PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Announces the D40 Entry-level D-SLR

emshighway
2006-11-16, 09:32 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=4972

Nikon has a new entry-level D-SLR ready for consumers

Nikon is filling out its entry-level D-SLR lineup by slotting the new D40 below the existing D50. According to Nikon it's the company's smallest and lightest D-SLR to date.

The D40 incorporates a 6.1MP Nikon DX format CCD image sensor along with the Nikon Image Processing Engine. The camera is ready to take its first shot just 0.18 seconds after powering on and can capture shots at 2.5 FPS for up 100 shots (JPEG mode only). Images are captured onto a Secure Digital memory card (SDHC is supported) and images can be reviewed on the 2.5" color LCD screen. The viewfinder provides x0.8 magnification and 95% coverage. The D40 also comes bundled with a revised version of the AF-S DX 18-55mm lens found on the D50.

Being that this is an entry-level model, Nikon had to skimp in quite a few areas. The D40 features a 3-point auto-focus system and a body made completely of plastic. According to DPReview, however, the plastics used on the D40 are quite durable and are of high quality. DPReview also mentioned that while the Nikon D40 is smaller than the recently introduced Canon Digital Rebel XTi, it features a better hand grip and is much easier to handle.

Nikon's D40 will be available this December with an estimated MSRP of $599.95 with the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G ED II AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor lens.

FlyingColors
2006-11-23, 11:45 PM
Its sound quite close in performance and build construction to a D100, that was cutting edge in 2002.

Like its been said, electronics age in dog years....

NcSchu
2006-11-24, 11:11 AM
I might try to get this for Christmas this year. Being that it's relatively inexpensive, but still a good camera, can anyone tell me whether it will take good Aviation shots? I know what all that technobabble means, but I don't know if it is good enough.

FlyingColors
2006-11-24, 05:27 PM
I might try to get this for Christmas this year. Being that it's relatively inexpensive, but still a good camera, can anyone tell me whether it will take good Aviation shots? I know what all that technobabble means, but I don't know if it is good enough.

Its a D-SLR, a winner.

nwafan20
2006-11-24, 06:19 PM
Better than any point and shoot you can get, but it isn't going to take pictures that you would see from a more advanced SLR, like any Canon ;)

FlyingColors
2006-11-27, 01:57 AM
Better than any point and shoot you can get, but it isn't going to take pictures that you would see from a more advanced SLR, like any Canon ;)

Hey, you can keep that at the A-net forums please. Were all friends here, lol!