PDA

View Full Version : Nikon 10.5mm Fisheye Qs

Winglets747
2006-12-11, 11:22 PM
Hello Nikonians (and those who secretly wish they were :wink:)

I've heard lots of good things about Nikon's 10.5mm Fisheye (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105fe.htm) and thought I would check to see your opinions. Opinions? Thoughts?

For aviation use, this lens would be great for uber close ups and cabin shots. Outside of aviation, there are a number of uses that I like and would definitely use the lens for.

I was definitely considering getting it until I realized just *how* expensive it is. Lowest price I can find is $579 or so. I looked into refurbished models, but only found 1 listing, which was $10 less than the new price (though it's 3 years old now, it still seems to be a hot item). Any ideas on how to get lower prices, or if prices may come down in the coming months?

Thanks everyone!

-Will

NIKV69
2006-12-12, 12:00 AM
and those who secretly wish they were

Like Tommy!

Not sure where you are going to find that lens much cheaper. under the circumstances you may as well just go to B&H and get in new in box. This way you steer clear of the discount online houses and the risk of grey market.

SP-LPB
2006-12-12, 12:33 AM
I don't know if I should be allowed to take part in this "Nikonian 101". First off, I think that the 10.5 is a good lens but it doesn't give you much flexibility. The aperture range is great f/2.8; that's pretty much I can comment on as I never experienced this lens as a devout Canonite.

I'm actually looking at buying a wide angle after Christmas and Sigma 10-20 for Canon is looking as a potential choice. There is a version of this lens for Nikon cameras. 10-20 gives you better flexibility, in other words, your not stuck at 10.5 all the time. I recently read an article about Sigma 10-20 vs. Canon 10-22 and Sigma was the recommendation. The price of the Sigma 10-20 for Nikon is $498 from Amazon.

Never was and never will be. That statement is just out of bounds, I think you should re-phrase that, I feel offended and traumatized. I'm going to go pet my 10D now so it wont feel hurt. LOL

T-Bird76
2006-12-12, 09:59 AM

Like Tommy!

Not sure where you are going to find that lens much cheaper. under the circumstances you may as well just go to B&H and get in new in box. This way you steer clear of the discount online houses and the risk of grey market.

Nah I'm not a fan of cheap Plastic. :twisted: :twisted:

FlyingColors
2006-12-12, 04:10 PM

Like Tommy!

Nah I'm not a fan of cheap Plastic. :twisted: :twisted:

So your a fan of non color coordinated paint that chips off, fair enough! :wink:

FlyingColors
2006-12-12, 04:14 PM

I've heard lots of good things about Nikon's 10.5mm Fisheye (http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/105fe.htm) and thought I would check to see your opinions. Opinions? Thoughts?

For aviation use, this lens would be great for uber close ups and cabin shots. Outside of aviation, there are a number of uses that I like and would definitely use the lens for.

I was definitely considering getting it until I realized just *how* expensive it is. Lowest price I can find is $579 or so. I looked into refurbished models, but only found 1 listing, which was $10 less than the new price (though it's 3 years old now, it still seems to be a hot item). Any ideas on how to get lower prices, or if prices may come down in the coming months?

Thanks everyone!

-Will

In the world of lens that's dirt cheap for pro glass.

And anyone who looks at airliners knows "Mr A-Net" uses this lens on every flight and bowel movement -- the king of cockpits and crapper shots.

Winglets747
2006-12-12, 09:32 PM
And anyone who looks at airliners knows "Mr A-Net" uses this lens on every flight and bowel movement -- the king of cockpits and crapper shots.

Yes--that's what made me start to think seriously about this lens. :P

-Will