PDA

View Full Version : The NYCA LONG ISLAND Holiday Get together: December 28th

T-Bird76
2006-12-05, 03:24 PM
Ok as in the past we've done out Long Island dinners, I'm throwing out a date of Thurs Dec 28th at 7:30 PM at Smokin Als in Bay Shore for our "Holiday" dinner. All are welcome, drinks are on Nick V as usual. Please make a post if your plan on attending.

NIKV69
2006-12-05, 03:30 PM
Sounds good Tommy but just keep in mind that Smokin Als is not big party friendly, could be an issue with a big turnout.. The date works fine though.

Mellyrose
2006-12-05, 03:47 PM
The Admin won't be able to make that date...maybe we should aim for the next day, Thursday the 28th?

Also, maybe we should try and find a more central location so that people from NJ and Westchester, etc would have an easier time joining? Even Manhattan?

Any suggestions?

PhilDernerJr
2006-12-05, 03:57 PM
Stop referring to me as "the Admin". :-p

But, yeha, date's not looking too good from here, as I'll be working.

If it gets closer and I still can't make it, I hope you folks have a fun time!!

T-Bird76
2006-12-05, 03:59 PM
Ok we'll do it on the 28th, the 29th works to.

PhilDernerJr
2006-12-05, 04:01 PM
Both days happen to be good for me, although I'd prefer the 28th as I have work early on the 30th. But honestly, don't plan this thing around me. Make sure a day is picked that works for most other people.

T-Bird76
2006-12-05, 04:05 PM
Well I'll say the 28th as a firm date.

moose135
2006-12-05, 04:15 PM
Right now looks like the 28th works for me too...should be a fun night, maybe Tommy can show us his late night Taco Bell strategy :D

Alex T
2006-12-05, 04:33 PM
Right now looks like the 28th works for me too...should be a fun night, maybe Tommy can show us his late night Taco Bell strategy :D

and his wee moments :shock:

HAHAHA

Wish I could come guys, but it is right after xmas, i can imagine the airfares would be ridiculous.

Alex

USAF Pilot 07
2006-12-05, 10:50 PM
Hey, I might actually be able to make one of these things! I would love to meet some of the faces behind the posts! This is still a few weeks away though, I will let you know as the date gets closer.

mirrodie
2006-12-05, 11:00 PM
1930 on the Thursday works :)

jran225
2006-12-06, 09:37 AM
I might actually be in town with some friends on the 28th, so if that materializes, I'll be sure to drop by! :)

Greets,
-Omar S.

mirrodie
2006-12-06, 11:08 AM
Ah, yes, the Long Island TOOL Chapter of NYCA :)

Actually, having spoken to Highheels, I am a bit confused.

We have a game at MSG that we'd like to go to on WEds Dec 27 but we'll pass if we have to. RED STORM!!!

Is this thing on Weds Dec 27 or Thurs Dec 28?? Seeking clarification.

T-Bird76
2006-12-06, 11:41 AM
Thursday the 28th.

mirrodie
2006-12-06, 12:58 PM
and thanks for clarifying the "LONG ISLAND in the title too ;)

Mellyrose
2006-12-06, 01:05 PM
No problem ;)

lijk604
2006-12-09, 12:09 AM
Thursday the 28th.

Count me in!

hiss srq
2006-12-09, 09:21 AM
I will be there time location and directions to it would be appreciated

Mellyrose
2006-12-09, 08:54 PM
Hiss...stop skimming and READ!!!!

Thurs Dec 28th at 7:30 PM at Smokin Als in Bay Shore

The rest is up to google and google maps buddy! ;)

mirrodie
2006-12-10, 01:06 AM
HIss, where are you coming from?

hiss srq
2006-12-10, 08:43 AM
Long Beach

bonanzabucks
2006-12-10, 11:33 AM
I'm game...

mirrodie
2006-12-10, 12:09 PM
google it to Bayshore. Google makes a good call, keeps you off Sunrise Hwy for most of the trip

NIKV69
2006-12-10, 05:40 PM
My commute to my new job is kinda similiar. I take Atlantic to Merrick road right before the Meadowbrook take that to ocean pky to Robert moses parkway north. Get off at 27A heading east and once you get into town its a couple of minutes on your left. If you can't pick up Atlantic from Long Beack take 27A or just take loop parkway to ocean. Sunrise Highway sucks the big one.

mirrodie
2006-12-11, 12:18 PM
Altantic? You mean the ocean drive? That is a swweet and relaxing drive. Seeing any deer this time of year?

NIKV69
2006-12-11, 12:32 PM
I meant Atlantic ave in Oceanside, I take that instead of sunrise, I pick up the meadowbrook to Ocean parkway, yea sweet drive. Haven't see deer yet since I haven't been on it too late or near dusk, I am seeing a ton of them out east tho.

SCOTYDEMCO
2006-12-14, 10:42 PM
Ok, now that we have it all down and organized count me in!!! I heard only point and shoot cameras allowed at the restaurant. lol

NIKV69
2006-12-15, 12:16 AM
I heard only point and shoot cameras allowed at the restaurant. lol

If we end up eating in Smokin Als there won't be much room on the table for cameras. Unless you want barbecue sauce on it.

lijk604
2006-12-17, 11:35 AM
UGH...now looks like I'll be in St. Looie at this time. Make sure Tommy has some ribs for me. The ribs he had last time were a bit small. ;)

T-Bird76
2006-12-21, 12:13 PM
Ok if you would please let me know if you are going to attend or not. Also looks as if Smokin Al's has changed their Chef. The new Chef blows, so we are going to go down the street a couple of store fronts to our other favorite place Peninsula, they have the best Oriental food and sushi this side of the Great Wall of China. Please just let me know if your in. Below is the link for directions.

http://www.peninsulafs.com/

NIKV69
2006-12-21, 12:19 PM
Tommy that was the lunch chef! LOLOL besides it's a good idea anyway, Smokin als food is the best of its kind but my closet is bigger than the dining room! Penisula is better for a big group and less noisy too since we will be shooting the **** as well I will attend and I want your Altima at my door step on time!

mirrodie
2006-12-21, 01:57 PM
Are you serious? We are changing venue again?

I've got an irate pregnant lady on my hands.....and she's going to unleash hell. ;)

All said, Peninsula is great. Can't wait!

NIKV69
2006-12-21, 02:09 PM

Mario it's 4-5 doors down, you can even park in the same spot!

So tru I got some take out at this other place and it sucked!

T-Bird76
2006-12-21, 04:24 PM

I've got an irate pregnant lady on my hands.....and she's going to unleash hell. ;)

Again? We didn't change it at all, this is the first time. Peninsula can hold us better and the food is great! Smokin Als has lost our biz!

mirrodie
2006-12-21, 08:48 PM
Remember the last time we attempted to do Smokin Als and we switched to Peninsula? Like a month or 2 ago.

Anyway, the pregnant lady is a bit upset. She's been hearing about SMoking Al's and she feels robbed :(

Thanks....I have to live with it!

NIKV69
2006-12-21, 09:25 PM
Remember the last time we attempted to do Smokin Als and we switched to Peninsula? Like a month or 2 ago.

Yep, it was more of the same, you really can't do more than 4 people in that place it's so small. Typical storefront. You know Mario there is no law against taking your wife out to dinner, ya know.. Alone!

lijk604
2006-12-24, 09:49 PM
Peninsula, they have the best Oriental food and sushi this side of the Great Wall of China. Please just let me know if your in. Below is the link for directions.

As much as I wish I could be there, I'll still be working in St. Louis. Have a drink for me guys, I'll be there in spirit!

Art at ISP
2006-12-27, 07:33 PM
Well, it finally worked out.

I will be joining tomorrow evening, although family will be otherwise occupied.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

T-Bird76
2006-12-27, 08:50 PM
Ok everyone lets plan on meeting at 7 for drinks and dinner at 7:30.

mirrodie
2006-12-28, 11:21 AM
Im in the office til 1900 but I'll see if I can swing an early day.

Ciao
MJC

hiss srq
2006-12-28, 02:28 PM
Still working out the logistics I need to be in Farmingdale flr a little bit... Tommy I will call you in about an hour or two when I know a little more. Worse comes to worse I will swing by for a drink because now I have to take my little sister to a function

mirrodie
2006-12-28, 04:52 PM
Can't wait for the day to be over.

So who is definitely going?

Tom
Art
Nicholas
myself
highheels

*of course, we'll toast in rememberance of Klos.*

NIKV69
2006-12-28, 04:55 PM
Moose is coming. Hiss is trying.

hiss srq
2006-12-28, 04:58 PM
Hiss will most likely make a slightly delayed appearnce for drinks unfortuneately tagging along the sister more than likely

mirrodie
2006-12-28, 05:34 PM
THE MOOSE IS LOOSE!

THE MOOSE is LOOSE!

I just love that.

Bellucciman
2006-12-28, 05:36 PM
I hope everyone had and is having a great Holiday Season! I'm sorry I missed both get togethers. I hope in the future I can meet some other members in a social gathering.

Have fun all and have a HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Jonesbeach
2006-12-28, 07:03 PM
I'll be there. See you guys later.

Steve

hiss srq
2006-12-28, 11:20 PM
Good times sorry tokey the bear (my sister) was a bit of a nag but we must do this again in the near future

mirrodie
2006-12-28, 11:46 PM
Great to see you all! Glad to see such a nice crowd!

As Highheels soared home (at 70MPH, mind you), a corvette streaked by us at over 100 MPH. We thought we were standing still.

A few exits later, SCPD pulled him over at our exit. As we drove my I pulled down the window, threw my first up and cheered!

Isnt life wonderful?

NIKV69
2006-12-29, 01:37 AM
As we drove my I pulled down the window, threw my first up and cheered!

Aren't you the hypocrite!

As Highheels soared home (at 70MPH, mind you

Ohh sure go slow when you have your wife in the car.

Good times tonight, glad to see all.

Art at ISP
2006-12-29, 09:45 AM
It was great to see old friends and meet new friends last night. I am sorry my stomach was acting up but it passed by this morning.

I would definitely do this again--and lets consider moving a little west so the city folk can join.

Happy New Year all,

Art

mirrodie
2006-12-29, 10:16 AM
[quote]As we drove my I pulled down the window, threw my first up and cheered!

Aren't you the hypocrite!

As Highheels soared home (at 70MPH, mind you

Ohh sure go slow when you have your wife in the car.

Good times tonight, glad to see all.[/quote:2573e]

HELLO!!! SNAP ON TOOL!!! SHE was DRIVING!!! :shock: :shock:

And remember, I just like to takeoff and accelerate. Cruising at 70+ is boring. But watching blatant nuttiness on the road and having them get caught? Priceless!

As Art said, perhaps NAssau/Western Nassau should be considered for future events?? Mineola comes to mind since it has the best LIRR service and that could help all around. And in fact, I think Phil knows if a place there!

As for Peninsula, the food and ambience was great. The lucky roll was refreshing....salmon, eel and tuna wrapped in cucumber, no rice...and hte Ultimate creamy prawns were AWESOME!

NIKV69
2006-12-29, 11:33 AM
HELLO!!! SNAP ON TOOL!!! SHE was DRIVING!!!

Something you should consider as a permanent thing!

And remember, I just like to takeoff and accelerate

After the Cross Bronx how can I ever forget?

As for Peninsula, the food and ambience was great. The lucky roll was refreshing....salmon, eel and tuna wrapped in cucumber, no rice...and hte Ultimate creamy prawns were AWESOME!

Yes that sushi was awesome, much like everything in there.

As Art said, perhaps NAssau/Western Nassau should be considered for future events?? Mineola comes to mind since it has the best LIRR service and that could help all around. And in fact, I think Phil knows if a place there!

Mineola is perfect. It is the most central local.

mirrodie
2006-12-29, 11:43 AM
Mineola is perfect. It is the most central local.

locale?

After the Cross Bronx how can I ever forget? Are you that much of am old man that a little bit of speed wears you out? ;)

Now Nik, show us all a photo of your tool towel. :D It is our highest award.

All in all, we were glad to see Steve, Art, Tom, John, Eric, Ryan, and Nicholas. Talks of all that flying had me jealous :)

SengaB
2006-12-29, 12:00 PM
I have heard this word "tool" thrown around occasionally by local photographers. What is a "tool"?

When I have heard it is it usually being used to describe another photographer what does it mean?

Am I a tool?
Senga

T-Bird76
2006-12-29, 12:09 PM
I have heard this word "tool" thrown around occasionally by local photographers. What is a "tool"?

When I have heard it is it usually being used to describe another photographer what does it mean?

Am I a tool?
Senga

A tool is a Nikon user who worships Sam Chui, i.e Nick. Ah for that matter all Nikon users!!! AHAHAHAHA :wink: :wink:

Alex T
2006-12-29, 01:07 PM

Am I a tool?
Senga

A tool is a Nikon user who worships Sam Chui, i.e Nick. Ah for that matter all Nikon users!!! AHAHAHAHA :wink: :wink:

HEY! :evil:

I am a Nikon user too!

Alex

T-Bird76
2006-12-29, 01:10 PM
[quote=SengaB]I have heard this word "tool" thrown around occasionally by local photographers. What is a "tool"?

Am I a tool?
Senga

HEY! :evil:

I am a Nikon user too!

Alex[/quote:f9e8a]

I rest my case.... LOLOLOL

NIKV69
2006-12-29, 01:45 PM
locale?

Oh no Mario is correcting my spelling, I am done..

Now Nik, show us all a photo of your tool towel. It is our highest award.

Will do a little later I got nine things going on here.

Am I a tool?

Hmm it's a long story Senga, should tell you in person. Your not a tool though. :mrgreen:

I am a Nikon user too!

What camera you get Alex?

mirrodie
2006-12-30, 03:42 PM

Tool (insult)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The word "tool" may be used as an insult, describing someone who is being used by an establishment willingly (as a sycophant) or unwillingly (as one who blindly conforms). Tool was popularized as slang in the 1990s and 2000s.

The term most commonly describes someone who is being manipulated by large corporations or governments. In this context, the term is thought to be a shortening of the phrase "tool of the system". The insult is used in Western counter-culture to describe strong proponents of those institutions, who seem to truly believe in what is thought of as a mass deception. Tool may also be used to refer to members of the counterculture who conform to a prefabricated concept of rebellious behavior (eg. tattoos, intentionally ripped clothing, long hair and earrings on males). In this sense, tool refers to a person who mindlessly buys into pop culture or subcultural trends (eg. poseur, scenester). Tool can also be used to describe someone who follows a certain trend (eg. mini mohawk style hair, pink shirts, and a popped collar).

and from http://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~wrader/slang/t.html
tool n 1. a person who is impressionable, easily used by others; LOSER; WANNA-BE. ("That guy is such a tool. He would do anything to be accepted.")
toolbox n 1. someone who is an extreme "tool". Note: etymology suggests that they are not just one "tool", but rather an entire set. ("That guy is such a toolbox.") 2. a group of "tools". ("Yeah, like I would go to their toolbox party.")

Those are the slang definitions. But in reality, a 'tool' was whatever definition you give it. Ie. Tom's definition states that tools shoot Nikon. (I love that definition :twisted: :mrgreen: )

But on this site, the definition has evolved to truly be a non-offensive term of endearment. Tom's a Makita, Nik is a Snap-on, Moose, well, the moose is loose, Phil is a Stanley, I'm a DeWalt, Eric's a Craftsman, etc. It's basically evolved that we're all a bunch of tools here. :lol: It's a thrice beaten dead horse of a joke that lives.

Actually, next time I see you, I'll go in greater detail. Ask me about CS too.

Am I a tool?
Senga

Buddy, you're a tool in my book. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: We just have to get you a brand name now :D

Alex T
2006-12-30, 05:04 PM
Nik-

I am a Nikon Coolpics 5400 User.

Alex

SengaB
2006-12-30, 06:33 PM
Wow thx for bringing me up to speed guys! :) I've never use slang terms and stuff so I am always in the dark when people sue things like that.
What a funny word. I'm like the Spock of aviaiton photography....so literal in my usage of the language.

Senga