PDA

View Full Version : DL 757 Close Call at JFK on Monday 11-27

LGA777
2006-11-28, 10:35 PM
Sorry I have not had time to post this sooner. I have a friend who is also one of my bosses who lives in Nassau County and spends many hours every week listening to various JFK freqs on his scanner. He called me last night very concerned about DL 481, a 757 operating TPA-JFK with a no nose gear indication. Even though it was dark he went outside as he knew from the scanner it was to close to his area and through binoculars he could see that the nose gear doors where open but the nose gear was not down. Shorty there after the 757 flew by the JFK Tower and they made the same observation. There was also a low fuel situation and I stayed on the phone and could hear the crew on the scanner thru the phone The Captain said we will need the longest runway and plan it on it being closed once we land. As they where preparing for the emergency landing I guess they recycled the gear because they called back with 3 green lights. They wanted to do another flyby to confirm but they did not have enough fuel. They ended up heading for 22L and I could actually see there lights from my Ramp Tower at LGA making a big left turn for a very short left base to 22L. LGA was doing the Whitestone climb off 13 and JFK was NOT landing 22 so they ended up flying into LGA's airspace. Happily they landed safety and did a full stop on the runway where DL MTC checked the nose gear which checked out ok. They then proceeded to taxi to the gate but they had no nosewheel steering so MTC came back and towed the 757 to the gate.BTW way was Ship 637 and everyone involved seemed have done a great job ! Here is a link to an a.net thread that may allow you to listen to the LiveATC archives.

http://www1.airliners.net/discussions/g ... n/3118167/ (http://www1.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/3118167/)

Regards

LGA777

Mellyrose
2006-11-28, 10:48 PM
What time did this happen?

LGA777
2006-11-29, 01:44 AM
Happened around 1930 Monday night.

Cheers

LGA777