PDA

View Full Version : A.net: Trouble in T4 Customs

Winglets747
2006-11-04, 12:39 PM
Not my story, but still an interesting read.

http://www.airliners.net/discussions/ge ... n/3080512/ (http://www.airliners.net/discussions/general_aviation/read.main/3080512/)

-Will

Matt Molnar
2006-11-04, 01:55 PM
It was a bad idea to whip out his camera inside the customs hall, but for the agent to force him to delete all his photos is disgraceful. This is something you hear of happening in 1980s eastern Europe...except they didn't have digital cameras back then, they would just rip the film out and toss it.

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-04, 02:05 PM
I agree. The photographer should have known better, but the reaction fromthe guard was a bit much, and he didn't have "jurisdiction" to force him to delete photos that were not taken at that very location.

Either way, I sense a debate coming on. haha

Iberia A340-600
2006-11-04, 05:50 PM
In Terminal 7 I was coming off of an Iberia flight from MAD and was walking down towards immigration when an officer stopped my in the hallway and told me not to take any pictures when I got down which is understandable because it's just the immigration center down there and no windows.

At Terminal 4 I came off of a jet Blue flight from SJU and passed by security and noted a TAM A330-200 and went over and took a picture and a security guard came over and told me no pictures which is also understandable because I was right infront of security but I didn't take a photo of the security place.

At Terminal 1 I came off of an Air France flight from CDG and was in the hallway walking towards immigration, which has large windows over looking the apron, and I took a picture of a departing 747 and a guard came over and told me not to take any pictures. I mean this wasn't even near the immigration area but it was in the hallway leading to it.

At EWR right across from security I took a photo and no one moved a finger.

I guess it really depends on the guard or agent?

SengaB
2006-11-04, 06:49 PM
Unfortunatly this happens at EWR, JFK. I don't know about LGA though. I know several photogs that have had this happen to them.
Senga

T-Bird76
2006-11-04, 08:34 PM
There are three sides to every story, his, there's and the truth. The fact is if he was within the customs area then he should have known better. What he took pictures of we'll never know. If any of those pictures had any part of the customs area then yes customs does have the right to delete them. However if customs deleted other stuff then I'd be in jail because if it was me I'd laugh in their face.

NIKV69
2006-11-04, 08:44 PM
Basically it boils down to this. You are not allowed to shoot in customs area. So don't. In the public parts of the Term you can take pics as long as you don't point the camera at security checkpoints so stay in these guidelines and you avoid the drama.

FlyingColors
2006-11-09, 01:41 PM
All things considered, I'm now starting to carry extra cards with me while shooting.

After I get a few "good ones" I'll swap a card in, or keep going back and forth from a blank one.

Another idea you can do is mark your better photos so they can't be eased until you remove the lock.

And when I get "the right one" asking me to "trash my shots" , I'll slip out my roll of film. Yes I do keep a roll of film in my camera bag, always.

(granted if a sign in an area says no pics--then don't test it)

SengaB
2006-11-09, 03:19 PM
Mike, I do the same thing. This is why I have extra CF cards. After I get something REALY good I put the card in a place where I don't have to worry about it anymore. What could be worse than shooting a one time aircraft and then having to be worse than handing over your film, CF cards or deleted pix so you lose that great shot. When I shoot film, I too have a extra roll of film "already exposed to light". A photographer I know was shooting inside EWR and was forced to hand over his memory card and film to the Cops. He said he only had 1 plane taken eveything else was family and friend pix.

Thats a good practive to have Mike

Senga

Midnight Mike
2006-11-09, 04:09 PM
It could have been much worse, though it was a little unusual for the agent to delete the shots....

Not cool to be taking photos inside of Customs....

So, I would say that the Photographer got off easy with having the photos deleted, hell, the agent could have asked for his memory card.....