PDA

View Full Version : New Rules Regarding Grammar and Posting

Administrator
2006-11-24, 07:33 PM
Hi Members,

In an effort to improve and maintain the high quality of the message boards, we are going to begin enforcing rules that pertain to spelling, grammar and other literary necessities.

As a general rule of thumb, we will not be very strict, but the goal is to make sure that posts are easily readable and have a common appearance in regards to the board’s flow.

Please keep the following in mind:

- Make sure that at least the first letter of a thread’s title has a capital letter. If not, all words in the title should start with a capital letter. This ensures an attractive appearance in the thread listings.

- Use periods in between sentences. Not using periods and making one big run-on makes the threads tougher to read. Don’t rush through your posts..

- Use capitals in your posts as needed, such as in the beginning of sentences, for appropriate aviation terms, etc. This, too, makes it easier to read and maintains a good appearance.

I don’t want you folks to think that we are going to be sticklers about this. If you misspell a couple words or miss a comma, we’re not going to mod your post like crazy. But our moderators have been spending way too much time adding capital letters to thread titles, adding periods to run-ons, and to be quite honest, fixing posts like a school teacher fixes a 7-year-old's essay about why he loves his own feet.

Think about how you would submit work to your boss or answer questions on a school test. How you post represents you, and will affect how people view our general member base on the site.

Because we do not have suspension capabilities, after a couple of warnings (some people have received warnings in the past as it is) we will initiate a ban. This is for the integrity and post quality of the message board.

Again, we’re not going to start dropping the hammer on people for petty stuff. Just be sure to slow down and look over your posts before you submit them.

PLEASE ask questions that you might have.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-Phil Derner, Jr.
Site Administator

PHL Approach
2006-11-24, 07:45 PM
Is this a joke? You gotta be joking Phil, right :|

This is something Johan would do. I find it to ironic about the 'Site Administrator' title. Im going to keep thinking someone put you up to this as a joke.

For all I know this might not even be Phil... :lol:

ummmmm, Im gonna need you to come in at 3am, yeaaaaaaaaa

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-24, 07:54 PM
I created an Administrator title mainly for posting the new editorials in the Editorial forum. But, it also comes into play in new rules. In the past, people have seemed to have been bothered by some posts of mine because I run the site, so the "administrator" account lets me post as the person that runs it, and the "Phil D." account lets me be Phil.

We get a lot of posts where the thread title is "look at this" which offers no clue as to what the post is about, and poor grammar, which really does affect the integrity of the boards.

Then, the post in the thread will appear as "i saw this today i couldn't believe what i saw did anyone ever see that i think its nuts" which is a big run-on that nobody wants to read.

Like I said, we aren't going to start cracking down on people. But when one person wants to make 100 posts that look like cell phone text messages, it not only makes themselves look like bad, but it makes newcomers who are considering joining the site think that NYCAviation is a site full of 424 10-year-olds.

I'm trying to make the site flow well and maintain a fair middle ground. 99.5% of the people on this site have nothing to worry about.

Mellyrose
2006-11-24, 07:58 PM
Also, I think a lot of people don't realize the severity of this because the mods are really on top of these errors immediately. If we never modded anything, you'd see the consistant mistakes and the boards wouldn't flow as well.

jran225
2006-11-25, 09:14 AM
I think this is a great idea Phil, hope it works. :)

Greets,
-Omar S.

Midnight Mike
2006-11-25, 01:01 PM
You know what I think is sad? Is that somebody has to tell us to use the proper grammar.

Also, the other item that drives me crazy, is if people can either quote people when making a response to a thread, or write the person's name at the beginning of the response, kind of like writing a letter, Dear _____

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v726/MidnightMike/Smileys/popcorn.gif

SengaB
2006-11-25, 09:27 PM
I's jus don't no wut two think Phil. Peaple ain't use da ABC letter checker thang you be havein have fo us?

I howp it werx

NIKV69
2006-11-26, 12:23 AM
Well I am going to miss Mario and Hiss in the forums!

Good job Phil. This is needed.

nwafan20
2006-11-26, 04:53 PM
I think that this rule was definitely needed. I can't tell you how many times on this board, or other boards, that I read "yeah dat was sooo kewl like did u see him do dat the other day like it was totally nutz i mean i cant ever do dat bcause i would liek hert myseellf!"

I can't even post a response, because if I did I would end up flaming the person so bad he would leave! Why can't some people take the time to either/or
A. use spell check
B. take an extra 20 seconds and write it out properly
C. re-read their own post!

Thanks for this Phil!

uplander
2006-11-26, 06:13 PM
if people can either quote people when making a response to a thread, or write the person's name at the beginning of the response

On that note, how do you insert the person's name in the Quote tag? :oops: Like what I'm missing in the Quote above.

Matt Molnar
2006-11-27, 12:20 AM
[quote="uplander"]

Midnight Mike
2006-11-27, 08:11 AM
if people can either quote people when making a response to a thread, or write the person's name at the beginning of the response

On that note, how do you insert the person's name in the Quote tag? :oops: Like what I'm missing in the Quote above.

You mean like this?

markg
2006-11-27, 01:57 PM
I think you've done the right thing Phil.

If any of you have the time take a look at http://www.groups.yahoo.com/group/emag and you would be horrified at some of the grammar on there.

Personally I hope I am not one of the guilty ones, as I hate to add extra work for anyone.

My spelling may sometimes be a bit off, purely because of the language barrier between English and English (I mean American!)

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-27, 02:21 PM
No worries Mark, you're not a problem member.

This isn't so much about spelling as much as it is about overuse of slang terminology and lack of needed capitlaizationa nd puncuation that we need to make the board flow properly.

This rule is in place to let people know in advance should any problems arise. I assure you all that no one would be worried about these new rules.

emshighway
2006-11-27, 02:23 PM
If anyone needs a spell checker for internet explorer look at http://www.iespell.com/

It is free!!

uplander
2006-11-27, 02:26 PM
quote="uplander"

You mean like this?

Hey, it works. Thanks.