PDA

View Full Version : Brazil to let US pilots go home after crash probe

Midnight Mike
2006-12-05, 05:16 PM
Brazil to let US pilots go home after crash probe

http://www.ainalerts.com/ainalerts/alerts/120506.html

RIO DE JANEIRO, Brazil, Dec 5 (Reuters) - Two U.S. pilots should be allowed to go home after being forced to stay in Brazil for more than two months over their role in the country's worst air disaster, a Brazilian court ruled on Tuesday.

A court statement said Joseph Lepore, 42, and Jan Paladino, 34, would get their passports back after 72 hours, during which the police would take further testimony. The two must promise to show up when needed for the investigation and legal process.

"The measure of restricting the freedom of movement for foreigners is not backed by the domestic legal system," the statement said after the court ruled in favor of a writ seeking relief from unlawful detainment.

The pilots will likely return home, their lawyers said.

hiss srq
2006-12-05, 05:19 PM
Good this has been total nonsense that they were kept for so long there. Hooray for them . If I were the pilots whether or not they are requested to return to Brazil or not I would refuse. I am sure they are worn and tired.

moose135
2006-12-05, 06:49 PM
But that's the problem right there, saying you would refuse if requested to return. Do you really think that if a foreign pilot was involved in a similar incident in the US, that they would be allowed to leave the country while they were a subject of the investigation?

hiss srq
2006-12-05, 06:53 PM
I think it depends on the circumstances really. Bottom line after being held the way they were and than the accusations made against them. I do not know that I would trust them the next time around that it would be an in and out deal. Brazil is not the USA. The US giverment I do not think would have held say a Swiss Global Express crew for that long before allowing them to return had the circumstances been the same.

NIKV69
2006-12-05, 10:15 PM
It doesn't help that our relationship with Brazil is poor as well. One one hand I say cooperate on the other I say once they cross that border to never go back. So far the evidence suggests they didn't nothing wrong but let's see how the investigation goes. In the meantime they need to be home.