PDA

View Full Version : Nose Wheel Numbers

heeshung
2006-12-06, 05:15 PM
As with any other aviation enthusiast, you're always willing to find out the registration of the airplane you're on when you're traveling. In some cases, that's not possible, to the point where you can't get a good glance at the registration because there are no windows, or it's nighttime.

I had a similar situation aboard an American 777-223 (ER). Unfortunately, I could not get a good look at the number both at the departure airport or the arrival airport. Fortunately, there was a plaque at the rear of the airplane that read, "Nose No. (Hard to distinguish text) Tail No. (Completely indistinguishable text)". I gave up. A couple seconds after I settled in my seat, a friendly flight attendant came and said, "7HW". That was obviously the tail number. Is there a way to find out the registration of an airplane by the tail number, or is there a place to look it up? As always, I appreciate all comments.

Nonstop2AUH
2006-12-06, 05:25 PM
I've flown on a few BA 747s where the reg number (e.g. G-BNLN, etc.) had been hand-scrawled on a panel next to a door with a black marker. Found it surprising that at a big company like BA, they couldn't be bothered to at least get a label printer or something more professional-looking. Maybe a Willie Walsh cost-saving measure?

T-Bird76
2006-12-06, 05:28 PM
I'm not sure but most Boeing aircraft have the manufactures plaque over the front door of the plane that includes the regi. I usually look just to satisfy Alex when he texts me a million times to see the regi of my plane. LOL

JRadier
2006-12-06, 05:47 PM
according to JP airline fleets 7HW isn't a fleetnumber. only 7A*, 7B* and 7CA are. 7AW is N789AN, 7BW is N761AJ

heeshung
2006-12-06, 05:54 PM
So I guess the attendant read it wrong. I'll review some of the photos I took of the aircraft, and see if I can find any other distinguishing marks. Thanks for all the comments.

mirrodie
2006-12-06, 06:31 PM
Actually she read it right....perhaps you heard "7 A W"?

On our last flight on an AA 777, we asked the FA the same question and the pilot gave the answer. "7BR"

I then went online and forget how I found it, but I found it nonetheless.

hiss srq
2006-12-06, 09:03 PM
these are ship numbers in the fleet if I am not mistaken. In certain USExpress fleets we use a set of 3 letters for each airplane.

heeshung
2006-12-07, 09:36 PM
Ok, I just got a photo of the plane at night at the terminal. Luckily, I got the nose number in there. It definetely looks like either "78W" or "7BW", but since there's no "78W", I'm assuming it's "7BW".

That means it was N761AJ. Thanks to everyone who helped me on this "mini-mystery". :)

JRadier, where did you get that info on JP.net?

Winglets747
2006-12-07, 09:40 PM
I've flown on a few BA 747s where the reg number (e.g. G-BNLN, etc.) had been hand-scrawled on a panel next to a door with a black marker. Found it surprising that at a big company like BA, they couldn't be bothered to at least get a label printer or something more professional-looking. Maybe a Willie Walsh cost-saving measure?

Hmm. I've been on a few BA 74s and on the 4 doors at least there was a formal placard stating the regi.

-Will

Alex T
2006-12-07, 11:58 PM
I'm not sure but most Boeing aircraft have the manufactures plaque over the front door of the plane that includes the regi. I usually look just to satisfy Alex when he texts me a million times to see the regi of my plane. LOL

Good boy! :D :D

*throws tom a treat*

Alex

JRadier
2006-12-08, 12:24 PM
JRadier, where did you get that info on JP.net?
JP Airline Fleets is a book ;). See buchair.ch for more info

tipek
2006-12-08, 12:50 PM
If you decide to buy JP fleet dont buy it on CD. I buy their books from airways magazine each year but this year I went with the CD. Big mistake. Its easy to find stuff but thats about it. Book is much better.

Rafal

Nonstop2AUH
2006-12-08, 05:47 PM
You can see what I was talking about to the left of the door (i.e. over the guy's right shoulder), this is G-BNLE apparently and yes, that is handwritten on the panel in blue ink...

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k224/michaeluae/MJSLHR744.jpg[/img]

DHG750R
2006-12-12, 07:02 AM
AA uses a system where the Reg # doesn't match the ship #. They arent the only airline to do so . Generally speaking when an airline has several hundred aircraft , some of which may not have sequential reg numbers They will use a nose or ship number. In some cases , the airline's operating system does not support more than a 3 digit ship number , therefore a mix of letters and numbers is used , or in USAirways express does - a 3 letter code is used. AA and US currently both use SABRE which has this restriction

Here's a pic of the AA 737-800 "Astrojet" Notice the ship # on the nose gear door
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1151380/L/

Here's a T7
http://www.airliners.net/open.file/1013827/L/