PDA

View Full Version : The NYCA MANHATTAN Holiday Get together: December 21st

Mellyrose
2006-12-06, 12:01 PM
Several of us have decided that it would be a good idea to have another Holiday get-together for NYCAers in Manhattan....we'd love for people from NJ, Westchester and beyond to be able to join in the festivites and would hate to have the distance of Suffolk County to limit that.

All Long Islanders (and anyone ele for that matter) are of course welcome to this event as well.

We'll figure out the best group-friendly place to have this....we're also taking suggestions!

T-Bird76
2006-12-06, 12:06 PM
I'd be willing to take a ride into the city that night.

RDU-JFK
2006-12-06, 12:07 PM
I might be able to attend as well--it'll be great to finally meet some of you.

Matt Molnar
2006-12-06, 12:08 PM
We should try to come up with a place within stumbling distance of Penn and Grand Central. I haven't had coffee yet so my thinking cap isn't on.

Mellyrose
2006-12-06, 12:11 PM
I researching on CitySearch right now. Will keep you posted. :)

Also, I'm thinking this should be at 7pm. Does that work for everyone?

moose135
2006-12-06, 12:30 PM
Sounds good - I should be able to make that one!

Mellyrose
2006-12-06, 12:31 PM
How about this place? I actually almost arranged a party there recently but the event fell through. The food looks good...nice variety and fair prices.

Also very centrally located for everyone (38th between 5th and Madison, can't beat it!): http://www.butterfield8nyc.com/

There's also this if we want to do Italian: http://www.tonysnyc.com/

I'll call both to find out about large parties :)

Futterman
2006-12-06, 12:47 PM
Hey folks!

BU8 looks fantastic...and they have caesar salads, I'm game. :) Count me in, I should be free.

Brian

RDU-JFK
2006-12-06, 12:50 PM
21st at 7 works for me. That butterfield place looks really good!

T-Bird76
2006-12-06, 12:52 PM
The first place's menu is very limited, I'd say the second place, lots on the menu and its family style.

Mellyrose
2006-12-06, 12:55 PM
Ok guys...I just spoke with my contact at Butterfield and grabbed the last 2 booths in the bar area for that night....I made the reservation for the tables for 7:30 to be safe, though myself and others will most likely be arriving much earlier than that.

They only had 2 booths left to RESERVE, which means 10 people total, but since they're in the bar area, I think it will work out great, as we'll be able to stand and mingle around our table as well. I don't think we'll have more than 10 people anyway, but if we do and a 3rd table opens by ours, we'll be able to get that one, too.

So, whoever wants to meet BEFORE 7:30 at the bar, post and let us know. Phil and I will probably show up around 6:45 and if you'd like our cell #s, just shoot a PM and I'll be happy to provide them for any additional questions.

Mellyrose
2006-12-06, 12:56 PM
The first place's menu is very limited, I'd say the second place, lots on the menu and its family style.

I called the first place and they're not group friendly around the holidays at all....that plus the fact that they're in Times Square and 4 days before Christmas and we have a disaster. I think that Butterfield will work out fine...and location is good for Long Islanders too. You don't think the menu is extensive enough? Did you look at the whole thing?

T-Bird76
2006-12-06, 01:07 PM

I called the first place and they're not group friendly around the holidays at all....that plus the fact that they're in Times Square and 4 days before Christmas and we have a disaster. I think that Butterfield will work out fine...and location is good for Long Islanders too. You don't think the menu is extensive enough? Did you look at the whole thing?

Isn't the first place Butterfield's??? That's the one you posted first. Yes I did look at it. I think Buttefield has a limited Entrees menu which might not afford everyone's taste. I'm fine with their menu personally but there are only six main courses, I'd call that limited.

Mellyrose
2006-12-06, 01:13 PM
Calm down Tommy, please.

Yes, they might only have 6 entrees, but there are a TON of sandwiches, entree salads and sharable appetizers too....that's why I asked if you looked at the whole thing.

mirrodie
2006-12-06, 01:13 PM
We'll see if we can join up.

T-Bird76
2006-12-06, 01:24 PM
Calm down Tommy, please.

Yes, they might only have 6 entrees, but there are a TON of sandwiches, entree salads and sharable appetizers too....that's why I asked if you looked at the whole thing.

Mel I'm very calm, I was simply responding to something you asked with my opinion. I think the place looks great, I love lounge seetings I was just stating a concern that I had.

pgengler
2006-12-06, 01:31 PM
I actually just had lunch at BU8 yesterday, and I work right around the corner. Their menu isn't as long as some places, but there's enough that most people are likely to find something they want (or at least something they'll settle for). Inside is quite nice; it feels like a fancier place than the "casual but nice" dress suggestion implies.

Count me in!

Mellyrose
2006-12-06, 01:34 PM
Ok, well after me pointing out the extended menu that you might not have noticed, do you agree that this place will suit everyone's tastes? The full menu is below so everyone can see.

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/starters.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/salads.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/burgers.jpg

http://www.nycaviation.com/hosting/entrees.jpg

mirrodie
2006-12-06, 02:28 PM
Sorry, we can't make Thursday at 1900 but have a ball, menu wars aside :D

We'll only be able to attend the original date...like dec 28, on the other thread.

look forward to seeing pics :)

Mellyrose
2006-12-06, 02:37 PM
No problem...but you'll be missed. Send my love to the lady and the belly!

cancidas
2006-12-08, 12:35 PM
the 21st is my brother's birthday, so i need to be home then. i'd probably be able to make it to the island get-together though, i'm off on thuersdays as it is...

USAF Pilot 07
2006-12-15, 04:45 AM
I'll be back in the city on the 18th, so I should be able to make it on the 21st at 7.

Mel, what a great location (not only because it's close to GCT and Penn Station, but its only like 6 blocks from my house ;) ) and the menu looks great!

This should be a great time! Being out here in Colorado, I'm somewhat detached from the NYCAviation "crew" so it will finally be nice to meet many of the faces behind the usernames!

Mellyrose
2006-12-15, 10:16 AM
Great, Clark! I was hoping you'd be able to make it. 6 blocks from my office, too ;)

Can we get a final sweep of RSVPs so I can get an approximate headcount please? Just the people who ARE (I know that this is going to be ignored) coming post with YES and if they're bringing someone special with them (though remember that space IS limited).

pgengler
2006-12-15, 10:46 AM
YES, no guest.

moose135
2006-12-15, 12:57 PM
The Moose says "Yes"! (No guests)

T-Bird76
2006-12-15, 01:07 PM
Yes I will be there.

eric8669
2006-12-16, 12:19 AM
I will try to make it.

Eric

USAF Pilot 07
2006-12-17, 05:49 AM
I will be there unless anything comes up last minute!

mirrodie
2006-12-17, 12:00 PM
Well, we are still a 75% to come.

We'd like to attend, that way if Futterman is there, he and Highheels could keep company in the non-bar area :)

vor13l
2006-12-17, 10:17 PM
Place sounds real hip, will def. try to make it.
Greg

Matt Molnar
2006-12-18, 01:42 AM
You know us, hip bunch we are. :)

By the way, I will be attending since I didn't make that clear in my first post.

PhilDernerJr
2006-12-21, 12:55 AM
I am THERE.

Hope more of you can make it. Just show up if you can. :)

Matt Molnar
2006-12-21, 08:29 PM
!!!!!!!!

NEW VENUE: MADISON BISTRO, MADISON AVE BTW 37TH AND 38TH

Sorry for the last minute change, but the original place turned out to be more of a bar than a restaurant and they were carding people which would have shut some people out.

!!!!!!!!

PhilDernerJr
2006-12-22, 12:34 AM
He yall,

Really sorry if anyone didn't get that change in time. When Mel and I showed up early, we saw the place was "pumpin" and was very misleading when we made the reservations about the scene. Even though the name of the place said "restaurant and lounge", it was a loudbar that would noe have been conducive to the atmosphere we wanted.

We were able to get an 11-person reservation at a restaurant around the corner at a place called "Madison Bistro". It's at 238 Madison Ave between 38tha nd 37th, and they accomodated us well. Quieter with a great atmosphere, I think everyone that came had a great time.

We told the folks at the original place that if anyone looked lost or asked, to direct them to the new place, and they said they were willing.

Thanks to those who came or tried to. :(

pgengler
2006-12-22, 01:09 AM
Really sorry if anyone didn't get that change in time. When Mel and I showed up early, we saw the place was "pumpin" and was very misleading when we made the reservations about the scene. Even though the name of the place said "restaurant and lounge", it was a loudbar that would noe have been conducive to the atmosphere we wanted.

I don't know if you saw it, but there is more of a restaurant-type place in the back, past the bar (not that it matters much now, though).

Sorry I wasn't able to make it; I got stuck with a minor crisis at work and only got back home at around 11:30.

PhilDernerJr
2006-12-22, 01:19 AM
Phil, I was worried about you coming because of the last minute change, since noneof us have your phone number. Hope you're not offended when I say I was glad you didn't come for that reason! haha

Definitely a lesson for the future....we need to take phone numbers by PM just in case of this stuff.

Hope to see you again soon.

Mellyrose
2006-12-22, 01:36 AM
I asked to be seated in the back restaurant area when I initially made the reservation, and they said they would accomodate us, but indicentally there was another holiday (private) party going on tonight.

The crowd was OBNOXIOUS when we got there. I damn near got knocked over by at least 3 drunk morons within 2 minutes.

The place we wound up at was MUCH nicer, and had a very comfy & holiday feel, with great food.

pgengler
2006-12-22, 01:49 AM
I asked to be seated in the back restaurant area when I initially made the reservation, and they said they would accomodate us, but indicentally there was another holiday (private) party going on tonight.

The crowd was OBNOXIOUS when we got there. I damn near got knocked over by at least 3 drunk morons within 2 minutes.

The place we wound up at was MUCH nicer, and had a very comfy & holiday feel, with great food.

Glad that everyone had a good time; I might have to get myself over the Madison Bistro for lunch one day, as I've walked past it a lot without ever really noticing it. I wish I could have been there; would have been much better than hours in the office!

I suppose the experience at BU8 depends on when you go; I went for a lunch a few weeks ago and it was nice and quiet; I guess the dinner crowd is of a different breed (or at the very least doesn't have to worry about going to back to work drunk).

Mellyrose
2006-12-22, 01:56 AM
Well that's what I was expecting from what I'd heard about it. I was very surprised and disappointed to find what we did.

Worked out anyway. :)

USAF Pilot 07
2006-12-22, 01:38 PM
Yea, the place turned out to be really nice, and quiet and a great atmosphere! I apologize again for leaving early so suddenly; I don't know what came over me, but I really started feeling like crap, and didn't want to get sick at that place. I was actually up sick most of last night when I got back; first time I've been legatimately sick in over a year. But regardless, I feel bad for upping and leaving like that...
Anyway I'm glad I got to meet most of you, and look forward to doing something like this again!

PhilDernerJr
2006-12-22, 01:52 PM
Clark, no worries at all man! Sucks that you got sick, but we were all glad to get to see you!

lijk604
2006-12-24, 09:46 PM
no pictures??? C'mon guys, does Fred have to be everywhere?