are run the risk of having this guy say we can never shoot there. Again this is not a founder's plaza or some other observation deck. It is a parking lot. This manager for whatever reason got a bee in his bonnet about us so let us find out exactly why and try to fix it (What Mike is doing) There is no reason to do anything else.

T-Bird76
2006-12-18, 11:34 AM
Nick if the Fisherman are allowed to stay that is clearly a discriminatory move towards us by either the manager or the NCPD plain and simple. If you're going to ban non customer's from using your parking lot then it has to be all non customers not just some. Let me remind you COSTCO is a publicly traded company and their policies have to be consistent when their managers deal with the public.

Tom_Turner
2006-12-18, 12:10 PM
I agree with you 100% Tommy, however I think the easiest "fix" for Costco - should they percieve we are being "aggressive" with them about a discriminatory practice, would be to simply kick out the fishermen (if they haven't already).

To be honest, as unfair as it may be to us, I'd rather not get the fishermen thrown out too. (assuming they haven't been already as well).

[I admit it did irritate me though when Port *seemed* to allow dirt bikers along Rockaway Blvd and not us though...]

I'm not sure Costco (and other private property areas) would really be too enthusiastic to find out their property is actually an "advertised" spotting location. (I could be wrong about that, but I just don't see what's in it for them...especially since we're a land of excessive litigation)

Tom

SCOTYDEMCO
2006-12-18, 02:25 PM
I agree with Tommy and Tom, BUT being aggressive now, getting into discrimination and the fisherman situations should not be an option right now. Let the Holiday pass. Let Mike speak to the manager. In February if there are Fisherman there and spotters are not allowed then you can get into that if you want. Let it cool down. I spotted from the street yesterday for a bit, right on Rockaway blvd. It's a good time to explore some other possible locations for spotting, who knows maybe there are better or just as good spots out there. We went to BK yesterday and I spoke with Rich the manager to tell him what we were doing, he was real cool and had no problems with it, not to say another manager would be cool with it, or the PD. We can always break out the camo gear and hide in the swamp off of snake road on Brookville to catch 22L and 22R.

T-Bird76
2006-12-18, 02:50 PM
I'm not saying break out the discrimination card, I'm simply pointing out that as a publicly traded company COSTCO has to be consistent with its approach to the pubic. I say we all buy one share of COSTCO stock, then let him try to kick us out, LOL ;)

SCOTYDEMCO
2006-12-18, 04:14 PM
I hear you Tommy. I have a Costco card. We'll head there next week Tommy, we'll buy up all their water and drink it in the parking lot while we shoot. lol

hiss srq
2006-12-18, 04:17 PM
We were all joking about getting cards Saturday. Hey paying customers!

kc2aqg
2006-12-18, 07:17 PM
Steve's recount of the incident pretty much summed it up. We were told by an employee that the new manager didn't want us there and would call NCPD if we remained. He gave us the name Adam, and when we went in to speak with Adam, he was not working at the time (which leads me to believe this employee was either on a power trip or just trying to pawn off the responsibility of the situation to someone else at Costco - either way something didn't smell right to me). After a long wait, we finally spoke with Dan and Andrew's dad did most of the talking. I agree that Dan's attitude did a complete 180 midway through the conversation and it didn't seem like he had any problem with us being there, but was concerned about the police and customer complaints. Dan seemed like a nice guy and reasonable, but the situation carries some heat unfortunately, especially if any NCPD or authorities get involved. I agree with Phil in that it would seem to cause more harm to our reputation if people returned there and aggravated the situation. Also keep in mind that surrounding the busy holiday travel season and with the recent demise of the Al-Queda leader, terror alerts and tensions are high all around. Perhaps the situation will cool off with a little bit of time, we can only hope. Until then, I agree that there are plenty of other places to spot from that won't cause this kind of commotion and we should take advantage of them (once again, not telling anyone what to do, but this is what I'm going to do and would recommend to others).

By the way, when I arrived at Cross Bay Blvd at HoBe, there were two NYPD vehicles in the lot across the street. I was in plain view of them the whole time taking photos and they never came over. Guess it's the luck of the draw.

On a more positive note, I got to test out the new Sony DSC-H5 and got some pretty good shots of the TAM A300 in orange colors, the Delta 777 departing to Atlanta, among others. I had a great time, especially meeting up with Steve, Andrew, and Chris, and I'm gonna go out to some other spots this coming weekend.

tipek
2006-12-18, 11:16 PM
Guys,

I think the main problem is that most of the locals shoot from the location almost across from the main entrance to Costco. Why not shooting from end of the parking lot where all the semi's park? If you want some crazy nose-on shots you can get them from BK parking lot. If you want side on shots you can get great pictures from the rear of Costco's parking lot.

Just adding my 2c.

Rafal

NIKV69
2006-12-19, 12:29 AM
I think the main problem is that most of the locals shoot from the location almost across from the main entrance to Costco. Why not shooting from end of the parking lot where all the semi's park? If you want some crazy nose-on shots you can get them from BK parking lot. If you want side on shots you can get great pictures from the rear of Costco's parking lot.

I advised this before, many here complain about the wires and such. I think we should move around more. There are so many good spots out there.

Iberia A340-600
2006-12-19, 12:57 AM
I checked out what was up at Costco on my way out around 4 and the parking lot was pretty empty, especially over by the water.

I was talking to my dad about how shooting from behind might also be a good idea like what Nick said.

pgengler
2006-12-19, 12:17 PM
Guys,

Just adding my 2c.

Rafal

The one time I've been out for spotting at JFK (I really need to get out more!), that's where I went, since I didn't know where the "popular" spot was. There are wires that are kind of annoying, but it is possible to get shots without them (see my shots from June 11 (http://gallery.pgengler.net/2006-06-11)). It is a more "out of the way" spot in the lot.

T-Bird76
2006-12-19, 05:41 PM
Well I'm happy the BK manager is cool with us there. I'm one of the few who love the angle they come at near BK. Plus the fence is a great shelter from the cold winter winds. I still remember over the summer being there and this boat pulls up and this dude crawls under the fence grabs some BK and off he goes in his boat. You never now what you'll see there. lol

NIKV69
2006-12-19, 06:09 PM
You never now what you'll see there. lol

Phil and I saw two cows scoffing down whoppers and smoking trees!

PhilDernerJr
2006-12-19, 08:35 PM
You never now what you'll see there. lol

Phil and I saw two cows scoffing down whoppers and smoking trees!

To all, he's not exagerrating. Two soccer moms it seemed, puffin on green, and I don't mean Aer Lingus.

Mellyrose
2006-12-19, 08:52 PM
Ooh, ooh! I was there too! It was actually really gross.

NIKV69
2006-12-19, 10:33 PM
Screw the marijuana they inhaled those whoppers like there was no tomorrow! One of them looked like a double too. That is some heavy duty eating.

SCOTYDEMCO
2006-12-19, 11:49 PM
LMAO!!!

Speedbird1
2006-12-22, 11:47 AM
I used to go on the hill adjacent to the 22L arrivals on Rockaway Blvd. Is that spot still available or has it been fenced-off? I got my best shots there as it gave you views of approaching aircraft, aircraft directly overhead and a view of the touchdown. I have a feeling that area is closed-off.

NIKV69
2006-12-22, 11:52 AM
I used to go on the hill adjacent to the 22L arrivals on Rockaway Blvd. Is that spot still available or has it been fenced-off? I got my best shots there as it gave you views of approaching aircraft, aircraft directly overhead and a view of the touchdown. I have a feeling that area is closed-off.

I don't know about a hill but I walk to that big dirt area on Rockaway and shoot (just south) adjacent to 22L. No fence.

nikon50bigma
2006-12-26, 12:10 PM
I hope everyone had a merry christmas.
Yesterday I took a ride out to JFK but it started to rain and the lighting was very vary bad, but the were using 31R then they switched to 31L and 22L for arrivals but since the weather was bad I decided not to go to either spot.
But have you guys heard any news regarding the new manager at costco?
Have you guys spoken with him yet?
Do you thnik if we were to speak with the officals at JFK airport they'd let us have a trip on the airport, like a tour if you want to call it that to obtain shots like Mario Craig has.

T-Bird76
2006-12-26, 12:53 PM
News flash there's life after Costco... On Christmas Eve myself Nick, Josh, and Eric took up postion near the Firestone in the Bay Harbour Mall parking lot. It was a great spot, nobody said boo to us and the shots from there are great. All it takes is to get in your car and drive around a bit to find new spots.

nikon50bigma
2006-12-26, 02:11 PM
News flash there's life after Costco... On Christmas Eve myself Nick, Josh, and Eric took up postion near the Firestone in the Bay Harbour Mall parking lot. It was a great spot, nobody said boo to us and the shots from there are great. All it takes is to get in your car and drive around a bit to find new spots.

thats good news! can you post some shots so we can get an idea of what type of angle the planes come in at?
Did anyone "eye" you in a weird way?

T-Bird76
2006-12-26, 05:05 PM

thats good news! can you post some shots so we can get an idea of what type of angle the planes come in at?

http://nycaviation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4651

Here's the link from the 24th, we always get strange looks from ppl, no big deal.

nwafan20
2006-12-26, 05:11 PM
C'mon, we all know Tommy gets wierd looks from people even when hes NOT spotting! :D

nikon50bigma
2006-12-26, 09:33 PM
But no news on the status of costco right?

NIKV69
2006-12-26, 10:37 PM
All it takes is to get in your car and drive around a bit to find new spots.

Where have I heard that before! :mrgreen:

That is always going to happen no matter where you are, better to ignore and act normal.

But no news on the status of costco right?

Think Mike is speaking to his contact at Costco this week, if you have to shoot at Costco just do it smart, avoid it when it's prime time and if someone asks you to leave just leave and be nice.

Tommy, keep in mind my new spot at Firestone is not the end all, in summer that spot is dead late afteroon when the sun moves west and Costco is still a spot we will need to shoot at from time to time. Especially for those late summer shots on 31R. So we all need to treat the people at Costco with some respect for the long haul.

nikon50bigma
2006-12-31, 12:11 AM
Is there any type of update regarding the status of costco?

Iberia A340-600
2006-12-31, 01:52 AM
Forgot to add this but the other day I stopped qucikly at the FishMarket next to Costco to get a shot of the Korean Air Cargo 747-400F and I noticed a Nassau County Police car come into Costco and drive by the usual spot and then pull out.

Pretty sure he was checking for spotters.

NIKV69
2006-12-31, 03:13 AM
Is there any type of update regarding the status of costco?

As of now there is no new news. If you must shoot in Costco just use good sense. If you are approached by law enforcement tell them exactly what you are doing. If asked to leave do so, don't go inside and start a pissing contest about who you are or the fisherman or whatever with management. If it is a busy day try to park somewhere that doesn't interfere with patrons.

I noticed a Nassau County Police car come into Costco and drive by the usual spot and then pull out.

Pretty sure he was checking for spotters.

I doubt it, NCPD drives through there all the time. We had one drive right by us in Firestone and he just kept going. They are not out to get us but they will try to deter us if the phone calls keep increasing and they may revert back to the imaginary laws against photography again so stand up for your rights in a civil manner and comply with their wishes until something is worked out.

nikon50bigma
2006-12-31, 12:12 PM
We I'll stay away from costco for the time being since there is no update on the area in regards to the manager. But in all seriousness, if everyone here as a group, if we were to have a group spearker ( if you want to call it that) and ask the "head" of JFK airport for a tour, or ground access near the touchdown areas. Do you still think we would be denied? B/c it would be simialr to LGA's kid's day.

Iberia A340-600
2006-12-31, 12:45 PM
We I'll stay away from costco for the time being since there is no update on the area in regards to the manager. But in all seriousness, if everyone here as a group, if we were to have a group spearker ( if you want to call it that) and ask the "head" of JFK airport for a tour, or ground access near the touchdown areas. Do you still think we would be denied? B/c it would be simialr to LGA's kid's day.

I honestly don't think there is a very high chance of that happening. In Europe and Australia things are a little less tight security wise which is why you see the tours going on at Zurich and Melbourne but considering how tight security is I doubt it could happen.

It is always worth a shot though.

nikon50bigma
2007-01-07, 11:41 AM
Now is it safe to go to costco?

Winglets747
2007-02-02, 10:49 PM
What's the latest on Costco?

FlyingColors
2007-02-03, 01:51 PM
Well next time I go to JFK, I'll stop in Costco-to shoot-, since I'm a paying member.

Iberia A340-600
2007-02-03, 02:25 PM
I've been to JFK three times in the last two months and have stayed away from Costco and instead spotted from Firestone.

I have only spotted from Costco once or twice but I find Firestone a great spot because the planes are at a better angle (in my opinion) and you can see what is coming as well as 31L arrivals.

There is a police sub station by Firestone but after one visit we were not bothered again.

Come spring and summer the light will change but I don't know how much it will effect the spot.

markg
2007-03-07, 05:34 PM
I was at Costco on Sunday for a while, no hassles but then again we didn't venture out of the car it was so cold!

pinktristar
2007-05-07, 07:57 PM
[/quote]

I honestly don't think there is a very high chance of that happening. In Europe and Australia things are a little less tight security wise which is why you see the tours going on at Zurich and Melbourne but considering how tight security is I doubt it could happen.

It is always worth a shot though.[/quote]

You can rest assured security at European and Australian airports are on a level with the USA, if not better!

The difference is attitude towards spotters and airliner photographers.
The authorities realize the difference between an enthusiast, (and make some effort to accommodate those with a harmless interest in the airport and airliners), and terrorists!

Having said that, Friday, and Sunday, made two trips to JFK (800 miles of driving!), and managed to spot inside the airport complex for a total of 8 hours without a confrontation! It feels like the folks at JFK are becoming more tolerant of the enthusiast community. And that has to be a good sign!!

Geoff

wunaladreamin
2007-05-07, 08:04 PM
Having said that, Friday, and Sunday, made two trips to JFK (800 miles of driving!), and managed to spot inside the airport complex for a total of 8 hours without a confrontation! It feels like the folks at JFK are becoming more tolerant of the enthusiast community. And that has to be a good sign!!

Geoff

I think you should chalk it up to pure luck. Nothing more.