PDA

View Full Version : AA 191 on now on the History Channel!

nwafan20
2006-11-01, 11:31 PM
The Crash of flight AA191 is on the History channel right now.

nwafan20
2006-11-01, 11:47 PM
At the first ad break I will summarize:

AA191 was the DC-10 flight that dropped it's engine on takeoff from ORD, then banked to the left and crashed. This was basically the end of the DC-10 program, most airlines canceled orders or decided to go for Boeing. I believe the death total was somewhere around 271 including 2 deaths on the ground but that is just off the top of my head.

The program so far is very well done, highly recommended

PhilDernerJr
2006-11-02, 12:06 AM
I'd love to get that on tape. I've always wanted to learn more about this crash.

moose135
2006-11-02, 11:13 AM
I'd love to get that on tape. I've always wanted to learn more about this crash.

I've seen this one before, so I guess they run it from time to time.

The short version is #1 engine came off the left wing on takeoff, the aircraft climbed to about 300 feet, rolled left past vertical and nosed over, the crash killed 271 on board and 2 on the ground.

The longer version: AA maintenance practices called for removing the engine and pylon together during engine changes, using a forklift to support the unit. McDonnell Douglas didn't recommend this practice, but airlines are responsible for maintenance after delivery so they couldn't stop AA. During the last engine change, after the forward pylon-to-wing connection was removed, there was a shift change, and for some reason (whether the forklift hydraulic pressure dropped) the engine assembly moved, damaging the aft pylon-to-wing connection. This damage resulted in cracks which, over time, expanded.

When Flt 191 took off, the aft connection failed entirely, causing the engine to rotate up and over the wing, separating from the aircraft. The crew didn't know the engine came off, only that they lost power, and performed the engine-out procedures. The co-pilot was flying, and the loss of the engine caused the electrical system powering the pilot's instruments to go out. They were able to climb to approximately 300 feet.

At that point, several things conspired to cause them to crash. Both hydraulic lines (primary and secondary) were located in the leading edge of the wing, and both were damaged when the engine departed. This loss of hydraulics allowed the leading edge slats on the left wing to retract, causing a loss of lift. Also, procedures called for the crew to fly at V2 speed for an engine out climb. They were already above V2, and slowed to V2, using the excess speed to gain altitude. However, with the loss of the LE slats, V2 was too slow. Finally, on the DC-10, the stick-shaker stall warning was only an option on the co-pilot's control column, and AA did not opt to have it installed. With the pilot's instruments out, his stick-shaker did not activate, therefore they did not know they were entering a stall until it was too late to recover.

Several things came out of this crash. A stick-shaker system is now required on both control columns, powered by independent electrical systems. Also, if flying faster than V2 when an engine is lost, the crew should remain at that higher speed (up to V2+10 knots). Finally, maintenance procedures were changed regarding engine changes.

mirrodie
2006-11-02, 11:39 AM
Great show, I missed it , I was watching the BMI 737 double engine out show on Nat'l Geographic.

Ive seen the AA191 show, Moose did a great show summarizing it. Very educational but its sad that so many lives are lost in order for us to learn. But at least we do learn, hopefully that is a way to remember those lost.

DHG750R
2006-11-03, 03:17 AM
Moose , that was a perfect summary .. great job !

NIKV69
2006-11-03, 08:57 AM

Buy the DVD, you will be better off.

Awesome documentary. I found it appalling that the one couple that lost someone in the crash also lost their parents in the crash of AA Flt 1 on 3/1/62 and when they showed up to their airport to fly to NY AA made them pay for their round trip ticket. Way to go AA! How bad is that?

Otherwise I think it was a great informative documentary on our worst single plane crash.